January 13th, 2011

Learn to Knit Socks

Learn by watching!
1. Get your pattern – $8.00 US via PayPal

2. Get your yarn and needles – worsted weight yarn and size 5 US double-pointed needles.

3. Get your knit on – the pattern references the videos below to get you through the tricky parts. (You must have an internet connection to view the videos.)

Video 1 – Working with double-pointed needles and starting the cuff.

Video 2 – Dividing for the heel flap and knitting the heel flap.

Video 3 – Turning the heel.

Video 4 – Working the gusset.

Video 5 – Toe shaping.

Video 6 – Kitchener stitch (grafting the toe).

1. Hi Staci-
    First off, thank you for posting such professional and easy to follow videos! DPNs seriously intimidated me, as I am fairly new to knitting (6 weeks maybe?), so once I figured out how to knit in the round on cabled needles (1 pair) I was inspired by a friend who made some simple yet festive socks for herself on dpn’s.

I have seen several other videos out there, and while they are lovely knitters and the quality may be good on the videos, they lacked that natural teaching quality.

I enjoy the way you ‘Break it on down’ for the socks- they ARE an unusually shaped clothing item and for this newbie- it made a lot of sense, so I thank you!

Now I got as far as turning the heel (awesome to see it come to shape by my own hands!) and then somehow goofed on the the second part of the gusset, so I ripped it all out and will start again tomorrow when my eyeballs uncross!

Thank you again for the great video quality, the gentle and humorous teaching style (if I am ever in Austin I will stop by the shop) and for the work you do with Basenji’s.
    I am an CA State Humane Officer myself and appreciate the efforts of anyone who works to help animals.

Keep it up!
    Sharon

Comment by Sharon Stephens — March 18, 2010 @ 1:41 am

2. OOPS…just re-read…it should have read EX-CA State Humane Officer….
    Also a photographer- and I am having a blast looking at your Flikr shots!
    Well done!

Comment by Sharon Stephens — March 18, 2010 @ 4:55 am

3. Tippy HAS been a very busy boy…………..

Comment by Ginny — March 19, 2010 @ 5:26 am

4. I just wanted to say how much I enjoy watching your videos. I am a self-taught knitter and have only made dishcloths up to now. I used your technique/stitch videos to further my knowledge and found them very easy to learn from. I have 3 books on sock knitting, and none of them break the process down or make it look as doable as you do. I have gathered all my supplies and will be starting my first pair of socks using your pattern in the coming weeks to months as my schedule permits, so I hope you keep your videos up for a good long time! :) I am actually from Austin and hope to visit the shop next time I’m in town. Thank you for such quality videos. I feel like I have my own private teacher in the comfort of my own home.

Comment by Sally — March 20, 2010 @ 5:14 pm

5. Thank you for posting your knitting videos on youtube. My first knitting project was a basic stitch scarf which took me two years to complete. My second project was socks which I was able to complete in two weeks by just watching your videos. I started my sock project trying to follow the book but I got stuck at the heel. I accidentally came across your sock videos on youtube and was able to complete my socks in no time. Your videos are of good quality and I was able to keep up with the pace. Thanks again.

Comment by Danette — April 2, 2010 @ 9:39 pm

6. hello staci!
    i just completed my first pair of sock in 4 days using your pattern and watching the videos on youtube! i’m a beginning knitter and have only been knitting for about 4mos and have been wanting to give socks a try. this was easy. you were like my own personal teacher and if i didn’t catch something, i could just replay and with it being on youtube, i could access it at anytime of the night or day. now my dad, husband and little boy have put in requests. thanks so much!

Comment by Michelle — April 14, 2010 @ 1:12 pm

7. Hi Staci

Love the videos!

Before I buy the pattern, just wanted to check what size the socks will be. I wear a small size. Should I try to use 2 ply yarn maybe or a smaller needle?

Thank you!

Comment by Bhavna — April 10, 2011 @ 7:57 pm

8. Hi Bhavna – thanks for the note! Even if you have a small foot, you will want to knit the pattern in the same size yarn and needles as the pattern calls for. The socks are stretchy, and should fit your foot fine if your foot is about normal width. The pattern tells you how to make the sock a perfect fit for the length of your foot, so that part is easy. :)

If you have any questions while you’re knitting the pattern, you can always email me for a quick answer.

Comment by s t a c i — April 11, 2011 @ 8:47 am

I completed my first sock after your class today at Guage. That was a great class and you are a marvelous teacher. Too bad I’m not a very good knitter. : ( but I’m hanging in there and I have hopes that my socks mate will be the pretty one. Your video are a tremendous help to new knitters like me who want to expand their repertoire beyond scarfs.
    Thanks again.

Loretta

Comment by Loretta — April 17, 2011 @ 9:00 pm

The gussett is the absolute most diffficult part of the sock for me.

When I pick up the stiches on the second side, they are much tighter and there is a stich between the v’s. Am I doing something wrong?

Vicki

Comment by vick — April 29, 2011 @ 8:46 am

11. I am having trouble downloading my sock pattern

Comment by Charlotte Sego — April 30, 2011 @ 8:11 pm

12. Your videos were SO helpful as I learned to knit socks! Now I’m hooked on socks, and still revisit your video on the kichener stitch as I finish each sock! I think I will now buy your pattern/videos on knitting two socks at once on circulars. You are an AMAZING teacher (or dare I say … you rock my socks?!) Oh! I just bought your basic scarf pattern/videos to teach my 22 year old daughter who asked to learn to knit! You’re terrific. THANKS!

Comment by Sara from Seattle — June 4, 2012 @ 5:39 pm

13. I came across your videos when I first started knitting about a year and a half ago. I’m also a self-taught knitter and I love it. I had to take 6 months off because I dislocated my shoulder last Halloween, but now I’m back and have almost completed my first Christmas stocking! I decided to start early this year just in case. I’ve looked at a lot of videos on youtube.com but I always come back to yours because your instructions are so clear and easy to follow. So far, in the past year, I’ve knitted some washcloths, a scarf, 3 hats, a headband, and the Christmas stocking. I’m also halfway through a sweater. I recommend your website and instructional videos to anyone I run across who wants to learn how to knit.

Comment by Cindy — June 24, 2012 @ 5:45 pm

14. Thanks so much Staci you really made it easy to understand sock knitting. Your lessons are broken down into easy to manage steps and you make it fun as well!! I’m now on my first pair of socks with actual sock yarn and needles!!

Comment by Missy — July 7, 2012 @ 1:17 pm

15. I was at Hobby Lobby today and another lady and I were talking and she mentioned how she had tried and tried to learn how to make socks and I agreed with her. I told her I finally learned how on this great youtube site with verypink.com. She laughed and said me too. We actually high fived about it. lol We went on to talk about how much we each enjoy all you offer and what quality it all is. So, a big thank you from both of us. :)

Comment by Kathy — July 11, 2012 @ 2:06 pm

16. i really want to try knitting socks, but i prefer to only think about one new technique at a time and im fairly comfortable on dpns.
    what do you recommend for a first sock tutorial?
    should it be toe up or cuff down?
    thanks

Comment by susan — July 12, 2012 @ 6:53 pm

17. I tried to do this but I failed. For me, the directions are kinda confusing cause i’m pretty young. Can you help me somehow?

Comment by Olivia — July 13, 2012 @ 6:25 pm

I’ve been wanting to learn to knot socks for a long time, but didn’t find anything that made me feel confident enough to start until this pattern and video, so thank you so much for making these. Your videos, especially, are so clear and helpful. But, I do have a problem with my sock project. It is labelled as a one-size sock, but it is way to small for both me and my daughter, which means no one will be able to use this once I’m done. The cuff just barley fits around my ankle stretched as far as it will go. I tried doing it again on bigger needles, but it didn’t make enough of a difference. I really need to just start with more stitches, I’m thinking an extra 4 on each needle for a total of 52 instead of 40. But then I don’t know what I’m doing well enough to adjust the numbers as I go through the heel section. Could you give adjusted numbers for the heel to make a bigger sock?
    Thanks.
    Lori

Comment by Lori — July 15, 2012 @ 9:45 pm

19. I just have to say Thank You. I purchased your sock pattern and watched your videos all they way through prior to begining. I am a visual learner, so the videos are perfect. Very professional, clear and precise. I am just finishing up my second sock (firt pair). I could not quit smiling when I finished the first sock. I knitted a sock. Happiness. (-: Thank you so much for your videos.

Comment by KellysSewing — July 18, 2012 @ 7:31 pm

20. Thanks to you, I KNITTED A SOCK!

Comment by MaryJo — July 20, 2012 @ 5:43 pm

21. When I’ve picked up the stitches, I noticed that by the time I’ve knit a fair bit into the sock I have a hole. It is located at the junction of the gusset, instep and the top of the heel flap. Can you make a video showing how to fix this common problem?

Thanks

Comment by Nancy L — July 24, 2012 @ 7:42 pm

I am an experienced hand and machine knitter, but had never knitted a sock in my life – or used DPN’s. I tried to follow a baby sockee pattern, but stalled at the picking up for the gusset. Your video is so easy to understand and you have a brilliant teaching manner! Thanks I will now revisit those pesky little sockee’s to finish them!!

Karen

Comment by Karen — July 25, 2012 @ 9:39 am

23. I learned to knit socks with perfect heels (I think…) watching your classes. I still have finished just one pair, but I will knit various from now. Thank you Staci.

Comment by Josana — July 29, 2012 @ 10:03 pm

24. Staci, thank you, thank you for making me feel like a “real” knitter! I felt that if I could learn to knit a sock, that act would qualify me! I am moving on to my first pair to wear, beginning today. Over the weekend, I knit that first sock…we have four young children, I was at the computer, needles clacking, while redirecting children to dad if they needed anything..it went great..knit the sock over two days, including some ripping out and dishes, laundry, diapers…thanks again, feeling very confident!!!

Comment by Traci Mueller — August 8, 2012 @ 6:44 am

25. i am a 10 year old who knows how to knit(crazy right)and i thought these look easy thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by xfhhgfghs — August 20, 2012 @ 11:52 am

26. Hi,

Just finished knitting my very own sock……ready to star the other pair…..your videos are just the BEST! Greetings from Australia

Comment by Silvia Bell — August 21, 2012 @ 6:12 am

27. You have made finishing the toe look so much easier, I have a problem that I’m left handed, taught right handed knitting but sew left handed! I have started toe up socks as I have quite a problem with the sewing up but with luck your method could be the answer. From very a wet UK, Juls

Comment by Juls Roberts — August 25, 2012 @ 3:05 am

28. Hello Staci!

I just wanted to thank you for ALL of your tutorials! I taught myself how to knit through YouTube videos (I’ve been knitting for a little over nine months) and I picked it up easily but once in a while I needed some extra help and I have found your instruction to be the most beneficial. Thank you for making DPNs, socks and more advanced projects a breeze! :)

Comment by Kristin — August 27, 2012 @ 12:25 am

Stumbled onto your videos and web site through YouTube. I am a self taught knitter and have been knitting on and off for 50 years. I have never been able to make socks because of the dpn factor. I tried it once and felt like I had 10 thumbs. Then I found your very clear instructional video on knitting socks with the magic loop method. I am proud to say I am now on my second pair of socks and loving it. Thanks for the wonderfully well thought out patterns and coordinating videos.

Comment by Penny Rongo — August 29, 2012 @ 7:25 am

30. Hi,
    Staci help I can’t get past the letter “H” when I start knitting every thing get all tangled up and I can’t go any further I totaly under stand the pattern but the begining is awful for me.
    What can I do it sounds like every one can knit it but me.

SS.

Comment by Sally — August 31, 2012 @ 3:11 pm

31. Sally – two things that may help you.

First, you might try watching this video. It’s a short technique video dedicated to getting started on DPNs. Maybe there will be something in here that will trigger success for you!

Next, you need to try not to get frustrated, and keep practicing. If you find yourself getting frustrated, put the knitting down for a while. Knitting is supposed to be fun! :)

Comment by s t a c i — August 31, 2012 @ 3:23 pm

Loved knitting your Fair Isle hat. Thank you.

Do you have a basic top down, kitchener toe sock pattern which requires
    at least a size 4 US (3.5mm) needle. I have spent hours looking for one and
    cannot find it.

(I want to knit with On-line Supersocke 6 ply yarn which calls for size 3.5 mm needle.
    This is a German company and they do not provide the sock pattern pictured on
    yarn.)

Tina

Comment by Tina Reising — September 5, 2012 @ 11:26 am

I just want to thank you for the marvellous tutorials you do. I had started with a free sock pattern and went to every knitting shop around where generous knitters told me what to do. But I found you and now I can really knit confidently. It is your superb teaching abilities and the wonderful way you chunk everything in to bite sized stages. The professionalism of the videos is a part if it; nicely staged with a pretty garment in the frame and the inset of you knitting alongside the close up. That is where is all other videos fall short. If someone is shown hands only (not as well manicured as yours) and poorly lit, it just isn’t the same. Also you are neither too wordy nor too brief. My mother never explained the little basics, like the correctly mounted stitch and S as if to P. Being French, her style was different too. If I ever visit the US I will come to TX just for a workshop. Thank you for your generous help and give the pooches a big hug too,

Kit

Comment by Kit — September 6, 2012 @ 8:24 am

34. Hi there, thnx alot guyz your videos are very much clear and easy to follow, right now am busy with my first sock!

Comment by Ndati — September 26, 2012 @ 3:01 am

I followed the pattern for this sock, and I think I did a pretty good job!The videos were a great help!
    I’m now wearing my socks but they don’t fit very good, they fall off my ankle. DId I knit too loose? Or can I do something to make it more tight? Does it help if I cast on less stitches and make a smaller sock?

Even so, I’m very proud of my first pare of socks!

Thanks!

Lara

Comment by Lara — October 10, 2012 @ 4:59 am

36. Hi Lara – if you knit the socks and they’re a bit big, you probably need to use a smaller needle size for a better fit.

Comment by s t a c i — October 10, 2012 @ 8:10 am

37. I would assume that each sock comes out slightly different??
    So would it be wise, for a beginner/intermediate, to do the double knit sock? ( 2 socks at a time on 2 circular needles?

Comment by Jessica — October 23, 2012 @ 9:25 am

38. Dear Staci,
    I am knitting a Christmas stocking for my son. I am at the heel and I have done it several times already but the directions do not match. Could you help me please?
    The web address is
    When I did the fisherman’s pattern was a problem too but at the end I figured it out. With the heel I just cant. I am not a professional knitted so you can imagine I am desperate.
    Paula

Comment by Paula — October 26, 2012 @ 12:05 am

39. thank you very much I’am realy happy that I know how to knit socks for my children merci beaucoup beaucoup

Comment by zineb — October 30, 2012 @ 3:34 pm

40. Part 4 gusset video is missing. I need this to continue sock

Comment by Yvonne — November 11, 2012 @ 7:40 pm

41. Hi Yvonne – sorry you’re having trouble. The video is there and working fine…you may want to try watching it directly on YouTube here: http://youtu.be/S3LVbaiqTAw

Comment by s t a c i — November 11, 2012 @ 7:49 pm

42. Hi was looking for the location to purchase your sock patterns. I was very impressed at how easy you made the majic loop look on the tuturial on utube. would like to purchase a mans sock pattern to use with this method, I have knitted socks in several methods but you explain it so simplistic why use anything else. Thanks

Comment by Chris Blinkwolt — November 30, 2012 @ 5:40 pm

43. After taking 2 classes at local yarn shops and still not quite getting it enough to knit a sock on my own, I discovered your website, tutorials and patterns. I can now finally knit a sock, and understand what I’m doing, thanks to your very clear videos and pattern instructions.

THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!

Comment by Robin — December 17, 2012 @ 11:49 pm

44. First let me say that the tutorials were excellent and the pattern going along with them is very clear. I am not an experienced knitter and I am left handed. I am almost done with sock #1, looks pretty good I think, with a few mistakes. But I have an interesting phenomenon! I knit inside out!! Which means, when I am done I have to turn them inside out so that the nice smooth purl will be on the outside. Ever have that problem come up?

Comment by Penney — December 28, 2012 @ 12:08 pm

45. Hi Penny – yes, I have a video for that! Here you go:

Comment by s t a c i — December 28, 2012 @ 1:21 pm

46. Thanks so much for the easy to follow video on knitting socks….something a beginner like myself has been hesitant to ever try when just reading instructions…but now I think I am ready to begin while looking at your instructions as I knit. You are the greatest teacher for an old lady like me…just turned 70 , but always had a desire to follow in my grandmother’s footsteps, who knitted so many beautiful things and is probably praying for me from Heaven that I will succeed. Thanks again for a wonderful, inspiring website. NanaBJ

Comment by Barbara - NanaBJ — December 28, 2012 @ 4:30 pm

47. um on turning the heel,you said”work you way thruogh and just purl two or knit two on the biggest gap”am i supposed to knit or purl my way through?

Comment by yvone — December 30, 2012 @ 4:27 pm

Just finished my first sock. The pattern and the videos made it so easy! I can’t wait to do my second one. I allowed my self a learning curve, before I “really” start with sock yarn and small needles. Thanks for the support!!

Comment by carrie — January 8, 2013 @ 10:20 pm

I just finished my first pair of socks and I am still in awe that I could do it! I’m a new knitter and this was my first project that wasn’t a square washcloth or easy rectangle. Now I feel like I can do anything! Thanks for making sock knitting so approachable, even to newbies, and keep up the great work!

Comment by Donette — January 9, 2013 @ 8:48 am

50. Hello!!

I really like to make socks from the toe up (like you taught me on your video) because I use all the yarn, I love the short rows method, but I want to try this kind of heel too.

Is it possible to make a toe up sock with this kind of “difficult” heel?

I’ve read that it is possible, but I don’t see anyone doing it. is it because is more difficult? Could you make a video of a pattern with this kind of heel to make it going from the toe up?

Thank you!!

Comment by Virginia — January 17, 2013 @ 2:41 pm

51. Hi Virginia – yes, it is possible to do this kind of heel toe-up, but it isn’t really very straightforward (and most people will require a clear written pattern for it). I’m always looking for new ideas for patterns and tutorials – thank you!

Comment by s t a c i — January 17, 2013 @ 4:48 pm

52. THANK YOU,THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! Because of you, and this video, I have FINALLY finished my first sock! Your videos combined with how you explain how to do something, make it so easy to follow along and actually understand. I have tried SOOOOOO many other patterns, books, and videos and none even compare to your teaching talent! Moving on to my second sock!

Comment by Heather A — February 8, 2013 @ 9:21 pm

I can’t afford the pattern, but ill try to do without it. Thank you for putting up your videos. You taught me how to knit. I’ve been knitting since October and i love it. Again thank you for your videos. :) you are such a great help.

Comment by caitlyn — February 10, 2013 @ 9:18 am

54. Hi Caitlyn – thank you for the note. Really, I don’t recommend that you try to knit the socks with the videos alone, without the written pattern. The videos were made to accompany the written pattern, not to stand alone. The pattern contains information that is vital to knitting the socks. My concern is that your attempt will be unsuccessful, and not as easy as it would be with the pattern.

Comment by s t a c i — February 10, 2013 @ 11:06 am

55. Staci, I cannot tell you how excited I am with having completed the first sock I have ever knitted. You did an absolutely perfect job of describing and presenting each and every step so clearly that it would have been almost impossible to not succeed the first time. I did so and have finally completed what has always seemed impossible for me. This is a milestone for me, and I have you to thank for it. I will look for you always in the future on every site; and if you are not there, I will recommend you to everyone. Thanks so much!

Comment by Pat Searls — February 10, 2013 @ 11:29 am

56. You are soooo awesome…. I’ve been trying to understand the Kitchener stitch and it would come out ugly! I’ve finished my first sock.. I’m starting the other sock for the pair…
    I’m so happy, excited, pumped…woooohoooo!!!! Excellent! I am so grateful to you…
    You are a great teacher!!! THE BEST!!!
    Have a great day!! WOOHOO!!! ;-)
    Tracy

Comment by Tracy — February 16, 2013 @ 10:13 pm

57. Hi Staci

I live in Scandinavia and it is proving very difficult to find 3.75mm (US size 5) dpns. Would it be possible to knit the socks with either 3.5mm or 4mm dpns, which are much easier to source locally? And if so which size would be preferrable for the sock pattern?

It might be helpful for you to know that I generally knit to tension, so I do not knit too tightly or too loosely.

Thanks!

Renée

Comment by Renee Heinemann-Smith — February 27, 2013 @ 9:32 am

58. Hello, Renée – yes, you should do fine on either of those two sizes. That’s because the socks are very stretchy, so it isn’t essential that the gauge is precise.

Comment by s t a c i — February 27, 2013 @ 9:35 am

59. Your video lessons are exceptional.
    A general question about knitting in the round:
    When doing so, the knitting stitches spiral with every round. I knitted a cabled hat in the round and the cables lean like the tower of…
    Same happens with socks and when I am ready for the toe part the decision how to divide into top and bottom stitches depends on the length of the sock.
    I take my stitches off the needles and put them on something more flexible (scrap yarn) and flatten the sock with the heel on the table and decide about that division.
    Do you have another beter solution?

Comment by Imashel — February 27, 2013 @ 4:11 pm

60. Hi Staci!
    Thank goodness I found this…there was no way I was going to understand a sock pattern without this video. I have read most of the other letters and your comments and have decided to scrap the socks I was trying to make and get your pattern to do my first pair. After that I will tackle the other patterns!..Thanks so much!

Comment by Ann Liebscher — February 28, 2013 @ 7:15 pm

61. do u have a tutorial for toe up socks tow at the same time on one circular needle?

Comment by Rosa — March 1, 2013 @ 9:37 am

62. I love u so very much. I have learn so much from you and i have purchase serval of your patterns keep up your good work.

Comment by Rosa — March 1, 2013 @ 9:40 am

63. Hi
    Staci, can you post a tutorial on how to put a zipers on knitted garments (sweater or sweater jacket) for the life of me I can’t figure it out?

Thank You {..}

Comment by Sally — March 8, 2013 @ 6:20 am

64. Hi Sally – yes, I already have a couple of tutorials that demonstrate putting zippers in. Here is one, my Zippered Letterman’s Jacket. The zipper instruction starts at 35:08 -

Comment by s t a c i — March 8, 2013 @ 10:25 am

65. WOW,I just watched the tutorial and I love it I can’t weight to try it.

ss

Comment by Sally — March 8, 2013 @ 11:44 am

66. Great job !!

Comment by William pithers — March 13, 2013 @ 2:36 pm

67. Stacy: Last year I bought your Learn to Knit Socks pattern, and cannot locate it. Do you have a way to find that I paid for this last summer so I can download again. I am in Florida for the winter, and was at my North Carolina computer when I ordered it. Is there a link that I could redownload it? Thank you.

Comment by Laura Reist — March 19, 2013 @ 8:40 am

68. Have finished the first sock — your tutorials are excellent and so easy to follow along with you. My question is — what is the best way to start the next sock when the yarn you are using is a self striping? I would like to have the patterns match as best I can. Thank you for your help.

Comment by Peg — March 21, 2013 @ 12:38 pm

69. Peg – I never bother with this. Instead, I just make “fraternal twin” socks when I’m using self-striping yarn. The only thing you can do to get identical socks is to start each sock in the same part of the striping pattern. Kind of a pain in the neck, but there’s no other way around it if that’s what you want!

Comment by s t a c i — March 22, 2013 @ 12:47 pm

70. Thank you so much for making this awesome tutorial:)
    You’ve made my day. Finally I have started on my first knitted sock, and it turned out great!
    Have a nice day:)
    Greetings from Mirjam (the Netherlands)

Comment by Mirjam — March 25, 2013 @ 3:52 am

OMG! I love your tutorials I just finished my socks and I’m hooked on socks now . Thank you so much for doing this.

Janene Garey
    Springboro, Ohio

Comment by janene garey — April 5, 2013 @ 6:55 am

72. You are my go to Lady for any and all the jargon involved in my new found passion, knitting! My first pair of socks were quite frustrating until I found you! Your tutorials, visually and verbally, work for me. Thank you for your site, your interest in teaching & sharing your knowhow with us inexperienced knitters has been my sock saver!
    Loretta
    Thunder Bay,ON,Canada

Comment by Loretta — April 7, 2013 @ 10:43 am

These are the most wonderful tutorials, so clear and easy to follow.
    I am doing Magic loop socks toe up with conditional cast on and your FABULOUS – WONDERFUL heel turn that I use for the toe as well – have no name for it but I have never seen anything so easy and I’m hooked on socks now. Have made 3 pairs in two weeks – I just can’t say enough about your site……..
    Thank you, Thank you…….

Susan Siems
    Vancouver Island BC

Comment by Susan Siems — April 27, 2013 @ 8:43 pm

74. I just wanted to thank you so much for such wonderful clear instructions!
    I am 58 years old, and have tried (unsuccessfully!) to understand how to knit on double-pointed needles all my life! At last I understand! Thank you! It will be socks for everyone this Christmas!!

Comment by Janice Osborne — May 11, 2013 @ 1:21 am

75. I really like your lessons.I always want to learn knitting, now I can learn with you, thank you! By the way, are you australian?

Comment by Ana Lígia Pinto Ferreira — May 19, 2013 @ 5:56 pm

76. Ana – thank you for the note. :) I’m American.

Comment by s t a c i — May 19, 2013 @ 6:14 pm

77. Have you considered doing a video about knitting sock on 9″ needles. I would be very interested in this tutorial.

Thanks for all of your knitting expertise. I feel like a better knitter because of your comprehensive videos.

Tina

Comment by Tina — May 24, 2013 @ 1:14 pm

78. Staci…Thank you so much for this wonderful pattern and tutorial. Now that I have made a pair of PRACTICE sock with Worsted Weight, I would like to try making socks that I will actually wear with shoes. What kind of yarn and what size needles do you suggest? Do I follow the same instructions even with lighter weight yarn and smaller needles? If not, how do I obtain another pattern?

Comment by Dawn Hardie — May 27, 2013 @ 7:38 pm

79. Hi Dawn – I have information and links to other patterns (patterns that use tiny needles and sock yarn) on my Frequently Asked Questions page. Just scroll down to the header “Socks”. You’ll find it here: http://verypink.com/frequently-asked-questions/

Comment by s t a c i — May 27, 2013 @ 7:48 pm

80. Hi Staci!

Thank you so much for these really clear videos! I learnt how to knit roughly a year ago and had tried knitting socks but it was a dissaster!! The yarn was too thin and I really had trouble working through the stitches.. But your way is so much easier, I find myself really enjoying it! I just have a question. At the heel flap I noticed that the right part of my “v” border looking from the knitting side is looser than the left. Then when I turn the heel I end up with gaps from picking up stitches between the v’s. Is there something I’m doing wrong?

Comment by Athena — May 29, 2013 @ 2:19 pm

81. Hi Athena – thank you for the note. No, if you’re following the pattern, you are likely doing everything correctly. When you have complicated things going on in your knitting (like the heel of a sock), your tension can get wonky in places. It really takes practice, and blocking. This is one of the reasons I suggest that you always use wool or wool-blend yarn when you’re learning new techniques, because so many tension issues are whisked away with washing and blocking.

Getting perfect tension on complicated knitting takes practice (and blocking).

Comment by s t a c i — May 29, 2013 @ 3:06 pm

82. Hi Staci; I have always had trouble with “needle 1,2 or 3″??? Your pattern and video explained this very clearly. I sat and did the sock by myself (with your assistance of course) and felt liberated. Your instructions are great. Video great but the pattern I bought made it much easier!! Thanks!

Comment by Jean — June 15, 2013 @ 3:30 pm

83. Absolutely superb pattern and videos. :)I’ve been trying to learn to knit socks for two years and this was effortless! Thank You!

Comment by Gayle — August 12, 2013 @ 1:13 pm

84. Thank you Staci! I just knit my first pair of socks with your help, all the way in the Netherlands! Very helpfull that you put a list of metric needle sizes on your site.

Comment by Floortje — August 12, 2013 @ 11:26 pm

85. Hi Staci! I watched your videos and followed the instruction sheet and knitted out one sock. But how do i gauge the number of stitches if I want to knit the socks for a larger sized man’s foot?

Comment by Janet — August 18, 2013 @ 1:02 pm

86. Hi Staci from England. I am 63 years old and have been knitting for 51 years and thanks to you I have just knit my first sock and it fits my daughters foot as intended. So proud of myself. Now to knit the other one hopefully to match.

Comment by Joyce — August 19, 2013 @ 9:13 am

Can this sock pattern be worked on a Circular Needle, such as Magic Loop?
    Thank you again for all of your video’s and love of knitting, and sharing with the world ;-)

Tricia

Comment by Tricia — August 23, 2013 @ 3:20 pm

I am knitting your beginner sock pattern and it is great. could you please let me know what is the best way to join yarn in a sock
    Thanks, Sue

Comment by Sue Goldsmith — August 28, 2013 @ 6:20 pm

89. Sue – if you’re using a wool yarn, you can spit splice:

Otherwise, just start knitting with the new ball of yarn at the beginning of a row.

Comment by s t a c i — August 28, 2013 @ 8:42 pm

90. Staci, I found a discrepancy between the pattern and the video. I haven’t read all of the other comments so I don’t know if others might have already mentioned this or not.

In the written instructions, it says to place 12 stitches on needles one and two and 16 stitches on needle three.

Your video shows you putting 16 stitches on needle one and 12 stitches on needles two and three.

At first I tried following the written instructions and had problems. When I went back and followed what you did in the video I was fine.

I really love the sock pattern and just bought the toe up sock pattern using magic loop (a first time ever to use magic loop!) I watched the video for knitting two socks at once and got a bit overwhelmed. I’ll start with one at a time and probably end up buying the other one once I am comfortable using magic loop.

Comment by Charlotte Passinger Ehrhart — August 30, 2013 @ 9:21 am

91. Sorry to hear you were having trouble. The stitches are divided in that way so that the 2×2 rib always has you ending with two purl stitches at the end of each needle, and starting the next needle with two knit stitches. It doesn’t make any difference which needle is the one with 16 stitches…regardless of how you have the stitches arranged when you knit the cuff, you’ll rearrange them once you get to the section “Divide for Heel”.

I’m glad you got it worked out.

Comment by s t a c i — August 30, 2013 @ 10:29 am

92. Just finished watching the videos on sock knitting. I’m new at knitting but have knitted scarves, hats in the round, etc. This seems possible for me. I ordered the pattern and plan to attempt. Do I have the experience to complete this??? Thanks!

Comment by Bill — August 31, 2013 @ 8:57 am

I just got the instructions for knitting socks and I discovered it is sized for women. I was wondering if you have, by any chance, a male version or if you could instruct me how to convert the number of stitches so it will fit a grown up male foot.
    Maor

Comment by Maor — September 5, 2013 @ 7:22 am

94. Maor – yes, this pattern is designed for women’s shoe widths. I have other sock patterns that include men’s sizes, but this one is just for women’s foot widths.

To truly make this a man-sized sock, the pattern would need to be rewritten. But you can make it a bit larger by knitting in a looser gauge, with bigger needles. My suggestion – knit these socks as written, and then present them as a gift to a gal you know. :) They knit up very quickly, and once you learn the techniques involved, you can move on to other sock patterns that were written for men’s foot widths.

Comment by s t a c i — September 5, 2013 @ 7:58 am

95. I ordered this pattern a very long time ago, and cannot find the pattern Is it possible to get this pattern again without paying. Thanks for your help.

Comment by Patricia Durkee — September 25, 2013 @ 9:17 am

96. Hi Patricia – yes, I see you purchased the pattern a couple of years ago…I’ve sent you another copy via email.

Comment by s t a c i — September 25, 2013 @ 1:27 pm

97. Thank you so much

Comment by Patricia Durkee — September 26, 2013 @ 6:32 am

98. Please send me the address and price for the sock pattern in your video! It was just wonderful, you helped me understand sock making!

Comment by Mary Sue Dowell — September 29, 2013 @ 2:11 pm

99. Hello Staci,

I am very new to sock knitting and almost done with my first sock. I have purchased this pattern and I am anxious to take your class on this sock. Can I use a # 2 needle with this pattern, using # 1 weight yarn? I am trying to learn the needle sizes with yarns and sizes.
    I want to say also, along with all the other’s, that your teaching style is very comfortable and you care about those wanting to learn. I also would like to say “Thank You.”

Tricia

Comment by Tricia — September 29, 2013 @ 2:57 pm

100. Tricia – thank you for the nice note! You can’t use this pattern with smaller yarn and needles – unless you’re after a really tiny sock. But if you check out my Frequently Asked Questions page, under the header “Socks”, you’ll see links to free patterns that use the same techniques you learned in this tutorial, but using smaller yarn and needles.

Comment by s t a c i — September 29, 2013 @ 5:28 pm

101. Thank you Staci ;-)

Comment by Tricia — September 29, 2013 @ 8:14 pm

102. Dear Staci,

Your tutorials are filled with clarity and enthusiasm that is contagious! :)

I am wearing the socks I knitted for myself and am now knitting for friends. Love it!

One question. I notice it less with Cascade 220 superwash yarn, but with classic wool it is more visible:
    the stitches that are at the beginning and end of double pointed needles, in the knitted fabric show up as a loosely knitted vertical line. I do give these stitches a tug when I knit them, but wondering what your comment is on it. Overall, the socks look great. I also assume that with magic loop method, as the stitches will be on the cord, it will be easier to avoid this.

Thank you for your great work and contribution to women’s happiness and well-being (and that means, everyone else’s too…)! :)

Elvi (VA)

Comment by Elvi — October 5, 2013 @ 2:18 pm

103. Elvi – this video, called “Avoiding Ladders”, should help:

Thank you for the note!

Comment by s t a c i — October 5, 2013 @ 2:53 pm

104. I really want to knit this sock but I don’t want to buy it. Is there a free pdf for making a sock?

Comment by maya — October 6, 2013 @ 8:10 pm

105. Muito obrigada pelos seus vídeos, graças a eles fiz umas meias muito bonitas.
    Sou de Portugal.

Madalena Nunes

Comment by Madalena Nunes — October 9, 2013 @ 8:20 am

106. Thank you for such great videos. You are a great teacher. Thank you!!

Comment by Stephanie Horton — October 22, 2013 @ 8:11 pm

107. Thank you so much for your great videos. I finished my first sock, thanks to you.

Comment by nic — October 28, 2013 @ 7:59 am

108. Staci, I love all of your videos and have learned so much from you that I believe I am a better knitter.
    I was wondering if you have considered having a lesson on knitting socks on 9″ or 12″ circular needles?

Comment by Tina — October 29, 2013 @ 2:30 pm

I purchased the sock pattern and now I can’t find it. I said yes when it asked if I wanted to store it. Help!

Comment by Kathleen — October 31, 2013 @ 6:08 pm

My friends birthday is coming up and she had a pair of socks that your grandma or great grandma mad her. And they are falling apart. I wanted to make her a new pair but she has bigger feet due to a foot problem she had when she was younger. Is there away to make this pattern for people with bigger feet and what size(s) does this sock normally fit for? I think she might be a size 10 to 10 1/2.

Comment by Clara — November 5, 2013 @ 10:47 am

111. Hi Clara – this pattern fits any shoe size, all you have to do is knit the foot part longer to match the wearer’s foot length. You can find a chart online that will tell you how many inches long the different shoe sizes are, which makes it easy. So foot length is no problem. The only way this pattern may be too small is if the person has an especially wide foot.

Comment by s t a c i — November 5, 2013 @ 10:55 am

112. Hi Staci: I haven’t done any sock knitting for awhile and had a basic question about ribbing on DPNs. Is there any way I can learn to knit faster? I currently use the “throw the yarn” method and this gets very slow when ribbing. Where can I find a video to improve the speed of my knitting? Thanks.

Comment by Lucy — November 16, 2013 @ 10:55 am

113. I don’t have a video on that, Lucy, but I’ve found that practicing the way you naturally knit (throwing, in your case) will help you build up speed over time. If you’re interested in trying something different, you might try “flicking”, which is very close to throwing, and much faster. It is the way I knit:

Comment by s t a c i — November 16, 2013 @ 6:00 pm

114. Hello Staci,

I hope you can help me. My mind is drawing a blank for the proper word term for help. To explain i knit my socks toe up i finished a pair useing a 100g hank so i made this pair one at a time instead of dividing the hank. Long story short i did not realize till I had the second sock complete that i made my first sock in the foot section 4” instead of the normal 5” for my husband. I do not mind ripping out but this is to extreme even for me. I tried to buy another skein in the same dye lot but I was sent a different lot and this hank is noticeable lighter.
    Here is what I don’t know the proper terminology to look up but I was thinking of running a life lines around the sock skipping a row in between and clipping the row to add on my additional inch and Kitchener stitch it back together. Does this sound like the route i should take? I just can’t rip a 3” cuff, 5” leg, and 3” gusset/heel flap out to get back to my foot section. If explained this clearly I would like a link to read and see if possible a video on how to do this correctly. Hoping for advice and help.

Marilyn Wiley

Comment by Marilyn Wiley — November 20, 2013 @ 11:27 pm

115. Hi Marilyn – I think I understand what you’re thinking of doing. I don’t think it’s a good idea…you’ll unravel a row in order to add an inch to the foot of the sock. When you do that, you’ll have live stitches on one side only that you can easily pick up. The other side won’t be live stitches – and won’t be easily available for kitchener stitch. I think the most practical thing is to rip back and reknit the foot of the sock in the correct size.

If you ever run into a ball of yarn that is a different dye lot that the one you’ve been using, you can always use both skeins at the same time, alternating “colors” each row. That is usually enough to hide a slightly different dye lot.

Comment by s t a c i — November 21, 2013 @ 8:01 am

116. hi Stacy,
    just wondering if the pattern for the socks are on paper or to download as PDF.
    And thanks. So far, i’ve manage to knit the cuff and the heel flap. x

Comment by agnes clack — November 25, 2013 @ 8:44 am

117. Agnes – the patterns I sell are downloadable PDFs that can be printed by the buyer. I also sell some patterns as eBooks, which are not printable.

Comment by s t a c i — November 25, 2013 @ 8:49 am

118. I’m a cancer survivor and one of my bucket list items is to make a pair of socks. AS SOON as I finishe a scarf I’m making for my cousin I will be using your pattern and video to knock that item off my list. Thanks so much for your help in making a knitter’s life easier.

Comment by Ingrid — December 6, 2013 @ 10:43 am

119. OMG! OMG! I am knitting in the roud=nd with DPN!!!!!! Just bought the pattern and watched video 1. I have tried other videos and had no success at all. Thank you so much for such a simple tutorial. I cannot wait to finish my socks!

Comment by Madeline — December 28, 2013 @ 10:20 am

120. excellent videos and the girl is wonderful.

Comment by barbara snow — January 18, 2014 @ 11:47 am

121. Hi Stacy, I have a basket full of toe up socks that stop at the ‘turn the heel area’ due to many, many unsuccessful attempts to learn how to work this area out using books, videos, classes, etc. I decided this is the year to attempt to tackle finishing them, and after having them put away for almost 2 years, your videos are helping me make sense of the process and be able to see it in my brain. After several frogs and tinks I am now nearly done with the first one. One thing that would have been helpful for me is in the knitting the heel area. It took three times of working it much too long to finally hear you when say it is a two row step. I was counting the two as one. If you mentioned in the pattern to count 10 V’s or ‘eyes’, or maybe when you share the heel will be 21 rows long, mention that will count out as 10 V’s. I knitted it several times, counted 21 V’s and couldn’t figure out why mine was so much longer than yours in the video and didn’t count out correctly when working the gusset. Now I am nearing the toe on a very snowy day here in New York, perfect for getting to learn this. Along with everyone, I thank you for your teaching method that allows me to finally conquer knitting areas that before I only felt helpless around. B

Comment by Becca — February 5, 2014 @ 1:08 pm

122. Hi Staci, I am happy that I just found you. You’re doing an excellent job.
    I am wondering if this pattern can be done on the addi clicks? Also once past the Gusset do u start knitting in the round till you get the desired length? J.

Comment by BJ — February 7, 2014 @ 7:29 pm

123. BJ – if you are comfortable using the magic loop method, really any pattern that uses double-pointed needles can be knit that way. Otherwise, I do have a few magic loop sock tutorials. Here is the list of my sock tutorials:

Comment by s t a c i — February 7, 2014 @ 7:38 pm

124. Staci, How long are your double pointed needles for these patterns? bj

Comment by BJ — February 8, 2014 @ 3:03 am

125. like to use DPNs that are at least 7″ in length.

Comment by s t a c i — February 8, 2014 @ 7:53 am

126. Stacy

First of all A Very Big Thank you for posting such wonderful videos. They are so doable and the way you explain any beginners can master it . You are the best teacher , I must say. I tried socks with your technique and watched your video where ever I fell short, and they came out very well. I really wish these Tutorial videos remain for ever. There will always be new beginners like me. I really wish there was some tutorial video for making socks on two Needles.

Once again It is simply a marvelous job offering these video tutorials.

Comment by Ashoo Mishra — February 28, 2014 @ 1:52 am

127. Thank you so much for teaching me how to knit. I enjoy knitting so very much.

Comment by Gale Gibbons — April 15, 2014 @ 5:52 pm

128. I’m ready to tackle socks next; as an intermediate knitter, would you recommend these or the toe-up ones? Are there benefits to one over the other? Which way is more common?

Comment by Sam — April 21, 2014 @ 7:44 pm

129. Hi Sam – if you’re an intermediate knitter, you can really start anywhere. I normally recommend my basic Learn to Knit Socks pattern for beginners, then moving on to Toe-Up, then Magic Loop Toe-Up. I personally prefer toe-up socks, because you can use all of your yarn with no leftovers. But it might be worth it to you to give both cuff-down and toe-up a try, to see what you prefer.

Comment by s t a c i — April 21, 2014 @ 9:08 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.