May 29th, 2013

Fancy Stitch Combos – Blackberry Stitch

Instructions for working the Blackberry Stitch:
Cast-on a multiple of 4 stitches.
Rows 1 and 3 (RS): Purl
Row 2: *P3tog, (K1, P1, ktbl) into same stitch*
Row 4: *(K1, P1, ktbl) into same stitch, P3tog*
Repeat these 4 rows to desired length.
Bind-off on the RS of the work, using a normal bind-off.

This week is the fourth video in a new series called Fancy Stitch Combos. In this series I hope to demonstrate stitches that have been requested, and hopefully introduce you to some new ones that I think are pretty and useful. Feel free to drop me a note if you’d like to submit an idea for a video in this series.

The sweater I’m wearing is my Ombre Dyed Sweater, pattern + video tutorial.

The scarf on the mannequin is One Row Handspun Scarf, knit with Cascade 220.

The bulky yarn I used in the sample is Berroco Peruvia Quick.

The “blackberry” colored cotton yarn I used in the smaller sample is Cascade Sierra, in color Heathered Pansy.

The wood needles I use for demonstration are by Clover, size 10.5 (6.5mm).

1. Staci
    I am LOVING the Fancy Stitch Combos :-) I am a NEWBEE to knitting and finding your Very Pink website VERY helpful….Thank You :-)

ps Your Dup. Stitch advice on the Fingerless Mitts (thumb reinforcement) was very helpful also :-)
    Jenny

Comment by Jenny Casey — May 29, 2013 @ 1:30 pm

2. Great stitch! I’ve never seen it before and look forward to giving it a try. I’m going to have a great assortment of dishcloths, LOL!

Comment by Peggy Schaefer — May 30, 2013 @ 6:05 am

3. Love, this! Thank you for the clear demo too! Please note my email address change: old address janetgravette@aol.com new address: jlgravette17@gmail.com

Thank You!
    Janet

Comment by Janet Gravette — May 30, 2013 @ 6:01 pm

4. Really neat stitch! I was thinking how neat it would look on a pair of mittens with a plain thumb, but would it be feasible?

Linda

Comment by Linda Wickert — May 31, 2013 @ 1:46 pm

5. Yes – I’m sure mittens out of this stitch would be really nice!

Comment by s t a c i — May 31, 2013 @ 3:06 pm

6. for the live of me I can not find the lace scarf you are talking about. Is it a free pattern??

Comment by julia — June 1, 2013 @ 8:05 pm

7. Sorry, Julia – I don’t think I mention a lace scarf in this video. I’m happy to share any pattern with you, if you can give me more information.

Comment by s t a c i — June 1, 2013 @ 8:08 pm

8. not this one but the lace scarf you were talking about? sorry this landed this page :)

Comment by julia — June 2, 2013 @ 6:27 pm

9. What size needle do you suggest using for the Blackberry Stitch Wash Cloth.

Comment by Carol Drake — July 12, 2013 @ 5:38 pm

10. Carol – that depends on the yarn you choose. If you choose a worsted weight yarn, I believe I used size 7 US needles. If you’re using any other weight of yarn, a good needle size to try is the one suggested on the ball band.

Comment by s t a c i — July 12, 2013 @ 5:57 pm

11. Thanks for some other fantastic article. Where
    else may just anyone get that kind of info in such a perfect way of writing?
    I’ve a presentation subsequent week, and I’m at the look for such
    info.

Here is my blog :: programa para rastrear celular

Comment by programa para rastrear celular — October 29, 2013 @ 9:44 pm

I was wondering are the instructions for this stitch in the round the same? I think I saw a hat that uses this stitch and I loved it!

Thanks for your videos!

Comment by Juliana — February 5, 2014 @ 6:39 am

13. I love this stitch!!! I would really like to work it on an item worked in the round, like a purse…would the pattern be the same for in the round work? Thanks! :)

Comment by Grace — March 24, 2014 @ 6:12 pm

14. Grace – most of my Fancy Stitch Combo stitches include instructions for working in-the-round, but not this one. You can figure it out, however – just change up the Ks for Ps and the Ps for Ks on every wrong-side row. There may be some minor tweaking beyond that, but this stitch seems pretty straightforward. Sorry I don’t have time to help you with this!

Comment by s t a c i — March 24, 2014 @ 8:59 pm

15. Staci, can this be worked in the round? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! As always, you rock!

Comment by Jessica — May 16, 2014 @ 8:56 am

16. Oops just saw the answer. Working it out! Thanks!

Comment by Jessica — May 16, 2014 @ 8:57 am

17. Love this stitch tutorial! I can’t wait to try it!

I think it would work nicely as a sweater back to give a bit of cushion for when the chair is lacking adequate padding.

Comment by monica — May 21, 2014 @ 1:00 pm