March 6th, 2013

Crochet for Knitters – Rugged Ripples Blanket

Get your free copy of the pattern HERE.

Many thanks to Stephanie Gage of Spinning Colors for allowing us to use her pattern in this tutorial. Be sure to visit her shop, Spinning Colors, where she sells hand-crafted yarns.
She also has other patterns on Ravelry.

Info on things you’ll see in this video:

The yarn I used in my blue blanket is Berroco Vintage.
The finished size of my blanket is 40″ x 58″ and I used 9 100 gram hanks of Berroco Vintage, three hanks of each color.

The yarn I used in the bulky sample where I’m demonstrating is Berroco Peruvia Quick.

The scarf I’m wearing is the Clapotis.
Knit with Noro Silk Garden in colorway #87.

The scarf on the mannequin is Cozy.
Knit in Lana Grossa Cool Wool Merino.

The red nail polish I’m wearing is OPI, in color Chick Flick Cherry. The polish on my sparkly accent nail is OPI, in color The Living Daylights.

24 Comments

1. Thanks for sharing. Wish I had the talent to invent patters. 8-)

Comment by J. Acevedo — March 6, 2013 @ 9:54 am

2. Thank you for this tutorial! Can’t wait to get started!

Comment by Nohemi — March 6, 2013 @ 1:08 pm

3. Always a pleasure to learn from you.

Comment by Mary Tole — March 6, 2013 @ 7:51 pm

4. Thank you for doing this. I have learned so much.

Comment by Karen — March 7, 2013 @ 12:23 pm

5. I have really enjoyed this series and have been following along. I have a question about this pattern. Last night I worked on my foundation chain and row 1. However, I am a bit confused about the end of the row. The pattern says to repeat the sequence until 9 stitches remain in row 1, then 3 DC, dc2tog (twice), 3 DC, 2 DC in last stitch. There do not seem to be enough stitches to do this. If you start with 9 remaining, then 3 DC (3 stitches), dc2tog twice (4 stitches), 3 DC (3 stitches), 2 DC in last stitch (1 stitch) that brings me to a total of 11 stitches that I need to make. What have I messed up? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Comment by Kristen S — March 7, 2013 @ 1:26 pm

6. Hi Kristen – yes, I think you may be correct. I will pass this on to the designer (Stephanie). Thank you!

Comment by s t a c i — March 7, 2013 @ 2:08 pm

7. You are a great instructor! Thanks for teaching things like how to “read” the crochet work. You are so good at building self sufficiency! Thank you.

Comment by Katheen — March 11, 2013 @ 9:39 pm

8. I love this pattern … many thanks for the tips with the finished look!

Comment by Janet — March 13, 2013 @ 7:20 pm

9. I saw the number of stitches for a king (80×75) are 399? I’m making this for someone for a present and they have California king size which is slightly bigger 72 wide x 82 long I’m not good with math so how many do I need to chain for the cal king?

Comment by Christina — March 15, 2013 @ 11:55 pm

I want to make this blanket for a baby. I know the kind of yarn you used is probably on the expensive side. Is there a brand of yarn that I can use that won’t pill when washed and that’s not of poor quality? I want the blanket to last, but it also needs to be inexpensive. Brands such as Bernat, Caron Simply Soft, Lion Brand, etc. What would you use, given the choices available? I hope these questions make sense, I have a weird way of asking questions.

Thanks much,

Tasha

Comment by Tasha — June 25, 2013 @ 5:59 am

11. Hi Tasha – I’m not all that familiar with the yarn brands you listed, so I can’t be of much help. But you can go on Ravelry and read reviews there.

The yarn I uses isn’t any more expensive than a Lion Brand yarn. If you are in a location where you don’t have a local yarn shop, I recommend this yarn for mail order:

Comment by s t a c i — June 25, 2013 @ 6:21 am

12. Thanks Staci!!

Comment by Tasha — June 25, 2013 @ 9:31 am

13. I went to the Berroco Vintage website, but I did not see where you said the specific colors you used in the blue blanket, they match my paint just right and now I’m struggling to pick them from the website. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks so much for the great video!

Comment by Jenny — July 7, 2013 @ 6:53 am

14. Jenny – here are the colors of Vintage I used:
    Pool Party
    Misty
    Snow Day

Comment by s t a c i — July 7, 2013 @ 7:56 am

15. How much money would it cost to make this blanket in 3 colors with the Berroco Vintage in the Queen Size and how much should I charge for it?

Thanks!

Comment by Claire — August 7, 2013 @ 11:13 am

16. Claire – you will need to price that out from the store/online store where you purchase your yarn. And sorry…I don’t sell my knitted and crocheted items, so I have no idea what you should charge.

Comment by s t a c i — August 7, 2013 @ 12:04 pm

I recently took up crocheting when I retired from teaching. You instruction was excellent and after waiting a few days and going back to it, I really understand how to make the rugged ripple afghan. I was amazed at how much i remembered. I have a new granddaughter who is due in early January and I’m attempting to crochet at least 2 afghans while we are traveling to visit family. Your explanation of how to hide the knots you make when tying off different colors is fantastic. Thanks SOOOO much for the excellent video.

Comment by Stephanie Goble — August 13, 2013 @ 4:52 pm

18. Hi Staci!! I would like to put a decorative edge on the rugged ripples blanket, is that possible, and which edge would you recommend ?

Comment by Karen — September 3, 2013 @ 11:20 am

19. Hi Karen – you can take a look at the examples of crocheted edgings I have in the Crochet for Knitter series: http://verypink.com/category/crochet-for-knitters/

Any one that you like the look of will do. I would recommend something on the simple side, like the Spiked Edging.

Comment by s t a c i — September 3, 2013 @ 11:33 am

20. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed surfing around
    your weblog posts. After all I will be subscribing to your rss feed and I am hoping you write again soon!

Comment by Kindra — September 15, 2013 @ 7:15 am

21. My blanket seems to keep getting smaller in width as I continue to work rows. Do you have any suggestions on how to keep rows the same width? Also the video made it so much easier to understand the pattern! Thanks.

Comment by Emma — September 15, 2013 @ 6:14 pm

22. Emma – make sure you haven’t accidentally decreased by counting your current stitches (or counting ripples) vs. the stitches (ripples) from your first row. If your count is correct and your blanket still looks narrower as you go along, that is most likely just an issue with the weight of the blanket stretching it out. It will all even out after washing.

Comment by s t a c i — September 15, 2013 @ 6:50 pm

First, thanks for now getting me “hooked” (har har)on crocheting!!! ;-)

Second, I have a quick question…If I am doing the rugged style, do I go through the back loop on every row, or just after I change colors?

For instance, I am doing 2 rows per color, but I want my colors seemless so to speak, as shown in your and the designer’s examples. so do I go through both legs when doing the second row of the same color and go through only the back leg when changing colors, or do I always go through the back leg as the pattern states?

Thanks!!

Comment by Amanda — January 15, 2014 @ 6:32 pm

24. Amanda – the “rugged” version is working through the back leg of every row.

Comment by s t a c i — January 15, 2014 @ 7:23 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.