August 7th, 2013

Fancy Stitch Combos – Waffle Stitch

Instructions for working the Waffle Stitch:
Cast-on a multiple of 3 stitches, plus 1.
Row 1 (WS): K1, *P2, K1*, repeat between *s to end
Row 2: P1, *K2, P1*, repeat between *s to end
Row 3: K across all stitches
Row 4: same as Row 2
Work to desired length, bind-off normally on Row 3.

To work this stitch in the round:
Cast-on a multiple of 3 stitches.
Round 1: *K2, P1*, repeat between *s to end
Round 2: *K2, P1*, repeat between *s to end
Round 3: P across all stitches
Round 4: *K2, P1*, repeat between *s to end
Work to desired length, bind-off purl-wise on Row 3.

The green sweater on the mannequin is my Learn to Knit a Woman’s Sweater, pattern + video tutorial.

The bulky orange yarn I used in the sample and for demonstration is Berroco Peruvia Quick.

The DK weight yarn I used in the striped sample is Madeline Tosh, Tosh Sport.

The long-strand dyed yarn I used in the sample is Noro Silk Garden Chunky.

The wood needles I use for demonstration are by Clover, size 10.5 (6.5mm)

1. As soon as I saw this Waffle Stitch
    I thought. SOX!!!!!

In fact, either side is great for sox
    So will be added to my rotation.

Knowing it lays flat
    Increases the possibilitiefrom dishcloths to cowls

Thanks, once again, for increasing my enjoyment of knitting, Staci.

Hugs

Comment by GerryART — August 7, 2013 @ 4:01 pm

2. it’s love at first sight …

Helen

Comment by Helen — August 7, 2013 @ 4:03 pm

3. This will be super for dishcloth and dish towel sets.

Comment by Cherann — August 7, 2013 @ 5:48 pm

4. Each combo stitch is better than the last. So many pleasant decisions to make. Certainly expanded my charity knitting choices. Many thanks.

Comment by Betty Listello — August 8, 2013 @ 5:37 am

5. Staci, I’m still fairly new at knitting, so this may be a silly question, but after Row 4, how do I proceed with the repeat? R1, R2, R3, R4, R2, and then??

Comment by Bonnie L. — August 8, 2013 @ 12:29 pm

6. Bonnie – after Row 4, you start back with Row 1, then 2, 3, 4, then back to 1 again. Nothing confusing.

Comment by s t a c i — August 8, 2013 @ 12:41 pm

7. OK, the reason I asked is because in the written pattern above, it says Row 4 is the same as Row 2. Shouldn’t Row 4 be the same as Row 1?

Comment by Bonnie L. — August 8, 2013 @ 12:47 pm

8. Bonnie – the odd numbered rows are both the wrong side of the work. The even numbered rows (2 and 4) are the right side of the work, and Row 4 is worked the same as Row 2.

Comment by s t a c i — August 8, 2013 @ 12:50 pm

9. Oh, my brain just kicked into gear! Got it! :)

Comment by Bonnie L. — August 8, 2013 @ 12:52 pm

10. Hi Staci!
    I’m wondering what DK yarn you used in the two-tone sample shown?

Comment by Annelie Schoop — August 8, 2013 @ 4:27 pm

11. Annelie – I always list the yarns you see in the video in the website post, but I see I accidentally deleted some text! The DK weight yarn is Madeline Tosh, Tosh Sport, link above.

Comment by s t a c i — August 8, 2013 @ 4:38 pm

12. Is there any chance that you will do some lace knit sitch vidios?

Comment by Linda — March 8, 2014 @ 3:45 pm