April 10th, 2013

Downton Hat Tutorial

To get your free pattern and follow along, visit this website.

Many thanks to Annie of knitsofacto.blogspot.com for allowing us to do a tutorial on this pattern! Be sure to check out Annie’s other designs.

Differences between the written pattern and the video tutorial: Summary – The pattern has you purling the brim and knitting the hat inside-out, the tutorial has you knitting the brim and working the hat right-side-out. The double moss stitch is worked the same in both methods. Details: In the section of the pattern titled “Sides, knitted in the round”, the pattern tells you to pick up and purl. In the tutorial, I show you how to work this by picking up and knitting. Also, in the section titled “Brim, knitted in the round”, the pattern tells you to purl two rounds and continue purling for 30 (or more) rounds. In the tutorial, I show how to work these knitted.

Links to things you’ll see in the video:

The sweater I’m wearing is Harvest Moon, knit with Berroco Blackstone Tweed in color “Wintry Mix”.

The sweater on the mannequin is my Zippered Letterman’s Jacket, pattern + video tutorial.

The yarn I used in my finished cap (it’s dark, but it’s an eggplant purple top with a black brim) is Berroco Ultra Alpaca Light, in colors Eggplant and Pitch Black.

The bamboo pins I use to check gauge can be found here.

The green row counter I use can be found here.

The bulky red yarn I used in the sample is Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick and Quick.

The orange and green bulky yarns I used is Berroco Peruvia Quick.

54 Comments

1. Hi! When I try to click on the link to get the pattern… It says error.. did it twice..maybe it’s me???? Who doesn’t love Downton Abbey????

Comment by nina — April 10, 2013 @ 8:35 am

2. Oh, OK.. only the link to her site doesn’t work.. the other links do.. Sorry!

Comment by nina — April 10, 2013 @ 8:38 am

3. Thank you, Nina – link is fixed!

Comment by s t a c i — April 10, 2013 @ 8:41 am

I am looking forward to making the Downton Hat…..It looks wonderful.
    It is adorable that you list the source for practically everything on your site.
    I just have one more question…..Where can I get the lovely white poster board upon which you knit? It is just delightful!!!!! (ha, ha)
    Take care,
    Bev

Comment by Beverly Hedberg — April 10, 2013 @ 9:31 am

5. Staci, I am very interested in making this hat, but would like to do it on slightly bigger needles. Can you tell me the dimensions of the moss stitch section in inches? All the rest will fall into place from there…I hope.

Pat

Comment by Patricia — April 10, 2013 @ 8:27 pm

6. Patricia – the gauge is listed in the free pattern. You’ll have some math to do, but the design is fairly simple. Good luck!

Comment by s t a c i — April 10, 2013 @ 8:31 pm

7. Hi Stacy,
    I have small question. I recently noticed that you change (yourself or it just was changed by itself :)) the youutube window on your website. Right now I cannot watch your videos from your website and make them full screen – this button just disappear. Do you think it could be change? I’m preatty used to your website and I preferred it that way.

Anyhow, bests from Poland :)

Olga

Comment by Olga — April 11, 2013 @ 4:03 am

8. Olga – yes, YouTube always makes changes, but it is still possible to watch in full screen. To do this, click the “play” button to get all of the options to appear. In the lower right corner, you’ll see a box icon. When you mouse-over this icon, it says “full screen”. Click the box to watch the video in full screen.

Hope that helps -

Comment by s t a c i — April 11, 2013 @ 6:33 am

9. I think I don’t have this box icon, hopefully they put it there a little late in my country or so.

Always helpful! :)

Olga

Comment by Olga — April 11, 2013 @ 6:42 am

10. I made the Downton Abby hat a few months ago. It really worked out nice. Am looking forward to the tutorials to see how I could have improved. Aslo made the Saroyan scarf, it really came out nice and so easy.

Comment by Carole — April 11, 2013 @ 2:11 pm

11. Hello Staci,
    Love your tutorials, and this hat is no exception! I have a quick question…I know you’ve mentioned them before, but can you remind me where you got your nifty metal stitch marker that you used when picking up stitches.
    Thanks for all the great videos…the crochet series was great.
    Eleonora

Comment by Eleonora — April 11, 2013 @ 8:05 pm

Thanks for the turtorial I know I will enjoy working the pattern thanks to watching you.

Eleanora’s comment regarding the stitch markers reminded me that I have tried the link a few times but they say they are on vacation or whatever and that’s been for months now lol.

Comment by Mary Tole — April 11, 2013 @ 9:19 pm

13. Eleonora – you can always find things that I regularly use in the videos on my Frequently Asked Questions page: http://verypink.com/frequently-asked-questions/

Those markers are from Rycrafty on Etsy, and can be found here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/rycrafty?ref=seller_info

Comment by s t a c i — April 11, 2013 @ 9:45 pm

Thanks for the information. Hopefully the store will re-open soon.

@Mary – I know…closed store, what a bummer!!! I’ll keep checking and hope that the store will open soon so that not only Staci gets to use those cool stitch markers! :-)

Comment by Eleonora — April 13, 2013 @ 1:47 pm

15. You should make some videos on patterns from vogueknitting.com…they are mostly free and they are really cool…just an idea

Comment by Bradley — April 17, 2013 @ 7:50 am

16. Stacie , I am making Downton hat and have finished picking up stitches. The instruction say to purl but I like you knit the stitches all the way around. My question is….what would happen if you worked the MOSS STITCH while picking up stitches. I am not really happy with that one row of knit stitches. Love your site and all tutorials. Jo Ann

Comment by Jo Ann — April 17, 2013 @ 10:00 am

17. Jo Ann – give it a try, see how it looks. I’ve made a few of these hats, and picking up and knitting looks fine. It all kind of gets lost in the pattern of the moss stitch.

Comment by s t a c i — April 17, 2013 @ 10:06 am

18. Staci what yarns did you use to make your Downton Hat? Jo Ann

Comment by Jo Ann — April 22, 2013 @ 7:12 am

19. Jo Ann – all of the information to things you’ll see in the video (including patterns/yarns/needles) is always listed out just below the video, including links. I used Berroco Ultra Alpaca for my hat – link and color names above.

Comment by s t a c i — April 22, 2013 @ 7:35 am

20. I have started the hat and purchased a wool to match the pattern but wow I am making the first adult size and it is very small!! I am wondering if I have the right wool??

Comment by Heather Stinson — April 24, 2013 @ 8:13 pm

21. I have patrons kroy sock wool? It is very fine.

Comment by Heather Stinson — April 24, 2013 @ 8:15 pm

22. Heather – sock yarn is finer than the pattern calls for. The pattern calls for DK weight yarn, which is thicker. Regardless, if you checked your gauge (stitches per inch) and you were on track, the hat should be the correct size, regardless of the yarn you used.

I discuss checking gauge in the pattern video, but you can also see a video dedicated to it here: http://verypink.com/2010/12/21/checking-gauge/

Comment by s t a c i — April 24, 2013 @ 8:19 pm

23. The pattern called for 3.25 mm needles but looks like you used 3.75? I did ask the salesgirl in the store and with the 3.25 mm that is what she came up with.

Comment by Heather Stinson — April 24, 2013 @ 8:27 pm

24. Heather – I believe I used 3.25mm, but I could be wrong. Needle size is unimportant. Depending on whether you knit loosely or tightly (or somewhere in-between) you will need to use whatever needle size gets you the correct gauge (as I explained in my last comment). Gauge for this pattern is 24 stitches over 4″ in the double moss stitch. You must, must, must check your gauge for a successful hat!

Comment by s t a c i — April 24, 2013 @ 8:57 pm

25. Hi, stacy love your web site and tutorials. I am knitting the adult 2 size Downton hat and the directions say to repeat the 4 rows 14 times which equals 56 but the pattern says I should have 60 rows. My moss stitch square measures 5.5 by 5.5. Do I need to repeat the 4 row pattern one more time? And can you tell me if the square is to small for the size I am making? When I check gauge I believe it correct if I am checking correctly. I am using the recommended needle size and DK weight yarn. Thanks

Comment by Mary green — April 27, 2013 @ 10:49 am

26. Staci, it is dumbbell Jo Ann again. I have such a hard time using computers I should Void them. But then .i would not get to enjoy your site. I am trying to subscribe to your channel but cannot get things going right. I have address for GMail but still can’t get in. Any help you know of? Jo Ann

Comment by Jo Ann — June 2, 2013 @ 6:42 pm

27. Hi JoAnn – if you are trying to subscribe to my website (where you left this comment), you want to look in the left navigation bar that runs along the left side of the page, and look for the orange button to subscribe. If you are trying to subscribe to my YouTube channel, you want to go here: http://www.youtube.com/user/verypinkknits, then click “subcribe” at the top of the page.

Comment by s t a c i — June 2, 2013 @ 9:26 pm

28. Thanks, Staci! :)

Comment by kelsey larson — July 15, 2013 @ 8:56 pm

29. I wanted to check and see if I knit the brim like you mention, after picking up and knitting to add the sides, will the hat have the same apperance as if I had purled the brim? I really like the look in the photo and I can’t tell by your hat in the video if it looks the same as the photograph.
    Thank you for all that you do to help people with their knitting!

Comment by Karen Brouillet — July 24, 2013 @ 10:12 am

30. Karen – the modifications I make in the video leave you with a hat that is identical to the pattern photos. If you choose to knit the brim instead of purling, make sure the right side of the hat is showing. Then, when the hat is finished and you fold the brim, the reverse stockinette (purl side) will be shown on the brim.

Comment by s t a c i — July 24, 2013 @ 10:34 am

31. After doing the 2×2 ribbing, do I still purl the two rows before changing colors when following your directions?

Comment by Karen Brouillet — July 27, 2013 @ 4:08 pm

32. Karen – no…no purling after the ribbing. You can knit two rounds, then change color.

Comment by s t a c i — July 27, 2013 @ 4:44 pm

33. Hi there! I desperately need help. I’m an advanced beginner, and I just can’t get the gauge right for this. I just got done knitting my umpteenth gauge swatch on size 10 needles and still have way more stitches then the gauge calls for. Any suggestions for a desperate knitter? Thanks.

Comment by Beth — July 27, 2013 @ 6:53 pm

34. Beth – you need to go up a needle size, and if necessary, go up more than one needle size if you’re getting too many stitches per inch. Good for you for checking gauge!

Comment by s t a c i — July 27, 2013 @ 7:08 pm

35. I’ve knit quite a bit and can generally understand the instructions, but I’m feeling pretty confused by her instructions. And believe me, I’m sure it’s just a DUH moment. LOL

Row one says – (RS)(K2, P2) repeat to last O (2, 0, 2, 0, 2) stitches, KO (2, 0, 2, 0, 2)
    Row two – (WS) PO (2, 0, 2, 0, 2), (K2 P2) to end

What does she mean by the “0″, “KO”, and “PO”

Thanks!

Comment by Debbie — August 14, 2013 @ 5:36 pm

36. The zeros mean that there are no stitches to work in that size. That’s it!

Comment by s t a c i — August 14, 2013 @ 8:58 pm

37. Staci
    I love this pattern and would love to make one for my daughter who is a big fan of Downton and vintage clothing. Arthritis has limited my ability to knit with small needles and fine yarn. Could I use a #4 or #5 weight yarn with larger needles to make the hat. I’m assuming if the gauge matches it would be okay, but would the hat look the same or would it look to large?
    Thanks for your very informative video.
    goldie

Comment by Goldie — August 27, 2013 @ 8:55 am

38. Hi Goldie – thank you for the note. I’m not sure how the hat would look in a bigger gauge, since I haven’t test knit it myself that way. There is a chance that it would be heavier and floppier – but it could look cool that way! You might want to look at the finished hats on Ravelry, and see if someone has modified the pattern for a bigger gauge.

Comment by s t a c i — August 27, 2013 @ 9:02 am

39. Do you knit English or continental style?

Comment by Sacia — October 4, 2013 @ 1:09 pm

40. Sacia – My primary way of knitting is a variation of English style, called flicking. You can see a slow demonstration here:

Comment by s t a c i — October 4, 2013 @ 1:50 pm

41. Hi! I love your videos! You have a real gift and thank you for sharing it with us. I can only view the 1st video of the downton hat. I don’t know why because I have viewed several of your other videos. Can you help me?……..Thank you so much

Comment by Lisa Lavieri — October 25, 2013 @ 4:53 pm

42. Lisa – thank you for the note. There is only one video, broken into multiple parts.

Comment by s t a c i — October 25, 2013 @ 4:59 pm

43. Hi Staci: Thank you, thank you, thank you! Your video tutorials are the best and clearest of any that I’ve seen. I love this hat and now have confidence that that my project(s) will turn out well for my mother and sisters who all love Downton Abbey.

Comment by Mara — November 2, 2013 @ 8:50 am

44. Staci, thanks again for another great video. You have so many loyal followers!! The pattern suggests using circular needles from the beginning, but you started with straights. Is there a reason for that?

Comment by Sandra — November 4, 2013 @ 2:41 pm

45. Hi Sandra – you can use straight needles or circulars for the very first part of the hat. It is a flat square that makes the crown.

Thank you for the note!

Comment by s t a c i — November 4, 2013 @ 2:46 pm

I am really excited to make the Downton hat. I’m fairly new to knitting but I was able to pick up quick because I am a crocheter. I’ve been practicing knitting in the round on DPNs and feel really comfortable so my question is would it be an easier to continue using them for this pattern or try circulars?
    Thanks for you help,
    Tonya

Comment by Tonya — December 27, 2013 @ 5:36 pm

47. Tonya – you’ll probably find that knitting on circular needles is actually easier than using DPNs (less fuss), but if you’re already comfortable with DPNs, you’ll have no problem using them on this pattern.

Comment by s t a c i — December 27, 2013 @ 9:11 pm

48. Can’t wait to get started on this hat! I love your videos and tutorials. I do have a question about yarns. I will be making this hat for a cancer patient. My sister volunteers at MD Anderson here in Houston and the women she works with really want stylish hats to wear to keep their heads warm BUT most find wool and wool blends too scratchy on their bare heads. I have only ever knit with natural fibers – wools, cottons, bamboo, etc. and have no idea how to translate a wool into another fiber for this (or any hat for that matter) Can you give me some guidelines to make yarn selection easier?

Thanks so much!
    Peggy

Comment by Peggy Schaefer — January 8, 2014 @ 5:47 pm

49. Hi Peggy – I’m afraid I’m not much help here, as I am not much of a yarn connoisseur. (Many people find that surprising – I just get far more excited about patterns than I do about yarn!) But here is a link to the projects for this pattern on Ravelry. You’ll see all kinds of yarn that have been used for this hat, and that should get you going in the right direction:

Comment by s t a c i — January 8, 2014 @ 6:23 pm

50. What does the term KO and PO mean in the Downton Abbey Hat pattern? I just love when they give you abbreviations that don’t appear in the pattern instructions. Thank you for your help.

Comment by Linda Ferraro — January 8, 2014 @ 8:34 pm

51. Linda – there is no KO or PO abbreviation…those are K zero and P zero, numbers set for the smaller sizes of the pattern.

Comment by s t a c i — January 8, 2014 @ 8:53 pm

52. Just finished the runrig fingerless mitts. Loved doing them. Is there a pattern that you have for them with a thumb.

Comment by EllyHolland — January 12, 2014 @ 6:45 pm

53. I thought I had posted this already but I’m not seeing it appear so I’m trying again. I have a question about the pattern that I cannot find an answer to. She calls for “Requires just 100g to 150g of woollen double knit yarn.” Does she mean knit using 2 strands of yarn? I’m just not familiar with the term “double knit”.

Also, while knitting up a gauge swatch, I’m having difficulty telling the wrong side from the right side. Both sides look identical to me. Is there a trick in knowing which side you are on?

Thanks so much!

Comment by Peggy Schaefer — January 13, 2014 @ 12:32 pm

54. Peggy – “double knit” is usually called “DK” weight yarn. You can find a yarn names conversion chart here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarn_weight

The stitch looks the same on both sides. You can keep track of right-side vs wrong-side by counting rows, or attaching a clip marker to the right-side, when you’re working an odd-numbered row.

Comment by s t a c i — January 13, 2014 @ 1:15 pm

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.