October 23rd, 2013

Fancy Stitch Combos – Rickrack Rib

Instructions for working this stitch:
Row 1: P1, *Ktbl the second stitch on the left needle (leaving that stitch on the needle), K the first stitch, pull both stitches off the left needle, P1*
Row 2: K1, *P into the second stitch on the left needle (leaving that stitch on the needle), P the first stitch, pull both stitches off the left needle, K1*

Repeat these two rows for the pattern.

For the nicest looking bind-off, BO on Row 1, in pattern. It’s a little tricky to pull one stitch over the other after working into the second stitch on the left needle, but it’s possible! Otherwise, you can work the BO in a P1, K2 rib.

Instructions for working this stitch in-the-round:
Cast-on a multiple of 3
Row 1: *P1, Ktbl the second stitch on the left needle (leaving that stitch on the needle), K the first stitch, pull both stitches off the left needle*
Row 2: *P1, K into the front of the second stitch on the left needle (leaving that stitch on the needle), K the first stitch normally, pull both stitches off the left needle*

The bulky yarn I used for demonstration is Lion Brand Hometown USA. I demonstrated using size 13 US (9mm) needles.

The yarn used in the gray swatch is Malabrigo Chunky, and I used size 10.5 US (6.5mm) needles.

The yarn I used in the pink sample is Be Sweet Satisfaction, color Raspberry 709, using size 10.5 needles (6.5mm).

The needles I used are bamboo, made by Clover.

The poncho on the mannequin is the Easy Folded Poncho, knit in Knit Picks City Tweed DK.

My “Embrace the Swatch” water bottle can be found here.

1. Thank you!!!! I just couldnt get my head around it lol

Comment by edward — October 23, 2013 @ 1:39 pm

2. I love this stitch i wonder have you tried it on a sock leg or cuff yet? I usually K2 P2 for a cuff on all my sock since you have experimented with it in the round i just wondered.

Marilyn

Comment by Marilyn Wiley — October 24, 2013 @ 10:39 pm

3. Love the stitch. Now to find the right yarn. Am using Brava Bulky in Rouge and it just looks wonderful.. Can’t seem to do more than 9 sets of the stitch with out messing up…. Might try my size 8 bamboos with some cheap yarn to get it down just right..

Thank you so much for this stitch… I love your videos because you are just you and not acting like something you aren’t. You are nuts and bolts, this is how you get the job type of girl and I love that about you.

Comment by Paula — October 26, 2013 @ 3:35 am

4. Beautiful! I am always looking for easy reversible stitches – this is perfect. Thanks for a very clear demonstration.

Comment by Caroline — October 27, 2013 @ 4:27 pm

5. Well, it’s me again. I love your site and I wonder if I can ask you again for a little bit of help with my v-neck vest. I am almost at the armholes point and v-neck and I am kind of scared. I have 270 stitches per front/back. Maybe you can give a very good site/video for it. I have been looking for over a month now and everything I find it is so complicated! Does it really need to be that complicated?! oofff, difficult start for a knitter…
    I also want to ask you how to uncurl a stockinette piece. It is a nightmare.
    Thank you so much for your time and understanding!

Comment by Dia — October 28, 2013 @ 1:21 am

6. Am posting pics on fb with your site on the top. Hope you don’t mind. You do awesome work

Comment by Paula — October 29, 2013 @ 1:20 pm