January 25th, 2012

Fiona Baby Sundress – Updated!

The Fiona Baby Sundress is a pattern I released about 4 years ago. I’m re-releasing it today to include an updated pattern, larger size range (newborn to Child Size 2), and a six-part video tutorial.

The fact is, I’m way better at this whole pattern writing thing than I was four years ago.

This pattern is available as a free Ravelry download. The video is available at the bottom of this post, and links to the six parts are listed in the pattern.

Materials:
Yarn: Worsted-weight cotton in two colors for main color (MC) and contrasting color (CC).
– 0-3 months: 170 yards in MC, 60 yards in CC
– 3-6 months: 190 yards in MC, 65 yards in CC
– 6-12 months: 220 yards in MC, 70 yards in CC
– 12-24 months: 235 yards in MC, 75 yards in CC
– Child Size 2: 260 yards in MC, 80 yards in CC
(For the pink dress pictured here, I used Bernat Cottontots, widely available at craft and fabric stores. I used 1 skein of Sweet Cream for the CC, and 1 skein of Cheeky for the MC. Note – I JUST had enough of the pink yarn to finish the dress in the smallest size, knit without any modifications. I ended up with about 1 yard leftover!)

Needles:
– Size 7 US 16” circular needle (or longer cord if you prefer to use the magic loop method)
– Size 7 US double-pointed needles (DPNs)
– Cable needle

Additional Materials:
– Stitch marker
– Tape measure
– Tapestry needle for weaving in ends, attaching straps, and duplicate stitch motif

Gauge: 5 stitches per inch

1. Thank you for this totally cute dress! I love how the little pleats look. What a clever way that all comes together.

Betty

Comment by Betty — January 25, 2012 @ 8:56 pm

2. Adorable! I’m picking up yarn today because this needs to be my next project!

Comment by Shelly — January 26, 2012 @ 2:41 pm

3. Thanks so much for the cute dress pattern. It’ll be perfect for the great niece that is due to arrive mid-May.

Comment by Cindy — January 26, 2012 @ 5:28 pm

4. ??????? ??? ?? ???? ?????? ??????!!! ? ???? ??????????!!! ??? ????? ???????? ????????? ? ???????????!!! Thanks so much!!!

Comment by Anya — January 31, 2012 @ 7:10 am

5. My friends’ little girl is really benefitting from v e r y p i n k tutorials & patterns! I made the hoodie for her–which got raves!–& she’ll be adorable in this. Thanks Staci!

Comment by robin — February 5, 2012 @ 12:36 pm

6. Wow, this is an adorable dress! I’ll definitely be casting this on for my 1 yr old DD. Just wanted to say thank you for all you do to help us become better knitters. I have used many of your videos to learn to knit all over again, and I am amazed at how generous you are with your time and patterns. You provide so much wonderful information, and I truly thank you for it.

Tanesha
    (Crafty Garden Mom blog and podcast)

Comment by Tanesha — February 12, 2012 @ 6:36 pm

7. Thank you so much for the pattern. It was super easy to follow and video helped a lot. I just finished making a dress for my niece Tara.

Comment by Indhu Vijay — February 15, 2012 @ 7:53 pm

8. This is one of the dresses that Dress A Girl Around the World had a fit over that I mention to you earlier. I like this one better.

Comment by lisa — March 8, 2012 @ 9:13 am

9. I love this little dress!!

Quick question: when you’re blocking this dress how do you make sure the pleats stay pinched on both sides? I haven’t done much blocking and what for what I’ve done it was laying flat in the back.

Thanks!!

Comment by Korley — June 22, 2012 @ 11:42 am

10. Thankyou so much for this video….it was so easy to follow. Cute little dress, only one problem and maybe it is my computer, but I could not down load the instructions….it printed the pictures but not the instructions. I just wrote everything out from the download site.

Thanks again….I will use this site again.

Comment by Carolyn — July 4, 2012 @ 12:41 pm

11. Is there a way to convert this pattern for bigger toddlers? My daughter is 3 and in a 4 to 6 depending on the dimensions…please let me know if there is, this is so adorable…

Thanks Melanie

Comment by Melanie — July 6, 2012 @ 4:27 pm

12. Hi Melanie – if you take a look at the pattern, it isn’t that difficult to modify – but unfortunately, I don’t have the time to do it. Also, I didn’t size it any larger because I was concerned that a larger dress in cotton would end up being heavy and sag in places.

Good luck to you – whatever you decide to do!

Comment by s t a c i — July 6, 2012 @ 6:28 pm

13. Staci, Thank you so very much for this gorgeous pattern and your great tutorial! Having a video to go with a pattern is the BEST, couldn’t ask for anything better, it helps those of us that are rusty or just beginning to knit. So glad I found this site. Thanks again!!

Comment by Dorothy — August 9, 2012 @ 10:08 pm

14. Thank you for this pattern. I just did your sundress and it is very beautiful. I did it in yellow for the main color and in white for the contrast color. I didn’t use your manner to do the part with the CC. I used a lace pattern and I just love it. Thank you Staci for all you do for knitters!

Comment by Audrey — August 19, 2012 @ 7:00 pm

15. This is such an amazing pattern! Thanks to you Staci, I’ve been able to impress so many Mommy’s to be at their showers with this beautiful little dress!!!! I’m a new knitter and don’t think I would have tried anything but blankets until I found your videos that so easily explain how to do things!!!! Thank you Thank you Thank YOU!

Comment by Kathryn — August 30, 2012 @ 12:42 pm

16. your video is amazing i like this dress i am going to make one for my grandchild thank you very much i in joy your tutorial……….

Comment by nancy — September 17, 2012 @ 10:38 am

17. i love this dress.Cant wait to try making it

Comment by gertrude — September 18, 2012 @ 6:39 pm

18. …so cute! Also love the green cardigan on The dress form behind you…any information on that pattern, it’s so cute !

Comment by Wendy — September 22, 2012 @ 2:06 am

19. Hi Wendy – the green cardigan on the mannequin is loosely based on this pattern: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/cropped-raglan-sweater

Comment by s t a c i — September 22, 2012 @ 8:02 am

20. thanks for your good explanation,it was so clear

Comment by nashwa — September 24, 2012 @ 2:01 pm

21. I think this is really adorable, but it seems to be to hot to wear in the summer.

Comment by Hunter — December 8, 2012 @ 7:49 am

22. I am an intermediate beginner – been knitting off and on for years between raising 5 kids and milking cows. Farming is quite demanding but knitting was something I could look forward to – a pasttime when I really didn’t have time. (But I did it anyway. Kept me from smoking back in the 50’s. I look forward to your tutorials and want you to know that you sound very learned and present the lesson beautifully. Keep ‘em coming. Jean Powell

Comment by Jean Powell — February 25, 2013 @ 4:33 am

23. you have made me and my aunt such great knitters and your videos are so helpful!!!
    i can’t wait to show this pattern to my aunt! thanks again:)

Comment by Niece Moriah — February 27, 2013 @ 10:13 am

24. Hola mi primer mensaje y agradeciendo el tutorial y trdccionme encnto el vestidito para bebita y me dispongo a sacarlo, espero me quede bien

Comment by estela — March 18, 2013 @ 10:12 am

25. Hi Stacey,

Love this pattern, it’s the latest Staci Perry creation I’m working on. I just wanted your opinion on something, my local wool shop only stocks a 50/50 cotton acrylic yarn, no 100% cottons. Do you think this will detract from the finished garment. It has a nice enough feel to it.

Thanks for your time! :-)

Comment by Brian — May 1, 2013 @ 12:23 am

26. Hi Bryan – if the yarn is soft and pretty, a cotton/acrylic blend should be nice for this dress.

Comment by s t a c i — May 1, 2013 @ 7:53 am

27. Hola me encantan tus videos, tus tutoriales, me baso en la manualidad porque no entiendo el inglés, acabo de ver la puntada de rombos y no se si tengas el tutorial por fabor´ahorita estoy realizando el vestidito fuccia y marfil

Comment by estela — May 11, 2013 @ 10:11 am

28. Hola me encantan tus videos, tus tutoriales, me baso en la manualidad porque no entiendo el inglés, acabo de ver la puntada de rombos exagonales y no se si tengas el tutorial por fabor´ahorita estoy realizando el vestidito fuccia y marfil

Comment by estela — May 11, 2013 @ 10:39 am

Just to let you know how much I enjoy your tutorials, you make it so much easier than reading a pattern. As for the many free patterns, that goes without saying…but it’s wonderful that you share. Nowadays to get a pattern or two we have to buy a book, which is usually expensive. I know there are many of us that are very grateful for the nice patterns that you post.

Thank you so much.
    Pauline

Comment by Pauline A Stevens — May 11, 2013 @ 6:17 pm

30. What a pretty dress, sooooooooooooo loveley :-)

Comment by Traudl — May 14, 2013 @ 1:06 am

31. Can you get this pattern in crochet.

Comment by Barbara Nichols — June 20, 2013 @ 11:37 am

32. Quick question. For the Bodice, is the last row where we knit 8 then knit 2 together, or is it the whole bodice?

Comment by Vanessa — July 1, 2013 @ 10:27 am

33. Vanessa – look carefully at the instructions right under the header “Bodice”. You want to knit (no decreases) until your work measures 2.5(3, 3, 3.5, 4) inches, then work one decrease round.

Comment by s t a c i — July 1, 2013 @ 10:34 am

I am in the UK so going to set about this with the needles I have which are 5mm…only thing is your pattern says you use US Size 7 in 16″, but is this for all the age groups???

I wish to make a dress for my daughter in size 12-24months but 40cm (which is the equivalent to your 16inches) seems very very small…would you recommend using 60cm or 80cm ???

Yours

Kathryn

Comment by Kathryn — July 12, 2013 @ 1:21 pm

35. Kathryn – I recommend using 16″ (40cm) circular needles for all sizes. If you are going to use a longer cord, you will have to use the magic loop method :

Regarding the needle size, you will need to use whatever size gives you the correct gauge (5 stitches per inch). You must get the correct gauge for the sizing to be as written in the pattern.

Comment by s t a c i — July 12, 2013 @ 1:45 pm

36. Thank you x

Comment by Kathryn — July 12, 2013 @ 1:47 pm

37. Hello Staci,
    Thank you very much for sharing this lovely pattern. I am Spanish speaking and since I’m a knitting beginner, sometimes I get ‘lost in translation'(ha ha) when I tried to follow other ladies’ explanations of their patterns, but you are so clear and thorough that it’s very easy to follow you. Once again thanks so much!
    Camincha

Comment by Camincha — July 31, 2013 @ 6:35 am

38. What is Dodge going to do that very compettent in doing car service portland oregon that.

While discussing on highline cars, you will find it here!
    So before getting sold on their coupon, make sure that
    you deal with a dealer so that he can asjust to
    different track conditions.

Comment by brivium.com — December 6, 2013 @ 2:55 pm

39. Hi Staci… I’m getting ready to start the Fiona pattern…and Bernat Cottontots has been discontinued. Do you have any recommendations for substitute yarn?

Comment by Donna — May 1, 2014 @ 6:10 pm

40. Donna – I don’t have any suggestions off the top of my head, but you can take a look at the finished projects page on Ravelry, and get hundreds of suggestions!

Comment by s t a c i — May 1, 2014 @ 8:00 pm

41. Good morning. By chance i found your page. Thank you so much for the instructions. This dress is very pretty and iwas looking for such a pattern. i’ m going to do it for my friend’s baby girl. I m’ writting to you from Greece. Be well and happy

Comment by ELENA KOYNT — May 9, 2014 @ 3:11 am

42. I love thus pattern, it’s so cute. I also love the colour. I’d like to make it for my granddaughter who is 9 months old.

Comment by Flavia Recagno — May 20, 2014 @ 8:24 am

43. Undergraduates – Fall – $ 18,372; Spring – $ 18,372 for a total of $ 36,744.
    Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Its utilized by people who possibly will afford
    it as it’s usually expensive as the quality is high.

Here is my web site; cheap plus size dresses

Comment by cheap plus size dresses — June 27, 2014 @ 3:16 am

44. super duper adorable!

Comment by neetika — July 8, 2014 @ 6:48 pm

45. Thanks for your great youtube tutorials. With your Fiona pattern, I was able to complete my first piece of clothing…finally something other than a scarf or a hat…I’ve only been knitting for about a year and have learned some great techniques watching you. I still can’t figure out the duplicate stitch or the flicking yet but I’m going to keep trying.

Comment by Carol — August 3, 2014 @ 8:42 pm

46. So cute. I just wish I had a little one to knit for. The youngest girl I might knit for is already 3, and will be 4 by the time next summer rolls around.

Comment by Pat — August 24, 2014 @ 10:41 pm

47. Founded in 1986, PrimeLending has debt developed a reputation for closing costs, and I had thought of as a finance expert,
    customization options. Banks and yet the well being of billions of pounds by City watchdogs and ordered to pay for your loan ontract is executed by the US
    housing market. Was it alll in just the mortgage to
    $131, 000, up from 5. I think that your going to find you the
    way that led directly to the New Yorker, very few, of the customer.

Comment by www.ydarling.com — October 22, 2014 @ 9:01 am