June 19th, 2013

Shaker Dishcloths and Coasters

shakerVP

Sizes: Dishcloth is 8” diameter, Coaster is 4.75” diameter
Needles: Two size 5 US (3.75mm) double-pointed needles, 7” or longer. (You can also use circulars or straights. The shortness of DPNs makes it really easy to turn your work on the short rows.)
Yarn: Knit Picks Comfy Worsted in two colors, or another worsted-weight washable yarn
Dishcloth: about 20g each color, or 40 yards each color
Coaster: about 5g each color, or about 11 yards each color
Additional Materials: Worsted-weight scrap yarn, crochet hook size H, tapestry needle
Gauge: 5 stitches per inch in garter stitch

Pattern includes row-by-row instruction for dishcloths (with and without a picot edge), coasters (with and without a picot edge), and guidelines for modifying the pattern.

This pattern is available in three different formats, each includes links to 4-part video tutorial:

1. PDF Pattern, traditional and printable. $4.00 via PayPal
addtocart

2. Amazon Kindle digital download (suitable for Kindle devices and devices that use the Kindle app): $4.00 US

3. eReader (For non-Kindle eReaders, like Sony eReader and Barnes & Noble Nook, or any device using the Google Play Books app) $4.62 US

coastersVP

Many thanks to Annie from Knitsofacto.blogspot.com for allowing me to use her unique picot edging in this pattern. You can see Annie’s designs on her Ravelry page.

The book I refer to in the video is A History of Hand Knitting, by Richard Rutt.

Links to things you’ll see in the video:
The cabled scarf on the mannequin is my Learn to Knit an Aran Shawl patttern + video tutorial.

The yarn I used in my finished dishcloths and coasters is Knit Picks Comfy Worsted. The colors I used are Rosehip, White, Marlin, Carrot, and Honey Dew.

The pink notions box I use to store stitch markers and tapestry needles.

The yarn I used in my bulky sample is Berroco Peruvia Quick.

Tapestry needles similar to mine can be found here.

The wood needles I use for demonstration are by Clover, size US 10.5.

1. Please put this pattern on amazon! I can only buy it there with my amazon credit (problems with my credit card)

Comment by Virginia — June 19, 2013 @ 9:49 am

2. I love these! I just purchased the pattern on Ravelry and can’t wait to start making them. :)

Comment by Doni — June 19, 2013 @ 11:48 am

3. I love making practical things to use in my home. I bought this pattern and can’t wait to make some dishcloths and coasters ! Thank you

Comment by Pammie — June 19, 2013 @ 4:33 pm

4. Hi Stacy! Thank you for another wonderful pattern! I clicked on the link for the notions box and the site (Nancy’s Knit Knacks) seems to be having major issues, at least it won’t let me purchase anything, I get a weird error message. Do you happen to know if their site is down?
    Thank you!!

Comment by Leti — June 19, 2013 @ 5:58 pm

5. Leti – I don’t know if or why they’re having problems. You can find the same product here on Amazon:

Amazon is always ready to take your money. :)

Comment by s t a c i — June 19, 2013 @ 6:04 pm

I got so excited when I saw this pattern. I made a pillow with this pattern when I was ten years old (my grandmother taught me to knit when I was eight). I remembered this pattern a few weeks ago, and I wished I still had the pillow to remember the pattern better. You can’t imagine my joy this morning! All that to say, this pattern makes a beautiful pillow:)

Comment by Pauline — June 19, 2013 @ 7:57 pm

7. Thanks Staci, in addition to the pattern you show and teach a lot of good techniques that can be applied anywhere. I so enjoy your tutorials.

Comment by Mary Tole — June 19, 2013 @ 8:51 pm

8. You’re welcome, Mary – and thank you for the note. I always try to use patterns for the tutorials that will build on skills…making everyone more skilled and confident in their knitting. Thank you for noticing!

Comment by s t a c i — June 19, 2013 @ 9:11 pm

9. Hi Staci!
    An other beautiful pattern – I ´m going to buy it and make a lot of coasters for me and my friends. But there is something I wanted to ask you a long time now:how can you knit without letting the needle of your (right) hand? Is it beacause of your very very long fingers? Or is it something that anyone (I mean anyone with short fingers…)can learn?
    Thanks again for your excelent tutorials.
    Anna

Comment by Anna — June 20, 2013 @ 1:30 am

10. Hi Anna – the way I knit is called “flicking”, and you can see my video explaining how to do it here: http://verypink.com/2011/03/02/flicking/

Comment by s t a c i — June 20, 2013 @ 7:17 am

I am so excited about this pattern! I have been dying to try new things like the provisional CO, short rows & kitchner stitch but hate the idea of trying it on a garment or other large piece. You’ve made it possible for me to learn & practice all of these with one patten and I get the added benefit of beautiful dishcloths and coasters. Thank you!
    Anna, I highly recommend Staci’s video on flicking. It took me awhile and a lot of practice but I am now flicking away with ease. I used Staci’s dishcloth pattern to practice – did 2 with the knit stitch and 2 with pearl stitches. Be patient, it will come!

Comment by Peggy Schaefer — June 20, 2013 @ 9:30 am

12. Hi again,
    This is unrealted to the above pattern, which I did purchase. Are you familiar with a shawl pattern called Dreambird? I saw it somewhere and looked it up on Ravelry, there are several versions in different colors. I personally think they are beautiful and would like to make one. Sorry to take so long to get to the point but would you be interested in doing a tutorial about the feather portion? I know the triangles are simialr to the wingspan shawl you did but I would love to see how the feathers are done. Thanks for reading.

Comment by Mary Tole — June 22, 2013 @ 8:42 pm

13. can I use this pattern to make hakysacks for my son? if so what typ of yarn and what size needles do you think would work?

Comment by carol — June 22, 2013 @ 11:15 pm

14. Carol – this pattern won’t fold up and make a ball, but I do have another pattern for a knitted ball here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/orb-it-ball-pattern

Comment by s t a c i — June 23, 2013 @ 6:50 am

15. I am so happy you brought back this beautiful pattern. Thanks for all your wonderful work. I always refer other knitter’s you your website to learn new techniques and great patterns.

Comment by Vicki Charbonneau — June 23, 2013 @ 3:22 pm

16. thank you for your quick responce and the link . Im looking forword to making the haysacks and the beautiful dish cloth pattern . I also would like to tell you that Im a huge fan and that I tell every one I know about verypink . I think you and your web page is awesome keep up the good work.

Comment by carol — June 24, 2013 @ 1:15 pm

17. You did a video on wingspan? I can’t locate it anywhere. Like Mary, I love the Dreamscape shawl but figured I’d start with Wingspan (after doing several Shaker Dishcloths) to get my feet wet with short rows. I’d love to see your videos on the shawl. Can you point me to the link?

Comment by Peggy Schaefer — June 25, 2013 @ 6:53 am

18. No, sorry Peggy – I knit a Wingspan, just for my own knitting project, and I didn’t do a video on it. But thank you for the suggestion.

Comment by s t a c i — June 25, 2013 @ 7:19 am

19. I must have done the provisional cast-on wrong. But it still all worked out. Just took a little longer. No unzipping for me. Going to have to work on that. Love this easy little pattern!

Pam

Comment by Pam — June 25, 2013 @ 7:54 am

20. Iam really one of your fans and evry day morningI make my coffee bring my Ipad and check your web .Today when I saw you closing the hole of shaker dish cloth ,I had an idea of not closing it and let the cover of tea pot go through it ! Does it fit? Thanks for your active mind

Comment by Zabia — June 27, 2013 @ 1:33 am

21. Note: sorry I can’t afford buying any of your toturials because we don’t use cards in my country!

Comment by Zabia — June 27, 2013 @ 1:37 am

22. I ordered your pattern Shaker style pot holders. For some reason I cannnot get into the tutorial for it. Help

Comment by Patricia Durkee — June 27, 2013 @ 6:44 am

23. Zabia – probably not. The whole is very small, even before tightening it up.

Comment by s t a c i — June 27, 2013 @ 7:14 am

24. Hi Patricia – the video tutorial is linked in the pattern, is available here on the website (where you left your comment), and is available on YouTube here:

Please let me know if you have any more questions!

Comment by s t a c i — June 27, 2013 @ 7:14 am

25. This was such a fun pattern to knit! I finished it in no time. I really need to practice the Provisional CO and Kitchner stitch (need to do it when I’m alone so people don’t interrupt my chant, LOL) Will be making many more.

The only issue I had was keeping my 2 colors of yarn from getting all twisted together. Any tips or suggestions?

Comment by Peggy Schaefer — June 29, 2013 @ 4:59 am

26. Glad you enjoyed the pattern, Peggy. To keep the two colors of yarn from twisting, I always turn the work one way on right-side rows, and the opposite way on wrong-side rows. After a while, it becomes habit.

Comment by s t a c i — June 29, 2013 @ 5:49 am

I love the pattern but I’m getting ridges between the colors. You recommended pulling the kitchener stitch tight for the bind off, but what if it happens throughout the pattern? What am I doing wrong? T

Teri

Comment by Teri — July 1, 2013 @ 6:38 pm

28. Hi Teri – I’m not sure I understand your question, because the whole dishcloth is made up of ridges (garter stitch ridges). Are you talking about a ridge that contains both colors when you change colors? That is normal on the wrong side of the work. If I haven’t answered your question, you’ll need to send me a photo to show me what you mean.

Comment by s t a c i — July 1, 2013 @ 6:47 pm

29. Hi Staci
    I am working on my second dishcloth and love it because it works up pretty quickly. On my second one, I have gone down a needle size and adjusted the pattern up slightly in st count. No problem there, but I am consistently getting a bit of a gap (especially on the back side) next to the K row that follows the short rows (before the color change). It is garter stitch that looks stretched out and flat.It may be a result of short rows ending next to a full Knit row. Is this normal? Do you have any suggestions for avoiding this? How can I send pictures to you?
    Thanks for your clear, helpful tutorials!

Comment by Judy Modica — July 2, 2013 @ 6:53 pm

30. Judy – have you machine washed and dried the dishcloth yet? That will make a big change in how your stitches look. You can see how mine look in the pattern photos (no photoshopping), and I took those photos after washing and drying. Give that a try first.

Comment by s t a c i — July 2, 2013 @ 7:17 pm

31. Judy – I just went and inspected my dishcloths after replying to you. Yes, on the backside of the work, the last row of each color segment does have a gap. It’s very slight – maybe 2mm after washing a drying, using the yarn I used. So I guess this is to be expected. I honestly hadn’t noticed it!

Comment by s t a c i — July 2, 2013 @ 7:25 pm

32. I finally got a good provisional cast on and then I went and “kitcherer’d” on the wrong side. Another washcloth for me!

Comment by Pamela Barron — July 3, 2013 @ 5:25 am

Beautiful pattern, as usual. I’m in the process of knitting it now and in my work I was getting obvious gaps at the short row turns. To counteract this, I’ve done wraps and turns at the short row turns and picked up the wraps on the last row of the old colour. It took me a couple of goes to get it right, because w&ts in garter stitch is different to stocking stitch, but I’ve got it now and it really has made the gaps go away and my work is more even now. :-)

Comment by Brian — July 15, 2013 @ 9:05 pm

34. Hi Brian – it’s great that you’ve figured out a way to make your knitting look better, but ultimately, it isn’t necessary to do wraps on the short rows. After you machine wash and dry your dishcloths (which is blocking, as far as this pattern is concerned), all of those gaps close up and look perfect. Washing and drying will make all of your stitches look amazing and even and perfect.

I test knit with and without wraps, and decided that they were not necessary.

Comment by s t a c i — July 15, 2013 @ 9:18 pm

35. I’m wondering if there was a reason you chose Comfy (cotton/acrylic) vs Dishy (100% cotton)? Does the acrylic keep its shape better?

thanks!

Comment by Tamara — July 17, 2013 @ 11:12 am

36. Tamara – that is a good question. I always choose a cotton/synthetic blend over 100% cotton, only because I don’t enjoy knitting with 100% cotton. Because there is no “give” to cotton, it ends up making my hands ache when I work with it. Also, the yarn I used (Knit Picks Comfy) is so very soft, and machine washes and dries beautifully.

Comment by s t a c i — July 17, 2013 @ 11:15 am

37. Hi Staci!
    I’ve been working on coasters following your pattern. I seem to have a problem when I unzip the provisional cast on in that when I get to the end, I sometimes only have 11 stitches instead of 12. My count is fine up to that point. Don’t know why that’s happening. Any suggestions?

Comment by Annelie Schoop — July 22, 2013 @ 6:02 pm

38. Hi Annelie – yes, I think I understand what is happening. Sometimes the first and/or last stitch of the provisional cast-on is different from the rest. Make sure you’re picking up all of the loops when you unzip the crochet chain, even if they don’t look like stitches. I usually find that the last stitch looks more like a yarn-over than a real stitch, because there is no knot under it.

Comment by s t a c i — July 22, 2013 @ 9:07 pm

39. Thanks for the quick reply, Staci. That must be the problem because if it doesn’t look like a stitch, I’m not knitting it. Always enjoy your website and videos. I have learned so much and you are such a good teacher. Keep up the good work.

Annelie

Comment by Annelie Schoop — July 23, 2013 @ 12:23 pm

Thank you for posting this video. I have learned so much from you.

Comment by Robin — August 10, 2013 @ 2:19 pm

41. this looks amazing. reminds me of the sweets we used to eat back in the old days

Comment by Eleni — August 11, 2013 @ 3:28 am

42. Hi, Brilliant idea, will be good to make this for our Christmas fete as coasters . Well done

Comment by Gill Venables — August 11, 2013 @ 8:29 am

43. I love the pattern and I’ll make a cushions for me. Thx

Comment by Megy — August 11, 2013 @ 1:28 pm

44. Love, love, love this!!! I’m anxious to get started on Christmas projects. For whatever reason :( (I think it had something to do with being too lazy to get up and grab the credit card LOL) I purchased the pattern for my Kindle instead of thru Ravelry and I am unable to print it. :( I was wondering if you would be able to send me a PDF for it?

Thanks in advance!!

Debbie

Comment by Debbie — August 29, 2013 @ 11:14 am

45. Hi Debbie – I’m glad you’re excited about this pattern! I’m afraid I don’t have any control over Amazon purchases, so your best bet is to return the eBook version, and purchase the PDF. Amazon has great customer service, it should be a quick and easy thing to do.

Let me know if you need any help.

Comment by s t a c i — August 29, 2013 @ 11:20 am

46. Hello-

I already knit one dishcloth and on to my second. I plan to make a few bigger ones for placemats!

Love this pattern.

Heather

Comment by Heather — August 31, 2013 @ 7:56 pm

47. Hey Stacie. I love your videos so informative. I bought your shaker dishcloth pattern and now and can’t find the pattern I bought

Comment by Susan England — September 5, 2013 @ 8:40 pm

48. Susan – yes, I see you purchased the pattern back on August 1st. I have sent it to you again via email. Please save it to your hard drive, or check your Ravelry library – it is most likely there as well. Enjoy!

Comment by s t a c i — September 5, 2013 @ 10:18 pm

49. Hi Stacie!

Thank you very much for your interesting blog! :)

In your youtube-information about how to make the dishcloth, you mention the book by R Rutt where you found the inspiration to this pattern. I went to the library to borrow this book, and found the part you were quoting.

I really thought it would be neat to try to make a dishcloth with tiny needles and 16 segments just like the shakers did. Do you know if there might be a pattern for this somewhere? Where do you think I should look?

Thank you for Your help!
    Greetings from Annika in Oslo, Norway

Comment by Annika Kjøs — September 25, 2013 @ 8:27 am

50. Hi Annika – sorry, I don’t think that pattern exists. I naturally did some research before I designed this pattern, to see if anyone else had written a pattern based on R Rutt’s description of the dishcloths the Shakers made. I didn’t find anything at all, then I proceeded with making this knitter-friendly version, using bigger gauge than the Shakers did.

Comment by s t a c i — September 25, 2013 @ 8:51 am

51. Thank you for this simply lovely pattern. It’s quick and relatively easy yet variable and not boring. I’ve done my share of short rows on blind faith but am actually understanding how they work after two dishcloths and liking. Them much better! I, too, immediately wanted to do a 16-segment one. After looking up of info on circles and covering the back side of all your pattern pages with math ( I got a C in geometry and still hate it), I decided 12 segments was a close enough connection with colonial Shakers for me. So I started right in on my second one, switching from Sugar ‘n Cream rope (aching fingers, yes) to Cotton Ease and 1812 Cotton in terra cotta and light green to match my sister’s kitchen, and doing a 16-st no picot one. Lo and behold and holy cow, I reached segment 11 and saw I was no where near the end of my circle. Yep. It took exactly 16 segments to close it!!??!! Each section is 1 1/2 inches wide at the edge, the circumference is 24″ and the segments are 3 1/2″ long. Size 5 needles as before. Gauge? Hard to measure on these. I got about 5″ on the straight rows and 6 in the short row area when I measured, but it’s actually between 5.7 and 5.8 overall apparently. As someone at EZ’s knitting camp once said, ” Gauge swatch? Isn’t that Norwegian for ‘lying bastard’?”. Anyway, it seems to be row gauge that determines how many segments to get around the circle. One day I may get out my size 1 dpbs and play around with fingering yarn on the premise that you case on enough stitches to equal half your desired diameter and work short row segments accordingly every two rows until you run out of sts for each segment and knit as many as it takes to get around. But not today. This daintier 16-segment one on 5’s is very nice. By the by, it’s much easier to keep on track in the picot version. You can tell straight away if you’ve missed a row or added an extra one. But I kinda like the plainer edge. I’ll bet the Shakers did, too. I may try a slipped stitch edge next…. As you can see, I am getting a lot of bang for my four bucks. Thank you!

Comment by carla johnson — October 14, 2013 @ 11:57 am

52. Would it be possible for you to show the Japanese short row technique doing this washcloth? Have just recently seen this method and it is sooooo nice.

Comment by Linda — November 10, 2013 @ 3:47 pm

53. This is a great pattern! I’ve knit up several using leftover yarn. They were all layed out on my table and thought they would also make a gorgeous patchwork kind of blanket. I had a large knitted square and centered the shaker dishcloth on it. It looked really cool.. No idea how to knit it up though.

Comment by Tracy — November 20, 2013 @ 2:18 am

This is such a nice pattern. I can’t wait to start it. Thank you so much for it. You are a wonderful teacher and such an elegant speaker. I owe my knitting skills to you.

Comment by Shay — December 31, 2013 @ 12:11 pm

Thank you so much for your teaching videos. I don’t live near yarn shops that teach knitting, so when I found your videos I was so excited and learn something new with each one. I have a question concerning yarn weights. I found a cotton blend yarn that was labeled worsted and used it on a coaster. I could have used one more segment to close it up…and that was on a #6 needle. It must have been too thick compared to the yarn you used. There must be a difference in thicknesses of worsted yarns. Should I look at the label and and get a yarn closer to the size needle you are using? Is the Comfy yarn a bit finer? Thanks for the time you invest to do what you do…and to the excellent job (is it Parker?) does on shooting the videos I actually get motion sick from some other ones online HA.
    Linda

Comment by Linda — March 17, 2014 @ 9:14 am

56. Linda – yarn weights can vary greatly, even if they have the same name like “worsted”. That is why gauge (stitches per inch) are all important. You always have to get the same gauge in a pattern as the designer, and either go up or down needles sizes until you do.

Comment by s t a c i — March 17, 2014 @ 4:44 pm

57. I think I had a senior moment. I was so excited about the project I just jumped right in. I am on my way to do the swathing. Thank you for your help Staci.
    Linda

Comment by Linda — March 17, 2014 @ 6:21 pm

58. PS: It would help if I could spell HA

Comment by Linda — March 17, 2014 @ 6:22 pm

59. Hi Staci
    I love your patterns and tutorials. you taught me how to knot socks!!
    I want to make this dishcloth using standard dish yarn- peaches and cream or lion kitchen yarn. I use 4.5 mm needles with dish yarn. can i follow the pattern asi or are there modifications? thanks

Comment by Mary Davis — April 18, 2014 @ 11:03 am

60. ahhh!
    KNIT !!!!
    not knot

AS IS

no asi

thanks
    again

Comment by Mary Davis — April 18, 2014 @ 11:04 am

61. Hi Mary – you can follow the pattern as it is written using any needle and yarn combination. The only difference will be if your gauge is tighter or looser than what I list in the pattern, then your dishcloths will end up being larger or smaller.

Comment by s t a c i — April 18, 2014 @ 11:28 am

62. Hey there! Thanks again I have had a lot of fun with this pattern! On my latest project using it, I somehow got the crochet chain backwards and when I went to unzip and put the stitches on the needle I decided to go ahead and continue from the outside inward. I know I should have stopped and tried the other side but I over committed to a bad idea and I have pretty much dropped most of the stitches. Is there any advice you can give to help me reclaim my stitches? I fear I may have ruined a lot of work.

Thanks again! You are a boon to yarn-crafters all over but we’re proud to have you in Texas!

Comment by Thai — April 29, 2014 @ 5:45 am

63. Thai – crochet chains will only unzip from one direction, and if your crochet chain is backwards, you have to unzip it the way it wants to be unzipped. Recover your live stitches, as I demonstrate. Then you can work the Kitchener stitch from the opposite side – no big deal.

Comment by s t a c i — April 29, 2014 @ 7:28 am

64. Hello, I would like to purchase the pattern for this beautiful dishcloths, but I do not know which of the 3 patterns I choose. Can you help please.

Comment by Sandra — July 9, 2014 @ 7:22 am

65. Sandra – if you want a traditional, printable pattern, you’ll want to purchase the PDF version (option #1).

Comment by s t a c i — July 9, 2014 @ 7:49 am

66. … but this version (printable pattern) has videos too? Video (4 parts) is complete, I mean row-by-row.
    And last, you have patterns in Spanish.

Comment by Sandra — July 9, 2014 @ 8:10 am

67. Sandra – yes, each version of the pattern includes links to the videos. You can also view the 4-part video here on this web page.

Sorry, I do not have patterns in Spanish, although the subtitles in my videos can be translated to Spanish.

Comment by s t a c i — July 9, 2014 @ 8:13 am

68. Staci thank you very much, and I have the pattern. I just bought
    Hugs from Sweden
    Sandra :-)

Comment by Sandra — July 9, 2014 @ 8:34 am

69. Hi Staci
    I just saw your work, i went very much to knit this Dishcloth.
    Do you have a vido to give/buy with step by step instruction, that i will be abale to folow?
    to read instruction sepcialy in english to very diffcult for me.

i will be havppy to pay for a vido link.

thanks very much.
    ziva – jerusalem – israel

Comment by ziva — August 17, 2014 @ 8:47 am

70. Ziva – the video can be set for the captions to translate into any other language (just click the “CC” button in the video player, and select “translate captions”, then select your language. Unfortunately, the written pattern is available in English only.

Comment by s t a c i — August 17, 2014 @ 9:40 am

RSS feed for comments on this post.