July 24th, 2013

Fancy Stitch Combos – Raised Rib

Instructions for working the Raised Rib Stitch:
Cast-on a multiple of 4 stitches, plus 3.
Row 1 (RS): *P1, ktbl, P1, K1*, repeat between *s to last three stitches, P1, ktbl, P1
Row 2: K1, ptbl, K1, *K2, ptbl, K1*, repeat between *s to end
Bind-off normally on the right side of the work.

To work this stitch in-the-round:
Cast-on a multiple of 4 stitches.
Round 1: *P1, ktbl, P1, K1*, repeat between *s to end of round
Round 2: *P1, ktbl, P2*, repeat between *s to end of round

This video is part of a new series called Fancy Stitch Combos. In this series I hope to demonstrate stitches that have been requested, and hopefully introduce you to some new ones that I think are pretty and useful. Feel free to drop me a note if you’d like to submit an idea for a video in this series.

The green sweater on the mannequin is my Learn to Knit a Woman’s sweater, pattern + video tutorial.

The bright pink yarn I used in the worsted-weight sample is Araucania Merino Worsted, knit with size 5 US (3.75mm) needles.

The gray yarn I used in the bulky sample is Malabrigo Chunky, in color Polar Morn.

The bulky purple yarn I used in the bulky sample and for demonstration is Berroco Peruvia Quick.

The wood needles I use for demonstration are by Clover, size 10.5 (6.5mm)

1. I would like to experiment with this stitch. I am in love with circular needles, so the pattern must continue in the round. I find now, when I use straight needles, I drop a needle at the end of a row – so used to circulars that it surprises me each time.

Comment by Eileen Spreema — July 24, 2013 @ 12:39 pm

2. I like the looks of this stitch, it gives me another rib stitch to use for mitts, hats, etc. Thanks Staci.

Comment by Mary Tole — July 24, 2013 @ 9:39 pm

3. Your demonstrations are SO clear and easy to follow. Thanks!

Comment by Katheen — July 28, 2013 @ 5:40 pm

4. Thanks for all the great stitches Staci. Have you considered putting all of these stitches together in some type of ebook? I know….some people are never satisfied. I’m trying to put them in a folder so that they are all in one place on the computer. Love the stitches looking forward to more.

Comment by Mary Tole — August 12, 2013 @ 2:21 pm

5. Mary – thank you for the note. No, not considering a book…I find free videos to a better medium for teaching! :) You can also find all of the Fancy Stitch Combos here, which is a category on my website: http://verypink.com/category/combos/

Comment by s t a c i — August 12, 2013 @ 2:36 pm

6. Staci…
    I am sooo lovin’ these stitch combos! I’m practicing eah of them in cotton yarn, making dishcloths and washcloths as I practice….and I am going to have some of _the_ fanciest dish/wash cloths in thw world for Christmas Presents!!

I wondered if you have vertical Chevron stitch tucked away somewhere tha you could bring out and share? The horizontal one is beautiful…but I would like to have a vertical pattern that would work for a throw pillow cover to accent my family room.
    Thans for sharing your beautiful skills with us!!
    BeBe