February 12th, 2014

Fancy Stitch Combo – Dropped Stitch Scrunch

Instructions for working this stitch:
CO a multiple of 3 stitches, plus 2
Rows 1, 3, and 5 (WS): K2, *P1, K2*, repeat between *s to end of row
Rows 2 and 4: P2, *K1, P2*, repeat between *s to end of row
Row 6: P2, *allow next stitch (a knit) to drop off the left needle, and unravel it for 4 rows, so that there are 4 “ladder rungs” above it. Put your right needle into that stitch from front to back, and knit through that stitch. After you complete the stitch, you’ll see that all of the “ladder rungs” are also caught up in the stitch, creating the scrunch, P2*, repeat between *s to end of row
Bind-off after Row 6.

Instructions for working this stitch in-the-round:

CO a multiple of 3 stitches
Rounds 1-5: *P2, K1*, repeat between *s to end of round
Round 6: *P2, allow next stitch (a knit) to drop off the left needle, and unravel it for 4 rows, so that there are 4 “ladder rungs” above it. Put your right needle into that stitch from front to back, and knit through that stitch. After you complete the stitch, you’ll see that all of the “ladder rungs” are also caught up in the stitch, creating the scrunch*, repeat between *s to end of round
Bind-off after Round 6.

The poncho on the mannequin is my Rodeo Drive Poncho, pattern + video tutorial.

The scarf I’m wearing is called Hitchhiker, knit with Hazel Knits DK Lively.

The yarn I use for demonstration is Malabrigo Chunky.

The yarn I used for the worsted-weight green sample is Be Sweet Whipped Cream, mohair/wool/silk blend, in color “Moss”.

The bamboo needles I use are by Clover.

The nail color I’m wearing is CND Shellac polish, in color “Asphalt”.

1. Very cool stitch!!! I can’t wait to try it!

Comment by Trudy — February 12, 2014 @ 3:23 pm

2. Who knew dropped stitches could make such a pretty pattern! Thank you for showing us! I look forward to your new videos each week!

Comment by Lorry — February 12, 2014 @ 3:39 pm

3. P1 K2, or P2 K1? The right side rows on the flat instructions are different than what you demonstrated.

Comment by Judi Toohey — February 12, 2014 @ 4:48 pm

4. Judi – No, the instructions I provide are the same as what I demonstrate in the video. The WS rows are K2/P1 and the RS rows are P2/K1.

Comment by s t a c i — February 12, 2014 @ 4:57 pm

5. The back of this stitch looks exactly like ruching! This stitch is very cool. Looking forward to trying it.

Comment by Anis — February 12, 2014 @ 9:40 pm

6. Hi Staci, I think this stitch us great and hope to knit a scarf very soon, I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for showing us how it’s done.

Comment by Mary Tole — February 13, 2014 @ 4:12 am

7. Awesome! I have a machine knit sweater that I have been staring at to figure out how it was done. It is very similar to this stitch pattern, except that i think there are only two stitches dropped and the rest of the pattern is in 1×1 rib. I am going to try to replicate it following this stitch pattern, instead of what I was thinking – slipping a stitch on two consecutive rows and then knitting the two ladders together on the next row… wait – that is practically the same – uff da! The sweater shows the wrong side of the fabric and there is no ruching, probably because there are only two ladders! It’s my favorite sweater!!

Comment by Danelle — February 13, 2014 @ 11:50 am

8. The back is definitely hilarious!

Comment by Nathan — February 13, 2014 @ 11:20 pm

9. It’s so inspiring to see how stitch combinations can look so different.
    Thank you for showing/teaching me more and more about knitting.

Comment by Helen — February 13, 2014 @ 11:57 pm

10. Great stitch! Completed a knitted hat last night with ribbing in “Dropped Stitch Scrunch”. Really looking forward in making a hat/scarf set.

Comment by Freda Davenport — February 14, 2014 @ 9:47 am

11. Think I felt my heart skip a beat when you unraveled. Infinity scarves are the “it” thing on Texas Tech campus, and this would look great with either side facing out. Can’t wait to try it!

Comment by Kinna Walker — February 18, 2014 @ 1:56 pm

12. What a cool stitch you came up with! That would make a wonderful scarf or sweater or shawl! I love it and can’t wait to try it out!! :)

Comment by Sally Groff — February 18, 2014 @ 3:59 pm

13. What size needles did you use with the worsted weight yarn? Worsted weight is number 4?

Comment by Frieda — February 18, 2014 @ 9:11 pm

14. Frieda – I used a size 10.5 US (6.5mm) needle with both the worsted weight yarn, and the bulky yarn. And yes – worsted is the same as “4″ or “medium” in yarn weights.

You can find a yarn weight conversion chart here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarn_weight
    And a needle size conversion chart here: http://www.yarnfwd.com/main/needleconv.html

Comment by s t a c i — February 18, 2014 @ 9:31 pm

15. Beautiful stitch pattern! I love how squishy and soft the fabric looks. I’m going to try using it as the center square on the log cabin blanket. Any tips on things I should watch for when using it this way?

Comment by Shauna — February 24, 2014 @ 4:58 pm

16. I am going to use the dropped stitch scrunch for my kitchen drying towels out of 100% cotton. Will be beautiful. I have made several others and this will go well.

Comment by Pat Jones — March 6, 2014 @ 9:25 am

17. Great web. I “stumbled” upon it on FB. I liked the granny afghan. I am going to make one.

Comment by Pat Jones — March 6, 2014 @ 9:27 am

18. I have been knitting/crocheting since I was 7. I am 80, but I can never get tired of visiting your site. You are an angel to all those new learners and old ones (me) with all your videos and tutorials. I have learned a lot in the past year since I found your site. Keep up the great work. Eileen

Comment by Eileen — April 20, 2014 @ 11:54 am