June 12th, 2013

Fancy Stitch Combos – Mock Rib Stitch

Instructions for working the Mock Rib Stitch:
Cast-on an even number of stitches, using the long-tail or knitted cast-on.
Setup Row: Purl
Row 1 (RS): *K1, P1*, repeat between *s to end
Row 2: P across all stitches
To bind-off, use a normal BO, binding-off purl-wise on Row 2.

To work this stitch in-the-round:
Cast-on an even number of stitches
(no setup row)
Row 1: *K1, P1*, repeat between *s to last stitch
Row 2: K across all stitches
To bind-off, use a normal BO, binding-off normally on Row 2.

This week is the fifth video in a new series called Fancy Stitch Combos. In this series I hope to demonstrate stitches that have been requested, and hopefully introduce you to some new ones that I think are pretty and useful. Feel free to drop me a note if you’d like to submit an idea for a video in this series.

The sweater I’m wearing is my Ombre Dyed Sweater, pattern + video tutorial.

The scarf on the mannequin is One Row Handspun Scarf, knit with Cascade 220.

The bulky yarn I used in the sample is Berroco Peruvia Quick.

The yarn I used in the striped sample is Berroco Vintage.

The wood needles I use for demonstration are by Clover, size 10.5 (6.5mm).

1. Hi Staci- loving the Fancy Stitch videos! Any chance we will see one for RickRack rib aka Zigzag Rib?

Comment by Amy — June 12, 2013 @ 10:09 am

2. Enjoyed the tutorial on the mock rib stitch and the downtown hat but did not find the link for the pattern. Will you please send it to my email address? Thanks for all the tutorials. They have taught me a lot.

Comment by Dahlia Walsh — June 12, 2013 @ 6:54 pm

3. Enjoying this series of fancy stitch videos.

Thank you.

Comment by Mary Tole — June 12, 2013 @ 6:55 pm

4. Dahlia – the pattern for the Downton Hat is the first link on the website, just below the video. Here is the link:

Comment by s t a c i — June 12, 2013 @ 8:51 pm

5. Hi Staci

Just want to thank you for your great website…I love it.I was just wondering by any chance would you happen to have any beginner patterns for ponchos?

Louise

Comment by Louise Maguire — June 13, 2013 @ 2:06 pm

6. Louise – thank you for the note. I have a ton of patterns/tutorials, but none for ponchos. You can see all of my patterns/tutorials here:

Comment by s t a c i — June 13, 2013 @ 2:27 pm

Love your videos. Could you please do a tutorial on ‘The Trinity Stitch’? I have found other tutorials for it on you tube, but the quality of the videos isn’t as good as yours. I can’t watch the videos long enough to learn the stitch. Thank you for all you do.

Comment by Teresa — June 16, 2013 @ 6:45 am

8. Hi Teresa – I haven’t researched this myself, but a viewer mentioned that Blackberry Stitch and Trinity Stitch are the same thing. So maybe I already have done a video on it? Here is a link to Blackberry Stitch: http://verypink.com/2013/05/29/fancy-stitch-combos-blackberry-stitch/

Thank you for the suggestion!

Comment by s t a c i — June 16, 2013 @ 8:00 am

9. I’d love to see more stitch patterns that could be used in socks.

Comment by Brenda — June 16, 2013 @ 11:03 am

10. Hey Staci–So I’ve been making a scarf with the mock rib stitch and it IS curling up! What am I doing wrong? Thanks for your help.

Comment by Deonne — June 19, 2013 @ 8:18 pm

11. Okay, never mind– just saw the correction to the pattern that was made. I bet that’s it. Will take it all out and start again.

Comment by Deonne — June 19, 2013 @ 8:27 pm

12. Okay, so I’m doing the corrected pattern and it is STILL curling up–what am I doing wrong??? Thanks for any help.

Comment by Deonne — July 10, 2013 @ 12:50 pm

13. Deonne – try using a bigger needle size, or a thinner yarn. If your gauge is pretty tight, that might cause the curling.

Comment by s t a c i — July 10, 2013 @ 12:59 pm

14. Thanks, Staci–using size 11 needles with bulky weight yarn–maybe the yarn is too thick. I’ve gotten so much done now though that I think I will just try to block it flat when I’m done. Love this pattern!

Comment by Deonne — July 10, 2013 @ 1:54 pm

15. I just made two really pretty dishcloths using your instructions. Did the two different yarns every other pattern repeat. It came out great and like you say….a lot of bang for the buck. Thanks for your great tutorials!! You make it easy.

Comment by Barbara — July 23, 2013 @ 9:26 am