November 9th, 2011

Knit 1 Below (K1B)

1. hey i so love ur vids and i can proudly say that you tought me better than what i learnt in my school … u r a good teacher really .. but i kinda have request will u pllllz make a vid about Turkish cast-on aka eastern cast-on coz i find it very difficult to do thank you so much for ur effort :)

Comment by mona — November 9, 2011 @ 11:02 am

2. Interesting and very clear. My only question is what is the “effect” or look that is achieved by doing a K1B? Probably something I should know, but pretty much a rank beginner here. Thanks Staci!

Comment by Stuart — November 9, 2011 @ 11:50 am

3. Your video tutorials are top-notch. The production values are great–the camera angles, sound and video quality. Your instructions are clear and to the point. You have a friendly on-camera presence ( as I’m sure you do off-camera as well). Thank you so much for your videos. It’s obvious that you put a lot of thought and effort into them.

Comment by Tamara — November 9, 2011 @ 12:01 pm

4. You did it again Staci~
    Another great clear video.
    What size needles are they that you use for your videos?
    I’m teaching 4-H girls and thought of using size 11.

Comment by Grace Mae~ — November 9, 2011 @ 1:31 pm

5. thanks staci, ive learned sumthing new from you again, always a pleasure.

Comment by stephanie alekna — November 9, 2011 @ 3:47 pm

6. Stuart – the effect is similar to that of slipped stitches. You end up with a double-long V in your work. They are usually worked in columns for the full effect. It’s like short stitches ribbed with long stitches, in that case.

Comment by s t a c i — November 9, 2011 @ 4:15 pm

7. Grace – in my videos, I use a size 10.5 needle to demonstrate. When I teach in person, I use mega size 17s.

Comment by s t a c i — November 9, 2011 @ 4:16 pm

8. Thanks Staci! That definitely helps me visual the result.

Comment by Stuart — November 9, 2011 @ 5:12 pm

9. Staci, I love your tutorials, thanks so much. This one is very interesting and now I can try knitting the Fisherman’s Rib, which I saw has the K1B in it and couldn’t figure it out. Thanks again!

Comment by Iliana — November 9, 2011 @ 8:04 pm

10. Thanks Staci!

Comment by Kim — November 12, 2011 @ 1:09 pm

11. As always a great tutorial. Thanks Staci

Comment by Charlene — November 14, 2011 @ 6:03 pm

12. Thanks Staci~ I tried to do this stitch but my yarn unravels a lot on the back of the work. I need to use it in a bag pattern I found on Ravelry.
    Can you help me??

Comment by Grace Mae~ — November 23, 2011 @ 11:24 pm

13. Grace Mae – it sounds like you’re working the stitch properly, but you’re having tension issues. All I can say is to keep practicing it!

Comment by s t a c i — November 24, 2011 @ 7:56 am

14. ANOTHER wonderful teaching video Staci – thank you so much! As a relatively new knitter, I have learned so much from your videos and FB page. I appreciate the time you take to help…

Comment by Cheryl — December 1, 2011 @ 9:17 pm

15. Thanks for the video! No one on the web tackles the knitting problem of “unknitting” K1B. It is very frustrating to have inches & inches of a K1B done and be unable to correct a mistake that one has made by knitting into a stitch that should have been a K1B and so on. Could you help with this?

Comment by Sue James — December 5, 2011 @ 9:28 am

16. Hi Sue – I’m a bit confused by your question. Are you looking to take out stitches that were mistakenly knit as K1Bs when they should not have been? If that is the case, I recommend one of two things – if you only have a few stitches to remove, then carefully unravel them, one by one, and put the live (loose) stitch back up on the left needle as you unravel it. Or, once you unravel a few of them, you should be able to identify which stitch needs to be picked up on the left needle, and you can do a more effective “tinking” or unknitting:

If you have “inches and inches” of stitches to remove, as you say, then I recommend pulling out your needle and ripping back to a place before the mistakes, and reinserting your needle through each live stitch.

Using lifelines periodically in your work will help make it easier to recover from big mistakes:

Comment by s t a c i — December 5, 2011 @ 9:43 am

17. That was probably one of the most clearly-worded instructional videos I’ve watched in a long time; thank you for the clarity!

I’m knitting a sweater that calls for a K1B and, seeing that I’ve never used this stitch before, I wanted to see how it was done. Unfortunately, a lot of the videos I’ve seen prior to yours didn’t show the K1B clearly or slowly enough for me to see what the knitter was doing!

Once again, thank you!

Sweater in question: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/misti-brioche-honeycomb-sweater

Comment by Marie — April 10, 2013 @ 12:03 am