December 28th, 2011

Weaving in Cotton Ends

1. Hi Stacy, thanks for that tip – very neat. I saw the jacket in the background and wondered if there’s a pattern for that and is it easy? Carol (UK)

Comment by Carol — December 28, 2011 @ 1:01 pm

2. Thank you for the great and useful tip.

Comment by Sheryl — December 28, 2011 @ 3:01 pm

3. Carol – the green sweater in the background is loosely based on this pattern:

Comment by s t a c i — December 28, 2011 @ 4:36 pm

4. I learned this from you in another video where you mentioned it and have been using it, feeling much more confident with the finishing on some items! It’s a great tip for us Vegan knitters :^)
    I do have to say, though, your video on weaving in ends is my favorite knitting tutorial ever. I could not grasp it until your “smiles” and “umbrellas” — Brilliant! :D

Comment by Strix — December 29, 2011 @ 2:59 pm

5. Thanks….another great tutorial!!!

Comment by Betty — December 30, 2011 @ 1:07 pm

6. This is great! Cotton ends have driven me NUTS–especially on baby items–but this solves the problem. Thanks Staci!

Comment by Robin — January 2, 2012 @ 9:29 am

7. I was thinking… I miss your dogs, and Austin!

Comment by Olga — January 10, 2012 @ 2:29 pm

8. Your videos are amazing! I know that I can always watch your videos when I’m stuck, or just want to learn something new! I have seen your other video on weaving in ends, and neither of the videos talk about synthetic fibers. Which way do you use the weave in synthetic fibers? Thanks!

Comment by Rachel — January 10, 2012 @ 6:26 pm

9. Hi Rachel – it really depends on the synthetic fiber. Some are sticky, and can be woven in the traditional way, and others are slippery, and need to be tied like this. You really have to be the judge of the synthetic you’re using.

Comment by s t a c i — January 10, 2012 @ 6:29 pm

10. I am new to knitting and have just discovered your amazing website. Weaving in the ends have been a sticking point for me because I love to work with cotton. This technique makes so much sense, I can’t wait to try it on my next project (a Doctor Who scarf in cotton, losts of stripes). Thank you! :)

Comment by Carol Ann — October 12, 2012 @ 10:49 am

11. I work alot in acrylic because I do alot of baby/kids stuff and chemo caps that just work out better in acrylics. I’ve had a terrible time with ends coming undone; even knots coming undone. Someone said to use Fray Check on the knot. What do you think about that?

Comment by Adele — April 1, 2013 @ 9:53 am

12. Hi Adele – I’ve never used Fray Check, so I can’t tell you anything about it. But I’m inclined not to use it, since securing the ends with knots (as I show in the video on this page) is so effective. Also, does Fray Check wash out? Or wash out of certain fiber types? Is Fray Check scratchy against the skin? I would be concerned about these things, and shy away from using glue products.

Comment by s t a c i — April 1, 2013 @ 10:32 am

13. I work with acrylic a lot and this knot technique works really good. I still weave in a full 6″ also. After 40 years of doing that, I’ll probably never feel comfortable with shorter ends. Now I’ll check out more of you videos for other new (to me) techniques.

Comment by Candy Mann — October 8, 2013 @ 2:37 pm

14. I am making a baby blanket with Spud and Chloe Outer which is 65% wool and 35% cotton. Would you suggest the cotton method of weaving in ends or the standard? I want to make sure I use the right method as this yarn is SO expensive and I dont want to risk ruining it.

Comment by angela — October 24, 2013 @ 2:01 pm

15. Hi Angela – you can always use this method for anything you knit, it isn’t overkill or anything. In your case, with this yarn that is 35% cotton, I would use this method for securing the ends. Especially if the blanket will be machine washed!

Comment by s t a c i — October 24, 2013 @ 2:22 pm

16. Wow! So simple! I will definitely try this the next time I use cotton or a similar fiber. I’ve been knitting since I was a small child and I’ve never seen this. I think this is the best “little” tip I’ve learned recently! :) However, I am studying your magic loop tutorials to see if I can master socks on them (I’m tired of double points!).

Comment by Sue — March 3, 2014 @ 3:58 pm

17. Thanks for this tutorial. I have a cotton dish cloth finished that is just waiting for the ends to be woven in. I am going to do that right now!

Comment by Louise — July 1, 2014 @ 8:15 am