December 22nd, 2011

Learn to Knit Entrelac

After many, many requests for an Entrelac tutorial, I’m SUPER EXCITED to be able to offer this. And it’s FREE!

In this tutorial, we’re using a free pattern designed by Allison LoCicero from frecklesandpurls.com. You can get your free copy of the pattern HERE.

Happy Holidays from Verypink Headquarters!

Yarn: 4 skeins of Noro Silk Garden (or 440 yards of any worsted weight yarn, preferably “long strand” variegated)
Needles: Size 8 US, circulars or straights
Additional Materials: Row counter (optional, but I highly encourage it)

Here are direct links to the different sections in the video:
Intro 00:00: http://youtu.be/B4GGXzurphk
Base Triangles / 00:58: http://youtu.be/B4GGXzurphk?t=58s
Tier 1 / 08:42: http://youtu.be/B4GGXzurphk?t=8m42s
Tier 2 / 20:59: http://youtu.be/B4GGXzurphk?t=20m59s
Final Tier Triangles / 24:35: http://youtu.be/B4GGXzurphk?t=24m35s

1. Thanks sooo much!! I’ve taught myself entrelac, but this way I’ll at least have a video that let’s me know exactly how to do it and whether or not I’ve been doing it right!!

Have a great Christmas!!

Comment by Krissy Wise — December 22, 2011 @ 11:42 am

2. I just want to tell you that I love you!!!! I just decided the other day to take on Entrelac and here is a tutorial. I’ve bought 2 of your patterns and I’ll buy more. I’m such a big fan!

Merry Christmas.

Ps. I’m a beginning (little) knitter but when I grow up to be an advanced (big) knitter I wanna be just like you!

Comment by Xultar — December 22, 2011 @ 12:39 pm

3. Ohhhh Staci…I know that it is Christmas and all but I must say that every time I get an email from you, I’m like a kid on Christmas morning that just received the best gift ever!! You are soooo appreciated and respected. Lots of love and have a great Christmas. xo

Comment by Kim — December 22, 2011 @ 1:41 pm

4. this looks like the project that will get me started on Entrelac. Thank you for the tutorial.

Comment by Maureen E. Donovan-McLaughlin — December 22, 2011 @ 6:29 pm

5. Thank you! I have always shied away from enterlac because it looks sooo complicated. You did a wonderful job explaining the technique. I am looking forward to making the scarf.

Comment by Sheryl — December 22, 2011 @ 6:42 pm

6. Oh I just saw Entrelac demonstrated on a TV show last week and I was captivated. Thank you for this tutorial, I was having a bit of difficult time trying to get it from just written instruction. I’ll be off and running thanks to your help. And what a nice free design to begin with.

Comment by Annalee — December 22, 2011 @ 9:51 pm

7. I made an Entrelac scarf (possibly the same pattern) last year also in Noro, it seems that yarn is meant for Entrelac! It’s a slow process, but very rewarding. I’m glad you showed how to do it, I don’t know how many people told me they were too scared to even try it!

Merry Christmas Staci, to you, your family and to all your furry housemates!

Comment by Denise — December 23, 2011 @ 3:54 pm

8. Sooooo fantastic!!!!thank you so much,can’t wait to watch and start!!!! Merry Christmas!!!

Comment by Robin — December 23, 2011 @ 8:15 pm

9. Thank you so much for this tutorial, i have been at it every free moment!! The video is very clear and easy to follow and i picked it up right away and love it :-)
    Im now wondering if you would be able to follow up with something showing how to do the pattern with knitting in both directions, negating the need to turn the work? I have read it is possible and makes the entrelac much quicker to knit but cant find any instructions on how to do it.

Thanks again,
    Jac

Comment by Jac — December 23, 2011 @ 10:43 pm

10. Another great video. Thanks Staci.
    I was wondering if you cold show how to do entrelac in the round.
    I love this technique and want to make a bag now in the round.

Comment by Grace Mae~ — December 24, 2011 @ 8:37 am

11. I agree – another great tutorial.

Thank you, Staci, and Merry Christmas !

Comment by Pammie — December 24, 2011 @ 2:03 pm

12. Wow. I can’t wait to try this. Thank you so much, again, for all your efforts to help all along with that wonderful thing we call knitting! I probably would have never tried this as it looked to difficult. It is on my list of knitting projects now. Hope you had a very MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Comment by Terri — December 26, 2011 @ 8:20 am

13. This is the pattern I use as a base for my entrelac! I’m working on enterlac in the round now :)

Anyone afraid, don’t be! Entrelac is addictive knitting at its best :^)

Comment by Strix — December 26, 2011 @ 2:50 pm

14. Thank you Staci for the BEST Christmas gift! I’ve been wanting to learn Entrelac.
    Thank you, thank you!

Comment by Judy — December 26, 2011 @ 3:17 pm

15. Staci, can you tell me where I can buy some of this long strand variegated yarn?? my local craft store dont carry it.

Comment by Tonya Nely — December 27, 2011 @ 11:16 am

16. Hi Tonya – you can find the yarn that is recommended for the Entrelac Scarf online at Jimmy Beans Wool. They carry really beautiful colorways –

Comment by s t a c i — December 27, 2011 @ 2:59 pm

I just wanted to add myself to your list of grateful students. I had my first knitting lesson 9 months ago and was instantly hooked. Recently, I’ve bought your “Learn to knit….” patterns for the Christmas Stocking and the Amirah Fingerless Gloves. And, like someone said above, you have become my very own personal tutor. Your videos are just wonderful! So, I’m thrilled to see the new Entralac videos! Thank you so much for what you do!

Comment by Crystal — December 31, 2011 @ 11:53 am

18. I was wondering if this could be made big enough for a blanket?? Its such a pretty design and thought it would make a pretty blanket.

Comment by Tonya Nely — January 2, 2012 @ 9:10 pm

19. Hi Tonya – yes, you can easily make this wide enough for a blanket. Just make sure you’re casting on a multiple of 8, and you can make it any width.

Comment by s t a c i — January 3, 2012 @ 7:29 am

20. I am new to knitting. My mother tried to get me interested when I was younger. Unfortunately I wasn’t ready to learn. My mom has been gone for about six years now. I heard her small voice in my head over Christmas break “ready yet?”. I found a simple dishcloth video to start with. I fell in love with it and want to do more. Your entrelac is so beautiful that I am determined to learn. I have almost memorized the video. You are wonderful. I am almost 60 and feel like a teenager when doing this. Thank you for enhancing my life and also fulfilling a dream for my mom!

Comment by Vickey Perry — January 10, 2012 @ 8:57 pm

21. Hi Staci! I have been wanting to do Domino(Modular) Knitting. Would it be a problem to come up with a tutorial for Domino Knitting? Oh by the way, I really enjoyed this Entrelac pattern. You are the BEST and MOST-TALENTED KNITTER!! I really enjoy your patterns and tutorials. THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!! HUGS>>>>>

Comment by Robin Watchous — January 12, 2012 @ 1:17 am

22. Thanks for sharing this tutorial! I started this scarf on Friday, posted a picture on my Facebook page. It is so easy once you know the basics!

Comment by Melinda — January 23, 2012 @ 9:01 am

23. Great video! I’ve admired entrelac for so long, but didn’t think I could pick up all the stitches required. This is so helpful and I have be beginnings of a scarf that I am so excited about!

Comment by Mary — January 23, 2012 @ 5:40 pm

24. Is there a yarn similar to the noro silk garden that is less expensive,I want to do a test pattern first. By the way the video was just great, very helpful and professional. You made it much easier than I thought it would be. Thank you so much!!!!

Carol

Comment by carol — February 1, 2012 @ 8:17 pm

25. I too was wondering if there was a different yarn similar to to Noro Silk Garden. Altho beautiful , way more than i could afford. Also I was wondering if you could use a different weight of yarn that is still self striping.

Comment by Virginia Scott — February 3, 2012 @ 12:29 pm

26. Is there a way to find out the name of the yarn that the lady was useing who was teaching in the video. I heard her say she was not useing Noro but couldnt remember the name of the yarn she was using. Thank you

Comment by Virginia Scott — February 3, 2012 @ 12:30 pm

27. Hi Virginia – in the video, I’m using a yarn called “Classic Shades” by a company called Universal Yarns. It’s an inexpensive alternative to Noro yarns.

Comment by s t a c i — February 3, 2012 @ 3:38 pm

28. Thank you for a great follow along!!! question …. on right side triangle on row 3 and odd rows knit 2tog or purl 2tog? pattern different then demo. thanks sincerly Tim

Comment by Tim — February 9, 2012 @ 11:40 am

29. Hi Tim – please follow the written instructions for accuracy!

Thanks for the note –

Comment by s t a c i — February 9, 2012 @ 12:11 pm

30. Thank you so much ,relay i learn many things ,i was not know how to do it .
    Have a good time

Comment by samira — February 17, 2012 @ 1:04 am

31. THank you,your video and website are awsom ! I finly learned how to understand and do Entrelac ! I tryed planet purl and had no success with the on line class . I have been knitting for almost 6 years now and I live and breath knitting.

Comment by Lora — February 25, 2012 @ 10:18 am

32. [...] was honored to be contacted by Staci Perry of verypink.com asking if she could film an entrelac tutorial based on my Entrelac Scarf Pattern. Those of you familiar with Staci’s tutorials know how [...]

Pingback by Entrelac Scarf Tutorial « Freckles & Purls — April 20, 2012 @ 3:25 pm

33. Thank you for putting this tutorial together. I have been curious about Entrelac and now I am knitting it thanks to you. :)

Comment by Tammy — June 2, 2012 @ 9:44 pm

34. I have tried entrelac knitting before and always got abit confused. I am left handed and the end triangles always messed me up(always thinking I have to reverse pattern). Your tutorial and the pattern, helped me figure it out, duh :). So thank-you very much.

Comment by bf — June 19, 2012 @ 11:56 am

35. You are amazing!! Your videos are exciting, and even for long-time knitters they are thrilling and enlightening!!!

Comment by Sonya Federman — June 25, 2012 @ 8:47 am

36. A question…When the pattern, and you, say to “…pick up and purl 8 sts…” (in row 1 of middle squares of Tier 1)…what I am seeing is that you pick 8 sts, but you are not purling them in the video. Then you knit the next row. Where does the “purl” come in…or where did it go??
    (Similarly, in row 1 of Tier 2, the pattern says to “…pick up and knit 8 sts…You, in the video, pick up 8 sts, but you do not knit them. Then you purl the next row. Where did the knit come in…or go??)
    What I have been doing (incorrectly, maybe??) is that I pick up a stitch with my right needle, slip it to my left needle, then I either purl it, or knit it, depending on whether it said to pick up and purl, or pick up and knit. (I do the next rows just as you do them.)
    I went to a Tutorial for “Picking up and knitting stitches” and it did what you did, so you are not alone. What I do not understand is why say “pick up and knit” if you do not knit? Why not just say “pick up 8 stitches? What am I missing??

Comment by Mary — June 26, 2012 @ 8:20 am

37. Best tutorial I’ve seen. I started charity knitting after having to give up wood working because of nerve damage in my hands. Been wanting to try entrelac. Don’t feel so intimidated now.

Comment by Pat Ohlsen — June 29, 2012 @ 11:05 am

38. Hey, okay I just found this video, or I was afraid to open it up. I am going to learn how to do this. I finished the green pullover sweater, wow, I am so proud of YOU and ME. I have been so busy now reinforcing my socks. My question is I do the I guess you call it traditional sock pattern cuff down which, the heel flap is done in a eye of the partridge pattern. Do I still need to reinforce this heel flap? I have been so busy, Thanks to all of your wonderful tutorials, I have never been so happy with my knitting. Big Thanks to all of your hard work, that makes it so much easier for all of us out here.Thank You

Comment by Joanne Cavallone Corse — July 8, 2012 @ 5:05 pm

39. Thanks for posting the free tutorial and pattern for the entrelac scarf. I just shared it on Facebook so that my fans can see how easy this technique is for doing stunning colourwork. This is my first time at your site. I got here from your You-Tube video, and I must say your site is clean and easy to navigate. It is full of vibrant creativity, too. I will definitely be back.
    Chris

Comment by Joybilee Farm — July 13, 2012 @ 9:41 pm

40. Somewhere I posted that it took me about 4 decades to attempt entrelac. It was that scary for me.

Then I found the above pattern and website and YouTube and got my fingers moving. Frogging occurred but that’s good – it’s a wonderful teacher.

I will say that I was dumbfounded at how easy entrelac actually is to do!!

Therefore, be not afraid, my gentle snowflakes (as Lewis Black says) and go forth and have fun.

Thank you to all who helped me to learn and enjoy entrelac.

Comment by Marny CA — July 14, 2012 @ 11:23 pm

41. Thank you for this tutorial. It really helped me to get the hang of the basics. I do have a question though. How would you switch colors if you are using a different color for each tier? I’ve been looking all over for help in this.

Comment by Sheila — August 11, 2012 @ 2:59 pm

42. Hello! I cannot wait to get the yarn and start this entrelac scarf! Problem loading the pattern from Ravelry., so I went to the other website and I don’t think she has it on the website anymore. I can watch the You Tube video (thank you so much-you are awesome lady!)but I came for the rows that weren’t included on the video. Newbie, I need some patterns and vids to get things rolling. If you get a chance it would be greatly appreciated! Have a good weekend, I ope it cools off down there, its been a real muggy treat of a summer up here, thats me being sarcastic. I loved the story about fostering your dog, I cannot do that, I will HAVE atleast 10 by the time I’m done.

Comment by Ginger B in CT — August 17, 2012 @ 7:41 pm

43. Hi Staci, I love your site. You are a wonderful teacher and I’ve learned so much already. Could you tell me which wool you used for your finished scarf in the video, the lovely mix of sky blues and deep reds? I assume that the universal yarns wool you described in a previous comment was the dark red wool you used for the demonstration. I admit it:, I just want to copy your good taste!

Comment by Gillian — August 22, 2012 @ 3:03 pm

44. I would like to thank you so much for providing a hands-on approach to entrelac. I was able to master it after watching your video. Thank you again.

Comment by Jonmichael — August 23, 2012 @ 4:47 am

45. This was an amazing tutorial. I am halfway through my scarf and this was a technique I never thought I’d master. :-)

Comment by Heather — September 28, 2012 @ 6:39 pm

46. staci
    the entrelac is fantastic to do I did an entrelac blanked in crochet it was a breeze. The scarf is more fun.

SS

Comment by Sally — September 30, 2012 @ 12:43 pm

47. Dear Staci,

Greetings to you from Haarlem in the Netherlands.

I love your introduction to entrelac knitting. I was feeling lonely here in the Netherlands and just browsing different sites for knitting, tatting etc. and came upon your video, it is wonderful! I could just smell the coffee, your little yarn sample landed in! Thank you for the connection to home! I’m finishing a pair of socks and the next projects will be your ruffle scarves, for my daughter and grandaugthers, after that I plan to start on the entrelac techique. i saw a beautiful sweater done in that technique in Vezelay, France in a little shoppe with absolutely beautiful knits in delicate yarns and colors.
    I’m just getting settled in a small apartment in a “Hofje” in the center of Haarlem. Listening to you makes me feel right at home. Thanks!! Dagmar

Comment by Dagmar Cornand — October 2, 2012 @ 10:59 am

48. Thank you so much for your lovely videos. I am a new knitter. I learned the basics in March at my LYS and now have been knitting socks. I have seen this video before, but, now feel like I can tackle it. Thanks for taking us step by step through each different technique. I can’t wait to get started on this! Thanks again! Jen

Comment by Jennifer Jett — October 4, 2012 @ 7:00 pm

49. It took me 40 years to get up the courage to try entrelac — and your scarf and instructions and YouTube, etc. made it happen for me a couple of years ago.

I laugh now at how truly easy entrelac is … and how much fun.

My next step is to learn how to knit backwards so I don’t have to turn the work. But, since turning is no big deal, I am not in a rush to learn.

At first, I frogged the beginning a few times – until I realized that the ‘strange curled look’ was correct – so I trusted and continued.

Thank you! Thank you!!

Comment by Marny — October 9, 2012 @ 3:49 am

50. Hi Staci, thanks for the entrelac video. I had never heard of this design before, although I have been knitting since I was 7 years old, a long time ago! I do have a question. When starting to knit, do you automatically get the same effect with the color changes as in your beautiful sample? I wonder if some of the small blocks will turn out to be half one color and half another. I recently found yarn with long color changes required by this technique and wonder if it will work. I have the instructions which I downloaded from Ravelry, but it doesn’t say anything about this issue. Thanks very much!

Comment by Knits & Quilts — October 13, 2012 @ 2:15 pm

51. Yes – even with long-strand dyed yarns, the colors aren’t always going to change between blocks, and you can get a block that is half-and-half. It’s the knitters choice to just run with it, or if you see that’s going to happen, you can break the yarn, cut out the rest of the color that isn’t going to make a complete block, and start the new block with the new color.

Comment by s t a c i — October 13, 2012 @ 2:55 pm

52. Staci – Thank you so much for this tutorial. I saw the pattern on Pinterest and just fell in love. I’ve only been knitting a few months, but after watching your tutorial, I decided I could do Entrelac. I started the Allison LoCicero pattern last Saturday, and I probably started and stopped your video twenty times, but I figured it out and I am having so much fun. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I couldn’t have done it without your help.

Comment by Stephanie — October 15, 2012 @ 10:57 am

53. Do you think that the pattern could be made in to a blanket just by make multiple scarves and attaching them together?

Comment by Clara — October 15, 2012 @ 9:30 pm

54. Yes, just cast on any multiple of 8, and have at it! The pattern tells you to cast-on 24 stitches for three bottom triangles. But you can cast on any multiple of 8 for a wider piece, even for a blanket. Good luck!

Comment by s t a c i — October 15, 2012 @ 9:40 pm

55. My one complaint is the yarn was to dark and hard to see. Other then that I did learn and I have to say this is a great pattern.

Comment by Joan Reed — October 28, 2012 @ 4:10 pm

56. P.S. what length did you use , circular needle?

Comment by Joan Reed — October 28, 2012 @ 4:13 pm

57. What a STUNNING piece! Thanks so MUCH for the great video. I’m in a knitting group here in Cuenca Ecuador, and several knitters have decided to do this as a knit-along after Christmas…we’ll send you pictures. :)

Comment by Deborah March — October 30, 2012 @ 9:01 pm

58. I tried to learn Entrelac at a Stitches West event but couldn’t grasp the concepts in such a short time. Now that I have your video, I can always refer to it for instructions and guidance. Thank you for helping me learn Entrelac the easy way.

Comment by Regina — November 8, 2012 @ 6:15 pm

59. [...] I’m going to use this tutorial from Knitty Otter and this video from Very Pink. The pattern from Knitty Otter has 6 stitches in each section and the pattern in the [...]

Pingback by Knit Night: Entrelac Knitting | Lovely Wren — November 14, 2012 @ 8:16 am

60. Staci, thanks for your wonderfully instructive video tutorial. I had been thinking about learning entrelac for a couple of months and even bought a book on the technique. However, the book looked too complex on its own. With the finding of your video, the written instructions now make sense.

I have heard of a technique to stop the old colour showing on the new block when you have to pick up stitches… do you know this technique and where on the web I could find it?

Comment by Linda — November 19, 2012 @ 12:34 am

61. Hi Linda – if you are “picking up and knitting” on the right side of the work and “picking up and purling” on the wrong side (as I demonstrate in the video), the old color will not show through on the front of the work. Beyond that, I have never heard of a technique for that.

Comment by s t a c i — November 19, 2012 @ 7:22 am

62. Staci-
    You made this so easy and so simple with your tutorial! I watched the tutorial in the morning and that evening finished a previous small project and was able to knit 10″ in my first sitting! So far my scarf looks very very cool and even my husband was impressed by how complicated this piece looks. I know I’ll be making more than one of these!
    Alanna

Comment by Alanna — November 20, 2012 @ 2:41 pm

63. MARAVILLOSO!

Comment by carmen — November 26, 2012 @ 12:53 pm

64. thanks you’re awesome…… such a good website and tools. thanks again.

Comment by lisa — November 28, 2012 @ 6:20 pm

65. Hi Staci~

Just found your site a couple of days ago. I’m working on some convertible mittens and the pattern didn’t make sense. I’m going to modify it to use your glove technique. Then, I ran across this tutorial and I want to do it! How do you pick the colors to use? There are so many beautiful ones out there!

Comment by Penny — December 14, 2012 @ 12:06 pm

66. Hi Staci- Whoops…i didn’t mean Ma Staci in the previous comment…I am in Hawaii and was writing Mahalo (thank you in Hawaiian) and the submit button just danced off on its own.

Comment by Arla — December 21, 2012 @ 7:32 pm

67. Staci, I love your tutorials. Do you have any idea how many yards of DK weight yarn I would need for this scarf?

Comment by Rachel — January 4, 2013 @ 8:33 pm

68. Hey Staci, love your site and all your great videos.
    I’m working through this project and noticed the end says “block if desired” ok, forgive me but I’m clueless! What’s that? Is it good to do? What purpose does it serve?
    Thanks for all your hard work,
    Dianna

Comment by Dianna — January 6, 2013 @ 11:18 am

69. Hi Dianna – this photo tutorial should help!

Comment by s t a c i — January 6, 2013 @ 11:21 am

I loved your entrelac video. It was great to go back to it when I made a mistake with the written directions. It just didn’t line up! :) All I had to do was go back to a particular section and had an aha moment. My husband loves the scarf and my first project for 2013 is done.
    I had to find my own way of doing one thing. In tier 1 when you pick up stitches on the wrong side and you have to purl, I had to find my own way of doing it, because I was taught to knit while growing up a child in Germany. So I hold the feeder thread in my left hand.
    I will take time to check out your other tutorials as I find myself needing to brush up on skills. I feel like I am turning into my Grandma who always had a knitting project in her hands.
    Again, thank you for the clear instructions.
    Angel

Comment by Angel Lyle — January 7, 2013 @ 1:21 pm

71. Staci, what does the word,Entrelac, mean? I tried to look it up in the dictionary. It reversed the letters and would not get it correct. Too funny. Too funny. Thank you,
    Nancy

Comment by Nancy Christy — January 7, 2013 @ 8:31 pm

This is amazing. a friend of mine and I are going to start making matching scarves tomorrow using Allison’s pattern on http://www.frecklesandpurls.com and this has made it appear so much less daunting.For now I’m excited, but i’ll let you know when I’m pulling my hair out in the middle of tier two in frustration.
    thanks again.
    Steph

Comment by Stephintoronto — January 12, 2013 @ 8:58 pm

73. Thank you so much for the wonderful entrelac tutorial! I am an experienced knitter but have never tried entrelac. My motivation to learn is to try to duplicate the beautiful green raglan sweater in the movie Whale Rider. This was a great introduction to the technique. This scarf is a perfect practice project before I tackle the sweater. Thanks again!

Comment by Melinda Rice — February 17, 2013 @ 1:22 pm

74. Knitted this pattern for my husband and won a competition with it. Thank you so much for this pattern, i absolutely love it.

Comment by Norma Shute — February 22, 2013 @ 10:42 pm

When you finish the final tier section and work all the the triangles have been worked is the scarf finished or do your start over with row one in the final tier section?

Comment by Tina — February 27, 2013 @ 3:58 pm

Sorry for the last post. I have reread the pattern and answered may own
    question.

Thanks for all of your great tutorials. I have learned so much.

Tina

Comment by Tina — March 1, 2013 @ 12:42 pm

77. Thank you so much for what must be the best entrelac tutorial out there! I watched it all the way through yesterday, picked up my yarn and needles and am already a third of the way through my scarf. You made it so clear and I’m just so delighted with the result. I consider myself an advanced knitter but have never tried entrelac before. Thank you thank you!! Bayla

Comment by Bayla — March 4, 2013 @ 4:52 pm

I am trying to start my second middle square (where I pick up and purl 8 stitches), my first square worked perfectly but this time I can only find 7 stitches to pick up. I’ve re-checked many times and there are only 7 spots where I can pick up. I’m wondering how I can make my 8th stitch without it being obviously that I screwed up somehow. My fear is if I yarn over it will cause a hole, and I’m not sure how else to make a stitch in this particular situation. Thanks for any advise you may have!

Comment by Amanda — March 4, 2013 @ 5:08 pm

79. Amanda – I say this in the video…cram that stitch in there! It happens sometimes, but there is always room to fit one more, even if it doesn’t fit like you expected. No one will be the wiser.

Comment by s t a c i — March 4, 2013 @ 6:07 pm

80. Staci, your video is fantastic! Makes learning this new method a breeze for this 60-something granny. I’ve been knitting since I was about 8 or 9 but sometimes trying new methods is a bit daunting — not this one, thanks to your video!

Comment by Ingie — March 20, 2013 @ 3:03 pm

81. Staci, this is a wonderful video & you are a natural teacher! Since I started knitting I’ve been intimidated by entrelac, but you make it look super easy!

My one suggestion would’ve been to do the different tiers in different colors of yarn so the end result is easier to see…

Comment by Shelley — April 8, 2013 @ 6:56 am

82. Mary Maxim’s Prism varigated yarns works well for entrelac knitting. It is soft, reasonable price and is varigated in long strips of luscious colours.

Comment by Kathy Hunt — April 16, 2013 @ 1:29 pm

83. I’ve never done anything like this before, but it looks fun and I want to try it, but you don’t talk about if there is a special way to start with the variegated yarn so the triangles and squares come out right and what to do when you run out of a ball of yarn and have to add in the next.

Comment by Logan — April 17, 2013 @ 12:40 pm

84. Thank you for sharing this free pattern. It took me a couple years to try again on a entrelac pattern. With your pattern and your video instructions, I made a swatch and found it to be very easy, all the while I had originally though it was hard to do. I’m going to make one now. I love the texture and the strips. Thank you.

Comment by Peggy — June 17, 2013 @ 1:57 pm

85. Hi Staci!
    Thanks so much for this tutorial! I have a question that I haven’t been able to find the answer to anywhere. Here the self striping yarn creates color changes. If I wanted to make the changes intentional, is there a way to change the colors of an individual block within a tier? I’ve only encountered instructions on changing colors at the end of each tier. I think a lot of weaving in of ends would be involved but could you simply pick up the stitches for a certain block in a new color? I’m a beginner so going on without a pattern telling me exactly what to do is daunting so I thought I’d seek your advice. Thanks!

Comment by Ashleigh — July 13, 2013 @ 7:14 am

86. Ashleigh – yes. At any point in this project, you can start using a new color of yarn.

Comment by s t a c i — July 13, 2013 @ 7:33 am

87. your pattern is very good

Comment by clare dick — July 19, 2013 @ 12:39 am

88. i thing your video is great

Comment by clare dick — July 19, 2013 @ 12:45 am

89. […] are more than enough projects for anyone, but I made the mistake of a) watching verypink’s video tutorial on how entrelac works, b) thinking, “that’s not nearly as hard as it looks!”, and […]

Pingback by Entrelac of Focus | Knitting Needles and Sweet Style — August 6, 2013 @ 8:52 pm

90. Love this scarf and pattern. Always wanted to try this…now I can. Thanks so much.

Comment by Mindy — August 12, 2013 @ 11:05 am

91. love it

Comment by clare dick — August 16, 2013 @ 1:54 am

92. […] Very Pink’s entrelac video tutorial […]

Pingback by Episode 3: Hunterdon Handmade | Yarns at Yin Hoo — August 28, 2013 @ 8:03 am

93. I’m making a sampler afghan for my daughter and am hoping to make one square entrelac. My squares are all 9 inches. Do you think this pattern could be adapted to be used in my sampler? The video was great! Never done entrelac before, but excited to try it! :-) Thanks Staci

Comment by Alexis — August 29, 2013 @ 9:32 am

94. Alexis – yes, you should be able to do this easily. You’ll need to knit a swatch to see how many you’ll need to cast on to make it nine inches wide. The pattern is written to cast on a multiple of 8 stitches – if you’re lucky, a multiple of 8 will be 9″ for you. If not, it will require some pattern modification to create squares that are fewer or more stitches than 8.

Comment by s t a c i — August 29, 2013 @ 11:23 am

95. I’m unable to find the pattern… the link that tells me to click on it for the free pattern on You Tube just keeps bringing me to here ??? Please, can you help me? Thank you very much!

Comment by Doris Sturm — September 5, 2013 @ 1:49 pm

96. If you look above in this post, you’ll see the words, in bold, ” You can get your free copy of the pattern HERE.” Just click the word “HERE” to get your free pattern download.

Comment by s t a c i — September 5, 2013 @ 2:19 pm

97. Hi,

Would like to check with you, i’m referring to the video for Tier 1 right side triangle, i have seen the video, and inside the video, for the right side triangle all (WS) row, last 2 stitches you have Purl 2 together, but when i go into the link for the pattern, it is mentioned Knit 2 together? Can you advise which one should be correct?

Comment by Michelle — September 17, 2013 @ 10:37 pm

98. Michelle – please follow the written pattern. The video is there to demonstrate the techniques, but if there is ever a conflict on a stitch between the video and the pattern, the written pattern will be the correct instructions.

Comment by s t a c i — September 18, 2013 @ 6:58 am

99. Staci, this is the best knitting tutorial video ever!!!! My skill level is intermediate-ish, and I have always avoided Entrelac as I feared it was too “fussy” for me and just over my head. I am a convert!! Thanks so much. Working on the scarf and can’t wait to try something more involved. Thanks again for a great tutorial and for reminding me to check something out before deciding it’s not for me. Love your site, and thanks so much for sharing your (very considerable) talents!!!

Comment by Jan — September 22, 2013 @ 9:31 am

100. I have just finished a beautiful entrelac baby blanket. After doing the first few tiers, constantly turning the project, I remembered teaching myself how to knit backwards (purling without turning and purling) decades ago when I was in college. I tried it on the blanket and was thrilled at how much it speeded the project, and prevented annoying people around me as I worked on the blanket. Today I was excited to find your outstanding video tutorial on “Backwards” (or “Mirror”) Knitting in your Tips and Tricks. This deserves to be added as a special Tip and Trick for working Entrelac projects!! A perfect use for it,

Comment by Sherry Andre — September 30, 2013 @ 10:52 am

101. Staci-would you happen to have a pattern for the green sweater on mannequin onyour first video of the entrelac scarf?

Comment by Elsa — October 23, 2013 @ 5:57 pm

102. Sure – the sweater I’m wearing is this pattern:

Comment by s t a c i — October 23, 2013 @ 9:22 pm

103. […] time, (Jeny’s Surprisingly Stretchy Bind-Off is amazing!) I’ve yet to learn Intarsia or Entrelac. I’ve only begun one Stranding project to date as well as one Double-Knitting. I have so much […]

Pingback by Knitterly Ways – Thankful Thursday | Write on J.B. — November 20, 2013 @ 3:45 pm

104. that’s so cool !

Comment by laila — December 9, 2013 @ 1:26 pm

105. Really like all you knitting videos and the way you explain every step. Love the knitted entrelac but seems so complicated.

Comment by Ernestine — December 15, 2013 @ 9:43 pm

106. I have been watching your tutorials for about 30 minutes. When I get the yarn and tulle I’ll start over. The kitchen scrubbie and crocheted blanket may be the first. Thank you

Comment by Donna — January 12, 2014 @ 7:06 pm

107. Staci, thank you for sharing this wonderful pattern. In the beginning, it was a bit hard to figure out which way to go, but after a few practice rows, I am almost done with the scarf. This was my practice scarf, so now I can start on the multicolored yarn. Do you know if anyone has made several panels and joined them together with a single crochet stitch, then attached a pretty colored ribbon down each crocheted seam to make a coverlet for the bed? Would think that would looke great in a kid’s room or guest room.

Comment by Glenda — February 14, 2014 @ 11:05 am

108. Thank you so very much for your lovely and just great tutorials..I have always had problems following along and being able to understand these types …but I have no problems with yours.. You do some super work..it must be fun to do this kind of work…thanks once again …Shirley2

Comment by Shirley — February 16, 2014 @ 11:19 am

109. […] Video Tutorial […]

Pingback by Lavori a maglia, 101 modelli ai ferri da realizzare prima che sia troppo tardi! | diLanaedaltrestorie — February 25, 2014 @ 9:54 am

110. […] Video Tutorial […]

Pingback by 10 Modelli di sciarpe, colli e scialli ai ferri, perché la gola è veramente troppo importante! | diLanaedaltrestorie — February 25, 2014 @ 12:45 pm

111. hi,
    thank you . thank you . thank you… i am now an entrelac knitter.. could you tell me how i could add to this scarf pattern to make an afghan… at least 54″ by 70″/// how do i add to the base to increase width?? and then do i just add ‘blocks” to the next tiers???

again.. thank you very much.. i followed your complete concise utube video.. and used this pattern to learn entrelac and now i am obsessed..

tina

Comment by tina r. — March 4, 2014 @ 4:23 pm

112. try as I might, I cannot get a copy of the entrelac scarf knitted pattern.could you please help me I love the video but it is a bit confusing without the written pattern.Thanks a lot .Padma

Comment by padmasoma — March 6, 2014 @ 3:14 pm

113. Padmasoma – the pattern is free to download here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/entrelac-scarf

Comment by s t a c i — March 6, 2014 @ 4:26 pm

114. I would like to say thank you so much for your step by step instruction video it was big help. You made it supper easy. now i can add this to my stitch know

love your web site

Comment by antoinette — March 18, 2014 @ 5:19 pm

115. Thanks for this video. I have purchased a book and an on line video, none was as informative and clear as your instructions. I am very happy I found your Web site, you are an excellent teacher.

Comment by sandy — April 22, 2014 @ 2:57 am

116. I’ve been knitting about a year, and after being told at a yarn shop that I would need to take a class to learn this stitch, I came home and found your tutorial…I was able to do it! Thank you so much for helping those of us who are learning. Your instructions are clear, and very easy to follow. I’ll be a regular on your site!

Comment by Debbie Epperson — May 2, 2014 @ 5:51 pm