January 13th, 2011

Learn to Knit Your First Scarf

Here it is – the pattern and video tutorial for brand-new knitters. This tutorial will teach you to knit, and get you started on your first project at the same time. Pattern includes links to 7 instructional videos.

This tutorial covers all of the basics, which will set you up well for future projects! We learn slip knot, casting-on, knit stitch, purl stitch, binding off, pattern reading, and how to alternate knits and purls in the same row.

Materials Needed:
• one skein of Lion Brand Wool-Ease Worsted (widely available at craft stores), or 200 yards of another worsted-weight yarn, preferably wool or wool-blend
• size 10.5 US needles (preferably wooden ones)
• a tapestry needle for weaving in your ends

This pattern is available in three different formats, each includes links to 7-part video tutorial:

1. PDF Pattern, traditional and printable. $8.00 via PayPal

2. Amazon Kindle digital download (suitable for Kindle devices and devices that use the Kindle app): $6.00 US.

3. eReader (For non-Kindle eReaders, like Sony eReader and Barnes & Noble Nook, or any device using the Google Play Books app) $6.72 US

Information on things you’ll see in the video:
The scarf on the mannequin is my Learn to Knit an Aran Shawl, pattern + video tutorial.
The sweater I’m wearing is the Featherweight Cardigan, knit with Malabrigo Lace.

Part 7 of the video series is a private video, and the link is provided within the pattern.

1. This is a wonderful intro video to learn how to cast on! I watched a few other you tube videos, and this one helped the best. It is thorough, slow, and redundant. I really appreciatre the time and care that went into making this video! I definitely recommend it!

Comment by Kirsten — December 21, 2010 @ 11:38 am

2. Your videos are amazing. I can’t wait to try to knit the socks. I was scared to try to make socks because of the multiple needles. Your videos made it look so much easier than I thought it would be. Thanks!

Comment by Sara King — January 1, 2011 @ 4:50 pm

3. Thank you so much! You have the best knitting website I have ever seen. I can’t wait to get into more complicated stuff know that I understand the basics so well.

Comment by Bethany — April 19, 2011 @ 1:13 pm

4. You’re welcome, Bethany! I’m glad my videos are helping!

Comment by s t a c i — April 19, 2011 @ 3:45 pm

5. Is there a video that shows how to knit the row after you purl? Because it is VERY confussing! I bought your pattern and these vidos are helpful, but when you’re kiniting and purling on the same row, then the next row has too much going on to figure out which loop is which.

Comment by Stephanie — June 18, 2012 @ 4:04 pm

6. Thanks so much. I’m taking trying knitting for a change from needlepointing and making for years. This is a great teaching video. Thanks so much. Nancy

Comment by Nancy — August 12, 2012 @ 5:04 pm

7. It should read “making pottery”

Comment by Nancy — August 12, 2012 @ 5:07 pm

8. This was an excellent series and the very best tutorials I’ve seen on knitting. I have been knitting for some time and used to do it all the time in elementary school. But I thought I’d look in to the beginner stuff again to see if there was anywhere that I could improve. Lo and behold! I feel like I can do a better job. These tutorials were easy, slow, very explanatory, which were all great and really helps that you show such patience in teaching this way. Everyone else have been kindda fast and so it’s been difficult to pick up much form them. Thank you for these videos, these were wonderful.

Comment by Beloved Doll — August 31, 2012 @ 8:45 am

9. love LUV LUV LUV YOU VEDIOS

Comment by vanity — September 26, 2012 @ 12:12 pm

I know how to knit because I have taken classes at Craftsy.com But, truthfully, I spend most of my time here. That is an honest statement! My problem is that I do not know how to hold my yarn. I can knit Continental style or English (English is better for me) but I just cannot hold the needle and yarn where I get a tight enough grip on both. I think I have it, but as soon as I put the needle in the first stitch all leaves my head. I love the way you hold your yarn. It seems to glide over the stitches, either knitting or purling. Can you possibly help me?

PS I need to add that I can knit with bulk yard as pretty as you please. Weird, huh?

Thanks so much,
    Sharon

Comment by Sharon Bowman — October 11, 2012 @ 10:44 am

11. I see how you are holding your yarn and the needle. You are not trying to hold on to both as you knit. You are throwing the yarn while the needle rests in the stitch. I am trying to hold both and it’s driving me crazy. Thanks so much for these classes!!!

Comment by Sharon Bowman — October 11, 2012 @ 10:52 am

12. The videos are great but is it possible to do just a knit stitch in your project or do you have to use both?

Thanks again,
    Ella
    xx

Comment by Ellabrooke — November 1, 2012 @ 4:39 am

13. That is a really good tip especially to those fresh to the blogosphere.

Short but very accurate info… Thanks for sharing this one.
    A must read post!

Comment by runescape — November 3, 2012 @ 6:50 pm

14. Hello: enjoy your site, how do you keep good tnesion on edge stitches

Comment by Marina — November 13, 2012 @ 6:32 am

15. Marina – keeping good edge tension is really the same as keeping good tension throughout your work – it takes practice. Here is my video on Getting Good Tension, hope it helps! http://verypink.com/2012/08/22/getting-good-tension/

Comment by s t a c i — November 13, 2012 @ 7:32 am

16. very useful. Thanks alot!!

Comment by sawsan — December 3, 2012 @ 9:05 am

17. THANK-YOU, so much!!! I have watched alot of youtube videos on how to knit. And Just couldn’t get it. I love your videos. Can’t wait to watch more and learn more. I crochet for my business but my mittens aren’t very warm, so I thought I would learn how to knit. Can’t wait to start making and selling knitted items! :)
    Thank-You for the lessons, time, and patterns.
    Thank-You for blessing me and I hope to pass on what I have learnt here, on to my girls. THANK-YOU!
    Natasha
    Nat’s Crafting Factory

Comment by Natasha — December 13, 2012 @ 11:35 am

18. Hola. Mi nivel de inglés no es avanzado y no entiendo bien algunas explicaciones. Me gustaría que los videos llevaran subtítulos en español. Creo que esto puede ayudar a que se promocionen mejor los videos.

Comment by Esther Ponce — December 26, 2012 @ 1:03 am

19. Los videos tienen subtítulos en español! Haz clic en el botón “CC” en la parte inferior de la pantalla de vídeo cuando se reproduce el video, y seleccione “Títulos traducir”. ¡Buena suerte!

Comment by s t a c i — December 26, 2012 @ 9:26 am

20. I was excited to discover this great site. I wanted to thank you for your time just for this wonderful read!
    ! I definitely appreciated every part of it and i also have you bookmarked to check out new information
    on your blog.

Comment by Emile — January 27, 2013 @ 8:46 am

21. couldn’t checkout… all in chinese for paypay..help!

Comment by JAN NEIL — January 27, 2013 @ 2:02 pm

22. * pay pal!

Comment by JAN NEIL — January 27, 2013 @ 2:02 pm

23. I’m sorry, Jan…I’ve never heard of someone’s PayPal transaction being in another language! It must be the way you have the settings in your computer, or in PayPal specifically. I don’t think I can help you…I believe you’re going to need to call PayPal directly.

Comment by s t a c i — January 27, 2013 @ 5:15 pm

24. I am sasaychin scaf

Comment by Dawn roll — February 24, 2013 @ 5:17 pm

25. Superb, what a webpage it is! This blog provides
    helpful facts to us, keep it up.

Comment by Russian translator — April 30, 2013 @ 9:30 am

26. It’s an awesome piece of writing in support of all the internet viewers; they will get benefit from it I am sure.

Comment by promote — May 15, 2013 @ 3:30 pm

27. Very good website you have here but I was wondering if you knew of any community forums that cover the same topics discussed here?

I’d really love to be a part of group where I can get suggestions from other knowledgeable individuals that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Cheers!

Comment by Clash of Clans Gem Hack — July 17, 2013 @ 4:39 am

28. I enjoy watching your videos. I was wondering if you could post a video showing how to knit around another materials like cotton and linen. My plan is to make my own pocket squares which involve knitting around a cotton or linen.

Sean

Comment by Sean — July 30, 2013 @ 1:21 pm

29. Good post. I learn something new and challenging on websites I stumbleupon everyday.
    It’s always useful to read through articles from other authors and practice a little something from other sites.

Feel free to visit my page; model baju wanita

Comment by model baju wanita — August 8, 2013 @ 6:05 pm

30. Thank you soooooo much mam!!
    These kinds of talents really lack nowadays.
    But I “LOVE” knitting, & you too!! :D

Comment by Iman — August 11, 2013 @ 1:23 pm

31. I bought your First Scarf pattern and I’m having a problem. According to the instructions, my scarf is supposed to be 6 inches wide. But so far it’s just barely 5 inches wide. I’m using the same yarn you did and the correct size needles. I don’t think I’m pulling the yarn too tightly as I form the stitches.

Could the problem be how I cast on? I’m using the long tail cast-on as per your video. The cast-on stitches have no space between them. Should I instead cast on more loosely with space between the stitches? But I’m not sure how to leave space or how much to leave.

Mary

Comment by Mary H. — August 19, 2013 @ 6:01 pm

32. HI Mary – a couple of notes for you here. First, it’s okay that your scarf is narrower – it is still a viable scarf. Gauge isn’t all that important when you’re knitting something that doesn’t need to fit, like a sweater needs to fit.

I doubt that your cast-on is too tight – I’m sure that your overall gauge is just tighter than mine was, using the same needle size and yarn. This is not unusual – we all have our own tension. If you want a wider scarf, you can make that happen by using a bigger needle size, and getting the same gauge I did.

Comment by S t a c i — August 19, 2013 @ 6:15 pm

33. Hi,
    I really like the pattern here Except I would like it to be an infinity scarf. I am a beginner but know most of the basics. I did a couple of your patterns last year and now that the cooler weather is settling in here in VT I want to start some knitting. With that said would I need to change anything in this pattern to use circular needles and make it an infinity?

Comment by Dorie — August 26, 2013 @ 10:15 am

34. Dorie – you can knit this pattern as written, then seam it into a circular scarf – that would be the easiest thing to do. But to truly knit it in-the-round would require a rewriting of the pattern. This tutorial is meant to teach folks how to knit, and it sounds like you already know how to do that! I suggest you search on Ravelry for an infinity scarf you like, then work from that pattern, without needing to alter the pattern at all.

Comment by s t a c i — August 26, 2013 @ 10:57 am

35. Staci, I have been looking at your videos, You are a very good teacher! I recently bought the beginner scarf pattern, I really like the stitch pattern, and I was wondering if you might have any ideas how I might knit this in the round to make a hat that would match the scarf? By the way I was also reluctant to try 2 socks on one needle, but after watching your video and purchasing the pattern I was able to get it cast on and think this is how I will be making any future socks. Thank you so much for all of the lessons. Next project is Mobius drop stitch wrap, wish me luck! Renee

Comment by Renee — September 1, 2013 @ 7:52 am

36. Hi Renee – thank you for the note. This stitch combo isn’t a good choice for a hat, because it isn’t stretchy enough. If you’re just learning to knit caps, you can try my Learn to Knit You First Cap pattern…if you knit it from the same yarn, it will match the scarf: http://verypink.com/2011/04/07/learn-to-knit-your-first-cap/

Otherwise, you can browse Ravelry for hat patterns – again, if you use the same yarn and the hat stitch combo is a simple one, it will match the scarf.

Comment by s t a c i — September 1, 2013 @ 8:47 am

37. Howdy! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this website?

I’m getting sick and tired of WordPress because I’ve
    had issues with hackers and I’m looking at alternatives for another platform.
    I would be awesome if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

Comment by hack coc — October 21, 2013 @ 11:43 pm

38. Is there an advantage to the long-tail method of casting on? I picked up a method years ago from an old friend. I start with only a slipknot and then simply knit stitches back onto my left needle until I have the required number. Are there times when I should use one method rather than the other? Thanks for your site!

Comment by AmyJack — November 22, 2013 @ 5:02 pm

39. Hi Amy – the cast-on you use sounds like the Knitted Cast-On. Both the Long-Tail and the Knitted CO are good, all-purpose, cast-ons. I prefer the long-tail since it is much quicker to work.

Comment by s t a c i — November 22, 2013 @ 6:30 pm

40. I can’t seem to be able to pull up part 3 of Learn to Knit a Scarf, Long-tail CO. Is it faulty or is it me? Thanks so much.

Comment by Dana — December 20, 2013 @ 5:08 am

41. The video is playing fine, sorry you’re having trouble. You can also watch the video directly on YouTube here:

Comment by s t a c i — December 20, 2013 @ 7:53 am

Can you, by any chance, say what is the pattern of the scarf in the background? :) Looks lovely!!

Best wishes,
    Anna.

Comment by Anna — January 2, 2014 @ 9:39 am

43. Hi Anna – I’ve just updated the post to include that info. The scarf on the mannequin is my Learn to Knit an Aran Shawl pattern + video tutorial:

Comment by s t a c i — January 2, 2014 @ 9:45 am

44. Thanks!!

I knew it looked familiar :)

Anna.

Comment by Anna — January 2, 2014 @ 9:56 am

45. I guess i need some dpns all my needles are one sided and I feel they are to long, for I just can’t grasp knitting. Looking forward to this once I get my dpns tomorrow. Thank you for sharing your tutorials.

Comment by Juliana G — January 2, 2014 @ 10:00 am

46. I would like a tutorial on making ladie mitts. preferably easy ones. thanks Roberta.

Comment by Roberta Barker — January 14, 2014 @ 8:51 am

47. Thank you Staci for your wonderful instructional videos! I have only been knitting 2 yrs now and have much to learn! Your videos make learning so much easier! One thing I have a hard time doing is actually reading and understanding patterns. I don’t know if you cover anything like that in your instructional videos but it might be something to consider if you don’t already! Thanks again for all the time and effort you put into these videos! susan

Comment by susan colavito — February 19, 2014 @ 7:16 am

I love your website. I love visiting with you. It’s like visiting with an old friend.
    I have tried your long tail cast on and love it, and was wondering if there was any instance you couldn’t use that cast on, or if you could use it all the time?
    Warm regards,
    Barb

Comment by Barb Birdsall — March 4, 2014 @ 10:57 am

49. Hi Barb – thank you for the note. The long-tail cast-on is my favorite, all-purpose cast-on. I use it for just about every knitting project. The only time you might want to use a different CO is if the pattern you’re knitting calls for it, or if you need something stretchier. (In that case, I recommend the German Twisted CO).

Comment by s t a c i — March 4, 2014 @ 1:02 pm

50. Hi I had purchased kindle edition of this project so me and my 6 year old daughter can learn to knit giving us somthing to do together this summer. I seem to be having a problem in that the links to the videos are not working plz help thx

Comment by Jason Ljunggren — May 27, 2014 @ 11:01 am

51. Hi Jason – if your Kindle isn’t the kind that allows for web browsing, you will need to look at the video parts on another device (computer, laptop, tablet, phone, etc.). You can just type out the links you see into a browser…the first six video segments are available here on this page where you commented.

Comment by s t a c i — May 27, 2014 @ 12:21 pm

52. You are by far my favorite to teach me how to knit & help me thru knitting problems. There is no other who gets to the process & explains everything at a pace that is not rushed and shows clearly in your videos what your hands are doing while knitting. Thanks so very much for your video instructions, I would be lost without them & you. Thanks so very much as I start my beginning to learn how to knit.

Comment by Lori — August 16, 2014 @ 6:55 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.