October 31st, 2012

Weaving in Ends in Seed Stitch

Weaving in the ends in seed stitch can be tricky – you want the end secure, but you also want to try to hide it as much as possible in the patterned fabric. Here’s how I like to do it.

The sweater I’m wearing is my Ombre Dyed Sweater, pattern + video tutorial.

The sweater on the mannequin is my Zasio Sweater Coat, pattern + video tutorial.

I don’t remember the name of the yarn I used in the seed stitch sample, but I do remember that it is a chunky wool/alpaca blend, and very soft!

My nail color is by OPI, called “Every Month is Oktoberfest”.

1. Hi Stacey…thanks for another great video. I was wondering if you would ever consider doing a class/pattern on thrummed mittens. I live in a cold part of Canada and I know that we really appreciate these warm mitts. Thanks Staci.

Comment by Kim — October 31, 2012 @ 11:21 am

2. Thank you, thank you, thank you! This was always so frustrating for me, since I could never figure out a way to make the weave both secure and invisible. Just tried it out on my current sweater project, which has a seed stitch edging, and it works like a charm!

Comment by Karen — October 31, 2012 @ 12:48 pm

3. I would like to see a pattern where you weave in end if you a lot of yarn overs

Comment by Shan — November 6, 2012 @ 10:16 pm

4. Thank you for creating this simple but very helpful video. I am creating samples for a course so the tidy weaving-in of the ends of each piece is important, and seed stitch was flummoxing me!

Comment by Gigi — January 1, 2013 @ 8:37 am

5. I have truly appreciated your videos, and they have brought my knitting to a higher level, especially the finishing and weaving in of ends, which in the past have not been my strong point.
    One challenge I have is weaving in ends securely in brioche stitch, especially when working with cotton. I am making a baby blanket, working in wide bands of colours (striped width wise). Should I follow your cotton bind-off example, or do you have another suggestion. This blanket will get lots of wear so I would like the yarn to be secure.

Thanks for all your terrific tutorials.

Comment by Karen Schultz — September 15, 2013 @ 2:46 pm

6. Karen – thank you for the note. For Brioche stitch in cotton, I would use the technique I demonstrate in my “Weaving in Ends in Cotton” video, as well as this technique:

That’s my best guess, anyway. It may take some experimentation to see what looks best with the yarn you’re using. Good luck!

Comment by s t a c i — September 15, 2013 @ 3:40 pm