December 13th, 2010

Essential Tools

Links to most of the items you’ll see in this video can be found on my Frequently Asked Questions page, under “Knitting Supplies”.

1. Wonderful video, Staci. I have searched a bit for the crochet hook/knitting needle combo. Can you share the source. I would love to grab up a handful for some fellow knitting friends. I carry crochet hoods in my bag.. but sometimes I need that extra needle to fix a mistake, too.

Comment by Maria Henderson — December 14, 2010 @ 10:53 am

2. Hi Staci!…I really enjoy watching your videos. I haven’t been knitting for very long, but I have learned to knit hats, socks and other items. I have been trying to find a pink box like yours, but I am not having any luck. (PINK is my favorite color)>>> I know what I am writing does not have anything to do with this video, but I had to tell you that I think you are so talented…pardon me for saying this, but you are pretty too. I wish you would come out with dvds. Staci, I want to ask you something. Is speed important in knitting? I am not very fast at it, but I am as relaxed as I can get. I LOVE TO KNIT…..I also can’t knit with both my hands holding the needles, like you do. It is hard for me. Is it important to hold both needles? I hope what I have written makes sense. Well I better let you go. THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ THIS!!

Comment by Robin Watchous — December 15, 2010 @ 12:51 am

3. Oh Staci…The box I mean is the school box. THANKS>>>

Comment by Robin Watchous — December 15, 2010 @ 12:52 am

4. Love your video. What an excellent job. Thanks for sharing.

Comment by Denise — December 15, 2010 @ 12:39 pm

5. I’m so sorry I haven’t responded to these comments! WordPress was holding all of the comments for approval, for some unknown reason. I only just found out that there were comments!

The awesome little tool that I show you is called a Silvalume Handi tool, and can be found here: http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=prd60961

Comment by s t a c i — December 18, 2010 @ 9:36 am

6. Your knitting basket is so neat and organized. Mine doesn’t look anything like that! You’ve inspired me to clean up my stuff. Mine is an absolute mess! Thank you for sharing!

Amy

Comment by Amy — December 20, 2010 @ 3:58 pm

7. Hello, your videos and knitting talent are wonderful. Socks are the important thing forme to learn and I thank you for your vids. Can you please tell me where and the name of your row counter. And can you buy thr videos to have for trips on dvd player?
    Linda

Comment by Linda — December 22, 2010 @ 10:41 am

8. Hi Linda – the row counter that I use is called a Clover Knitting Stitch Counter Mini Kacha-Kacha. (Long enough name??) Anyway, they are for sale on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WUXO4W/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001HZOY5O&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=117YR3YB54JZR9SQXR5M

Hope that helps –

Comment by s t a c i — December 22, 2010 @ 5:23 pm

9. I just found your site about a week ago and I love it! Has been very helpful in my sock knitting endeavors. I was wondering if you would be able to tell me where you found the small box that you keep your stitch markers, needles, etc. I love that it has the closures on top for each little compartment. Thanks in advance…=)

Comment by Anna — January 1, 2011 @ 12:53 pm

10. Hi Anna – I’ve found the little stitch marker case online…it is called “The Perfection Notion Case”, and it is available on Amazon:

Comment by s t a c i — January 2, 2011 @ 7:52 am

11. can you recommend a yarn winder? it’s not covered in your essential tools.

Comment by Sherry — January 6, 2011 @ 9:19 am

12. Hi Sherry – I’ve never seen much of a difference from one ball winder to the next, so I don’t have much of a recommendation, other than price. Knit Picks has a nice winder, and the price is about half of what you’d pay on other websites:

Comment by s t a c i — January 6, 2011 @ 9:40 am

13. I was wondering where you purchased your ring markers. I’ve been looking for smaller thinner ones that open. I have the rubbery type I think from Clover but I find them to be too fat and they don’t open. I also have the kind that do open but find they get in the way and are too big when knitting socks.

Comment by Sharon — June 24, 2012 @ 10:40 pm

14. Hey Staci can you please tell me where you got that little box that you keep your stitch makers and things in please ive been searching high and low for a box like this and can not find one!

Comment by Shan — September 12, 2012 @ 6:52 pm

15. Shan – that pink box can be found here:

Comment by s t a c i — September 12, 2012 @ 6:56 pm

16. Hey first Thanks for a wonderfull webside :) I’m from Denmark and I have found most of the things you have in your box in Denmark. But the big box you have I havent found, where can i find it??
    From Bettina.

Comment by Bettina Klit Eriksen — November 3, 2012 @ 2:27 am

17. I forgot to ask where I can find those ringmarkers
    From Bettina

Comment by Bettina Klit Eriksen — November 3, 2012 @ 2:30 am

18. HI Bettina – most of the items you’ll see in my videos (including this one) are listed and linked on my Frequently Asked Questions page. The ring markers are from here. The large pink box is just a cheap box sold as a pencil box for school children – nothing fancy.

Comment by s t a c i — November 3, 2012 @ 7:47 am

19. Can’t thank you enough. I’ve gleaned so much from your tutorials and recommend them to anyone who wants to learn the “ins and outs” of knitting. Also love the products you’ve introduced me to, including those pretty metal beaded stitch markers and that little box you store your stitch markers in. It’s become an absolute essential for me. I have various sizes of stitch markers, tapestry needle, and bits of scrap yarn at hand for any situation.

Comment by Sandy — January 27, 2013 @ 1:54 am

20. I love my Addie Turbo circular needles. But I finally measured one and found that the cable itself wasn’t the length mentioned in the size, the overall length (needle tip to needle tip) was the length on the size. Are all circular needles this way? When patterns specify a certain length of circular, is this supposed to be the cable length or the tip-to-tip length like my Addis? Thanks for explaining.

Comment by Joan Tengler-Boyd — June 12, 2013 @ 11:52 am