March 7th, 2014

Traditional Dishcloth Pattern – Free Update

all for vp logo

My free Learn to Knit a Dishcloth pattern + video tutorial has received a much-requested update. This update includes instructions for making rectangular dishcloths, any size.

Now, they’re all called “dishcloths”, regardless of the shape or size you make them. But I personally find the 9 x 9″ squares too big for washing dishes. Instead, I use them for tasks where I would otherwise use a paper towel – like wiping down counters, spill clean-ups, etc.

The 6 x 3″ rectangles in this pattern update are the size I like to use for washing dishes. They fit nicely in the hand, drape easily over the sink divider when not in use, and they dry quickly. The pattern explains exactly how to make this size, but it can be easily modified to make any size rectangle – up to a bath towel size, and beyond.

This pattern is a FREE RAVELRY DOWNLOAD.

The video tutorial will walk you through making the square dishcloth, but the techniques are exactly the same for the rectangles.

1. What a great idea. I’ve made several of the square dishcloths. I love the colors and am wondering what yarn you used.

Comment by Carolyn Langston — March 7, 2014 @ 8:30 pm

2. For the ones in the photo, I used Knit Picks Comfy Worsted.

Comment by s t a c i — March 7, 2014 @ 8:42 pm

3. I don’t see where the pattern tells you how to make the 6×3 size.
    I would like to make them.
    thanks

Comment by deb — March 8, 2014 @ 9:11 am

4. Scroll through the pattern Deb – the instructions are there!

Comment by s t a c i — March 8, 2014 @ 9:13 am

5. Thanks for the updated version. I will try it out. I’ve made the square one for a gift for my sister in law but she refuses to use it for the dishes, says it to nice and will only use it for a facecloth. Turned out my brother wanted one to. So I’ve made him the square one and another one with square pattern on it that I found on the internet. He’s into graphics so I’m sure he will like it.
    I will add a couple of the smaller ones in his gift basket. Maybe they will use them for the dishes.

Comment by Linda — March 8, 2014 @ 10:56 am

6. Thanks for the update! I’ve made several of the square dishcloths and, like you, prefer a smaller size for washing dishes. I can’t wait to cast these on.

Thanks!

Comment by Peggy Schaefer — March 8, 2014 @ 11:39 am

7. Your videos seem a bit irregular lately, are you releasing them on a day other than tuesday now?

Comment by nathan — March 9, 2014 @ 2:52 am

8. Is there going to be a regular release day for your videos anymore?

Comment by nathan — March 9, 2014 @ 2:53 am

9. Nathan – I have always, and will always release a new video each and every Wednesday. Nothing has changed!

Comment by s t a c i — March 9, 2014 @ 10:15 am

10. Hello Staci, I’ve made the little dishcloth. I did 24 stitches wide. As I was following the pattern I found where I had to repeat rows 1 and 2 for a total of 20 times (40 rows total) that it it would have been to long so I did row 1 and 2 for 30 times, it matched the wide of the larger dishcloth and seems to work well together as a set. Thanks again for the pattern.

Comment by Linda — March 9, 2014 @ 9:41 pm

11. Linda – thank you for the note! You just made me realize that I made a mistake…it is supposed to be 20 rows total – not 20 repeats of the two rows. I’m correcting the pattern now. Thanks again!

Comment by s t a c i — March 9, 2014 @ 10:22 pm

12. lol, I was going to write you and tell you mine turned out 3×10…way long.
    I will make another with the corrected total of rows.
    Thank you for the pattern.

Comment by deb — March 10, 2014 @ 7:04 am

Thanks for this update, I love these cloths they are so cute. I have already made many of the square ones.
    BTW, I always love to see an email telling me that you have released a new video.

Tina

Comment by Tina — March 10, 2014 @ 10:21 am

14. I just made one after you corrected the pattern. I love it. I really like doing dishes with this smaller one so much more. Thanks again for the great pattern.

Comment by deb — March 10, 2014 @ 12:10 pm

15. on something like this, does yarn weight matter much?

Comment by Nathan — March 10, 2014 @ 12:25 pm

16. I thought you did them on tuesdays for some reason, thanks for straightening me out! :P

Comment by nathan — March 12, 2014 @ 1:34 am

17. Thank you for this rectangle pattern! I started making them last nite! They are the perfect size.

Comment by Karen Boehlert — March 12, 2014 @ 11:58 am

18. Hi – thanks for the updated pattern! I have a couple of questions — the edge holes on the decrease section are always bigger than the yo holes. Is that typical? Also, the last stitch I bind off sticks out so the corner points to the left. Any solution for this?

Thanks again

~ Elizabeth

Comment by Elizabeth — March 12, 2014 @ 7:13 pm

19. Elizabeth – that is normal, just the nature of knitting. After you wash and dry your dishcloths, you won’t see a difference anymore.

Comment by s t a c i — March 12, 2014 @ 7:22 pm

20. I have made these dish cloths and I love them. I was thinking of making them bigger and use as napkins, little bigger and they could be matching placemats; much smaller and they could be colorful napkin holders. Endless ideas.

Comment by Lee Roman — June 2, 2014 @ 8:26 pm