February 27th, 2011

Learn to Knit an Earflap Cap

Earflap hats have become very popular recently, but there are some tricky parts to knitting them, including the earflaps themselves. This 4 part video series walks you through the entire pattern, including the cast-on, working cable stitches, switching to double-pointed needles, and adding the trim.

This pattern includes sizes for both men and women.

Materials Needed:
• Worsted-weight yarn in 2 colors, about 50g in each color (about 100 yards each color)
• Size 10.5 US needles 16” circular needles, size 10.5 US double-pointed needles
• Stitch marker
• Cable needle
• Tapestry needle
• Size H crochet hook
• Gauge – 20 sts = 4” in 2×2 rib, using double-strands of yarn, unstretched

This pattern is available in three different formats, each includes links to 4-part video tutorial:

1. PDF Pattern, traditional and printable. $8.00 via PayPal

2. Amazon Kindle digital download (suitable for Kindle devices and devices that use the Kindle app): $6.00 US.

3. eReader (For non-Kindle eReaders, like Sony eReader and Barnes & Noble Nook, or any device using the Google Play Books app) $6.72 US

1. Love your tutorials. Have been knitting for 45yrs+ and have always wanted to knit socks. Thanks to your video tutorial I have completed my first sock. I would like to ask, what type of knitting needles do you use? aluminium or wooden. I have heard of Addi turbo and would like to try them.
    Best wishes
    Carol

Comment by Carol — April 3, 2011 @ 4:46 pm

2. Hi Carol – My favorite needles for most everything is Addi Turbos. I use both fixed needles as well as the interchangeable set, called Addi Clicks. For double-pointed needles, my favorites are Crystal Palace wood needles.

Comment by s t a c i — April 4, 2011 @ 8:03 am

3. Bonjour from Quebec, Canada!

I just happened to find your blog while browsing for patterns. I LOVE the setup and I will certainly visit on a regular basis.

My first project will be the Woman’s t-shirt sweater that I find awesome! By the way, I’ve been knitting for 40+ years and always enjoy learning new tricks.

P.S. I will definitely be referring friends (beginners) to your tutorials!

Au revoir,
    Colette

Comment by Colette — June 24, 2011 @ 8:44 am

4. hi ,
    love your tutorials. i am beginner .I just want to ask if i want to knit this earflap hat for my 4 year kid. How many stitches should b needed to cast on and could i knit the whole hat on double pointed needles from starting to end ?

Comment by Navi — August 28, 2012 @ 6:39 am

5. Hi Navi – here is a bit of text from my Frequently Asked Questions page:

Q: Staci, I’ve knit your (pattern), and I’d like to modify it to fit other sizes. Can you help me?
    A: Most of my patterns and tutorials are designed to teach the skills and techniques you need to knit that item (socks, sweaters, etc.). Once you’ve finished a tutorial, you have what you need to know to move on to all kinds of similar patterns, available in all sizes. I’m sorry – resizing a pattern is not a quick or simple thing.

I suggest you look for a pattern designed to fit your four year-old on Ravelry.com. There are tons of them out there! Good luck!

Comment by s t a c i — August 28, 2012 @ 8:17 am

6. Hi staci , may I know which brand of yarn for this pattern? Can I used DK weight or SuperwashMerino wool ?

Comment by Shirley — November 17, 2012 @ 9:54 am

7. Hi Shirley – I used Lion Brand Fisherman’s Wool. You can use any worsted-weight wool or wool blend. I don’t recommend using DK weight – you’ll end up with a smaller hat.

Comment by s t a c i — November 17, 2012 @ 12:29 pm

8. Halo, Selamat Pagi, greatings from Indonesia…
    I am a beginner knitter and I love your tutorial, I learn a lot from you, basic steps and most specially the tips of knitting. Thank you for caring and sharing your knowledge to us…keep teaching us and good luck!

Daisy
    From Indonesia

Comment by Daisy — January 11, 2013 @ 8:56 pm

9. I knitted this hat last year, I loved it. It was too small, I think because I was using size 6 needles instead of 10 1/2. So I just started knitting this hat again, with the right size of needles. But I re-wrote the ear-flap for a more triangular shape. But this is still a really good pattern.

Comment by Hunter — February 15, 2013 @ 8:24 pm

10. Stunning story there. What happened after? Take care!

Check out my weblog :: website

Comment by website — December 18, 2013 @ 10:18 am