July 10th, 2013

Fancy Stitch Combos – Easy Cable Rib

Instructions for working the Easy Cable Rib Stitch:
Cast-on a multiple of 4 stitches, plus 2
Row 1 (WS): K2, *P2, K2*, repeat between *s to end
Row 2: P2, *K2tog but do not slip finished stitch off left needle, knit into first stitch on left needle again, then slip off left needle, P2*, repeat between *s to end
Row 3: K2, *P2, K2*, repeat between *s to end
Row 4: P2, *K2, P2*, repeat between *s to end
Continue these 4 rows to desired length, then bind-off on Row 4.

To work this stitch in-the-round:
Cast-on a multiple of 4 stitches.
Row 1: *P2, K2*, repeat between *s to end
Row 2: *P2, K2tog but do not slip finished stitch off left needle, knit into first stitch on left needle again, then slip off left needle*, repeat between *s to end
Row 3: *P2, K2*, repeat between *s to end
Row 4: *P2, K2*, repeat between *s to end

This video is part of a new series called Fancy Stitch Combos. In this series I hope to demonstrate stitches that have been requested, and hopefully introduce you to some new ones that I think are pretty and useful. Feel free to drop me a note if you’d like to submit an idea for a video in this series.

The green sweater on the mannequin is my Learn to Knit a Woman’s Sweater, pattern + video tutorial.

The bright pink yarn I used in the worsted-weight sample is Araucania Merino Worsted.

The bulky yarn I used in the bulky sample and for demonstration is Berroco Peruvia Quick.

The wood needles I use for demonstration are by Clover, size 10.5 (6.5mm).

1. Thanks for this video! The stitch combo is really nice looking and easy to do. I always get some scrap yarn out and needles to try the stitch while watching the video. And the bright pink yarn is really pretty. I always appreciate it when you tell us what you are using, wearing, etc. in the videos.

Comment by Charlotte Passinger Ehrhart — July 10, 2013 @ 8:19 am

2. That looks like a good choice for a scarf. You wouldn’t need to put a border on it.

Comment by Deborah — July 10, 2013 @ 9:58 am

3. I think as soon as I free up some room on my queue I’ll try a hat in the round for my son.

Comment by Helen — July 10, 2013 @ 2:13 pm

4. Thanks for the video for the easy cable. I am going to try it (eventually) on a hat.

Comment by Mary Tole — July 10, 2013 @ 9:39 pm

5. Love this pattern for easy cables!! I wish you would put together a sock pattern using this stitch! Keep all the great tips coming – I look forward to all your teaching videos.

Comment by Patricia Planck — July 11, 2013 @ 5:02 pm

6. Thank you so much for the easy cable stitch! I appreciate all your tips and look forward to your new techniques each week. I am wondering if you could put together a sock pattern using the easy cable stitch. I would like to try that. Thank You!

Comment by Patricia Planck — July 11, 2013 @ 5:04 pm

7. I love this easy cable stitch, thank you. Do you think It will make a pretty baby blanket shower gift?
    Can you suggest how many stitches to cast on? Thank you

Comment by Lilly — July 12, 2013 @ 3:46 am

8. Lilly – yes, this would make a pretty baby blanket, but I can’t tell you how many to cast-on. That will depend on the yarn and needles you choose. You will need to knit up a swatch to see how many stitches per inch you get, then multiply your stitches per inch by how wide you’d like the blanket. Typically, baby blankets are about 36″ by 36″.

Comment by s t a c i — July 12, 2013 @ 6:57 am

9. Yes, it helps and thank you.

Comment by Lilly — July 12, 2013 @ 9:24 am

I love all your video and projects. Do you have hat and scarf pattern i would love to knit one for christmas present. I am starting early have plenty time to get them done before holidays come.

Thanks. Linda

Comment by Linda — July 16, 2013 @ 6:00 pm

11. Hi Linda – thank you for the note. I have several different had and scarf patterns that include video tutorials. You can see a complete list of all of my tutorials here:

Comment by s t a c i — July 16, 2013 @ 9:19 pm

I just tried this stitch i love it and it is very simple to knit. I saw on your website my first scarf can i do this pattern with this stitch? I love your video i tried them all this is my favorite. I do love cables stitch this is great i use dpn as my cable needle. Hope it cool by you it 97 degrees here in nyc. I can’t wait for fall cooler weather to come. Linda

Comment by Linda — July 18, 2013 @ 3:53 pm

13. Hi there! This post could not be written any better!
    Looking at this post reminds me of my previous roommate!

He continually kept talking about this. I most certainly will send this information to him.
    Fairly certain he’ll have a very good read. I appreciate you for sharing!

My site: video marketing; Tera,

Comment by Tera — December 5, 2013 @ 10:24 pm

14. Thanks for this easy cable stitch. Staci, can I take a basic hat pattern in the round, like yours and exchange this stitch? Nancy

Comment by Nancy Christy — March 14, 2014 @ 4:46 pm

15. Nancy – yes, you can follow my instructions for working this stitch in-the-round (with a multiple of four stitches) and substitute that in any pattern.

Comment by s t a c i — March 14, 2014 @ 10:26 pm

16. Staci, this is beautiful! I’d like to use it to make a boot topper. What do you think? Is it too stretchy for that? And would I add a standard k2p2 rib above and below this? Thanks!

Comment by Tami — August 31, 2014 @ 7:25 pm

17. Tami – I’m afraid I’ve never made boot toppers, so I can’t help you there. But the best way to design something new is by trying it out – so it’s worth a try!

Comment by s t a c i — August 31, 2014 @ 8:05 pm