February 15th, 2012

Log Cabin Scrap Blanket

When I describe myself as a knitter, I always use the word “stashless”. This is true – I never, ever buy yarn unless I plan to cast-on with it right away, knowing exactly what I’m going to make. I have ZERO stash.

That doesn’t mean that I don’t have a “yarn closet” full of yarn. Oh, boy. I have little bits of leftover yarns from decades of projects. I’m able to use up some of these leftovers in the sample bits I knit up for demonstration in the videos, but I love it when I can sink my teeth into a great use of leftover yarns.

So here we have the Log Cabin Scrap Blanket. Log Cabin is a traditional quilting technique that has been adapted over the years into both knitting and crochet. This one is knit.

This pattern is a FREE RAVELRY DOWNLOAD, and includes links to a six-part video tutorial. The video is also at the bottom of this post.

Size: approx 47” by 63”
Needles: size 7 US (4.5mm), circulars or straights
Yarn: Use up your leftover worsted yarn bits! For best results, stick with one fiber type for the whole blanket. Either animal (wool, alpaca, angora, etc.); cellulose (cotton, linen, bamboo, etc.); or acrylic. If you choose to pick a border color as I did (in black), you’ll need an additional 1100 yards of yarn for the size I indicate above.
Additional Materials: tapestry needle for weaving in ends and seaming, and clippie markers are always helpful
Gauge: 5 stitches per inch in garter stitch

Frequently Asked Questions on this pattern can be found here.

Be sure to check out my other video tutorials.

198 Comments

1. My goodness but that is beautiful. I’ve made dozens of log cabin quilts but never imagined a knitted log cabin would be so successful. Good for you!

Comment by lizziejohns — February 15, 2012 @ 9:52 am

2. I remember asking you that question years ago – I couldn’t understand how you couldn’t have one semi-used skein of yarn around the house with all that knitting! Still you are a rare breed to be able to do that! And as always Staci, your knitting is incredible. You colour choices are perfect too. What a beautiful, beautiful piece! Thanks for inspiring us as always.

Comment by Denise — February 15, 2012 @ 10:03 am

3. Hello Staci,
    this is absolutely gorgeous! Ive been a knitter for over 40 years now and I’m still able to learn from other knitters all over the world.
    In my living room I keep an ufo-patchwork-blanket which I startet in the 80’s. It’s a double-layerversion and nearing completion.
    Immediatetely after downloading Your pattern I sent the link to Your page to my two young colleages who started knitting only one year ago. They both plan to knit blankets as they experienced the need for such a thing when we had our recent clubmeeting and the central heating didn`t work properly due to technical failure. They enjoyd the cosyness of my Xtralarge handknitted blanket and a lovely cup of tea.
    Please go on with that work of Your’s FOREVER!
    Renate from Germany

Comment by Renate — February 15, 2012 @ 10:55 am

4. It’s so, so lovely! I’ll be hoarding my worsted scraps for some time to come!

Comment by Steven — February 15, 2012 @ 11:06 am

5. I’m so happy circle to see this one! Thank you so much, Staci! I can’t wait to start this one.

Comment by Amy — February 15, 2012 @ 11:34 am

6. I apologize for the mess up in my previous post. I am working and was talking on the phone and I typed what I was saying (circle). ROTFL

Comment by Amy — February 15, 2012 @ 11:37 am

7. This is soooooo beautiful ! I have never seen such great work. Perfect color combo and perfection in art.
    Wow . I wish you would be here inAtlanta so I could come to your classes and learn from the knitting super star.

Comment by Austrianlady — February 15, 2012 @ 12:02 pm

8. Hi staci, lovly work as usual. I want to start my own blanket but just have one question. I have many oddments of yarn but all different types, DK, chunky and Aran. Would the principle of the blanket still work but just create more texture? I know it should all be the same type of yarn but I want to use up my oddment draw haha x

Comment by Jay — February 15, 2012 @ 12:12 pm

9. Jay – you can use different weights of yarn for this blanket, but likely your results will be very different from mine. Unless you check gauge for each weight and adjust your needle size, your gauge will be off, and your blocks won’t really be square.

My advice – use up the worsted leftovers you have now, and just take your time with this blanket. You’ll create more worsted leftovers as time goes by, and you can use those!

Comment by s t a c i — February 15, 2012 @ 12:16 pm

10. Staci, Beautiful work as usual..
    What is the size of the individual squares?

Comment by Michelle — February 15, 2012 @ 12:54 pm

11. I LOVE the idea of making this blanket over the years… using up scraps as you accumulate them. What a cool way to remember projects. And what generosity to offer the pattern AND videos…all for free! Thanks!!

Comment by amy h — February 15, 2012 @ 1:09 pm

12. What size are the finish blocks?

Comment by Grace Mae — February 15, 2012 @ 2:11 pm

13. Hi staci,
    What an amazing piece of work. Very new to knitting and l just finished my first scarf, so pleased with myself. My goodness me your work is just out of this world. The colour combination is so beautiful. I so want to try and have a go to knit this cabin blanket hopefully with your step by step tutorial l will get it !!! We need a few Staci’s here in the uk…..)))
    Thank you for sharing your beautiful talent to many and it’s all for free!

Mel

Comment by Melanie Blair — February 15, 2012 @ 2:28 pm

14. The finished blocks are 13″ square. That is before the borders are knit. If you include the borders, they vary a bit in size based on where they’re placed in the finished blanket.

Comment by s t a c i — February 15, 2012 @ 2:29 pm

15. Where are the pink strips?!

Comment by Janet — February 15, 2012 @ 3:15 pm

16. (Oops! My comment posted before I was finished)

I love the concept of this blanket and I’m sure that I have enough remnants of worsted weight wool (I never throw any of it away) to get a serious start on this someday. I already downloaded the pattern. Thanks for another great pattern

Comment by Janet — February 15, 2012 @ 3:17 pm

17. You’re so generous with your patterns and videos – thanks, Staci.

Comment by Pammie — February 15, 2012 @ 3:18 pm

18. No stash? Incredible! Thanks for the pattern to this heirloom of a blanket.

Comment by Evelyn — February 15, 2012 @ 5:33 pm

19. What a beautiful blanket. I just wanted to let you know that you are the best knitting teacher ever. Thank you so much for all the knitting wisdom you provide to your students on the web.

Comment by Vicki — February 16, 2012 @ 11:48 am

20. Love this, Staci! Thanks so much for taking the time to share this free of charge. I know exactly which bin to start my plan of attack for this project. And I plan to make this for my adult son and his fiance – Yeah!!
    Warm regards from Denver!

Comment by Brigette — February 16, 2012 @ 4:17 pm

21. Thank you so much Staci for such a lovely pattern. It is a perfect project for me to take into hospital whilst recovering from my next operation x

Comment by Rachel Knight — February 17, 2012 @ 12:23 pm

22. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing the pattern.
    I’m not sure I have enough worsted for a whole blanket, but
    I’m gonna make a pillow for sure.

Comment by Toni — February 17, 2012 @ 6:55 pm

23. I want to make one!!!
    We have a lot of waste yarn.

Comment by Rachel Viosca — February 18, 2012 @ 1:51 pm

24. I watched this tutorial with my 9 year old daughter. We’re working on teaching her to knit. She sat next to me, enthralled with you, and went so far as to draw a picture of you doing your tutorial video, complete with the coffee cup (that is identical to some we have), and the quote “Weaving ends is fun”. Anne makes an appearance in her rendering as well.
    I am impressed with this project, and was thinking that I could potentially do this with the all same variegated yarn for a blanket project I’ve had in mind for someone for a while now. I’ve been toying with ideas but have to finish this other big blanket project I started last year before I start another.
    Thanks again for another inspiring tutorial.

Comment by Feisty Irish Wench — February 20, 2012 @ 12:13 pm

25. thank you so much…!!may God bless you

Comment by abi — February 24, 2012 @ 12:15 pm

I came across this on Ravelry the other day, and just had to start a block right away. I do lots of charity knitting, and have bags (and bags) of leftover yarn just taking up space in my yarn closet. The quilt blocks will be perfect to knit individually to donate as cage mats for my local animal shelter. The quilt blocks are a lot more interesting than just knitting up a plain square or rectangle, which is what I was planning to do. Thanks so much for posting the pattern and inspiring me. Even as an intermediate knitter, I love watching your videos to learn something new.

Comment by Karen — February 25, 2012 @ 1:06 pm

27. Staci – I love your tutorials. I especially love how inclusive and accessible you make knitting seem; as the one and only knitter in my circle, youtube has been invaluable in teaching me skills, and your tutorials, which are so clear and well explained have helped me progress in my skills.
    This is a brilliant project I can’t wait to start – my only question is, as I am Australian and I haven’t seen this term (we use ply number instead I think), what is the general definition of worsted wool? I have found many differing definitions and am slightly confused as to the meaning.
    Again, pure novice so please excuse the noob question. Thanks.

Comment by Olaf — February 27, 2012 @ 8:04 pm

28. do you have a pattern that is all in one . I don’t really want to sew them together. I have seen some but they are to modern. lol lol.

Comment by joan sickles — February 28, 2012 @ 2:23 pm

29. Hi Joan – you can just make one huge log cabin block by continuing past the 8 strips I demonstrate. That would be the only way to get a similar effect without seaming.

Comment by s t a c i — February 28, 2012 @ 2:25 pm

30. I’m making a log cabin dish towel using cotton scraps left over from making the dishcloths in your other tutorial. It’s coming out so cute, I’m going to continue making more! With Sugar N Cream left overs on size 7 needles, I started out with a 10 stitches by 10 ridges square and followed the same pattern. Adorable! I’m going to either finish around the raw edges with single chain crochet or maybe knit an icord border. Anyone have any other ideas?

Comment by Miss Coleycole — February 28, 2012 @ 8:17 pm

31. Staci! I love you’r patterns. I live in Brazil, now is very hot in here…we are in summer. But I love knits and I knit in summer too! Kisses for you. I like, I love you’r site. Bye!!!

Comment by soila — February 29, 2012 @ 4:55 pm

32. How did u make to colors ‘cooperate’ in the blanket? I’m afraid my blanket isn’t going to come out so pretty . Is there a way to make it where to colors don’t clash so much?

Comment by Lucas — March 4, 2012 @ 4:29 pm

33. Hi Lucas – I’m not sure what to tell you here! I just used the leftovers that I had, and I was careful to keep from putting super-clashy colors next to each other (no reds next to oranges, etc.). My first thought is that you might be thinking it’s worse than it is. Take a look here on Ravelry at some of the projects that are coming together for this pattern. No one is “matching”, but they’re all looking really cool!

Comment by s t a c i — March 4, 2012 @ 5:28 pm

34. Staci, when you are knitting the log cabin blanket, is it alright to weave in ends as you go?

Comment by Tina — March 5, 2012 @ 2:45 pm

Thank you so very much for sharing your love and knowledge of knitting. I discovered your Log Cabin Scrap Blanket and Entrelac videos yesterday and I have to say I’M HOOKED! I am online now looking for the Noro Silk Garden yarn recommended for the scarf and I promise to no longer have a yarn stash. Thanks again and I will be shopping your website in the future.

Mae

Comment by Mae — May 26, 2012 @ 8:13 pm

36. I love the Log Cabin Quilt. I sell yarn by mail order so have a good supply to choose from. I find your videos the best by far. So easy to follow and understand. Thank you so much.

Comment by Di — May 31, 2012 @ 1:55 pm

37. I watched your video and was fascinated. I love to try various knitting techniques. I have a huge stash of leftovers of all colours. I’ve just started a Log Cabin Quilt in acrylic DK yarn. Although wool and wool mixtures are popular now I like good quality acrylics, especially for things that have to be laundered frequently. This first Log Cabin Quilt will probably be a small one and a blanket for one of my pets, hence the frequent laundering. Next time I’ll be more ambitious.

Comment by Di — June 8, 2012 @ 6:11 am

38. Found this through a friend on a thread. My teen daughter is having a blast working on this, and learning some new techniques as she goes. I’m teaching her how do pick up the stitches, and she’ll be a pro by time she hits her second block! What a fun summer project! Thanks so much for putting this up! =)

Comment by Kristen — June 19, 2012 @ 10:02 pm

39. Staci, your tutorials are THE BEST ever!!!!! I’m going to start the Log Cabin, and instead of making blocks, think I will just keep turning and knitting and see how it does. It won’t be as beautiful as yours with the black borders making a kind of stained glass look, but hope my colors will make it pretty in a different way!
    Thank you soooooooo much! You are an exceptional teacher.
    Hugs,
    Sara

Comment by Sara Lemon — June 23, 2012 @ 10:05 am

40. I love your tutorials!!!

Comment by Sonya Federman — June 24, 2012 @ 12:08 am

41. I love, love, love your tutorials

Comment by Sonya Federman — June 24, 2012 @ 12:09 am

42. ?ahane bir model, te?ekkürler ve sevgiler.

Comment by canan özden — June 27, 2012 @ 10:01 am

43. Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful afghan.

Comment by Eva — July 1, 2012 @ 11:13 pm

44. I love this quilt . I have just learn to knit just a few months ago. I just to quilt with fabric . Now I can put both together. Thank you for showing us this quilt . thank you for the step by step instructions. I have learn alot from this . You have answer lot of question for me.

Comment by Linda Stear — July 2, 2012 @ 6:22 pm

45. I am enjoying knitting this lovely quilt.thank you so much for giving and sharing. I feel privileged to have found you!

Comment by Marylin Parkin — August 1, 2012 @ 3:19 am

46. Hi Staci, I really love this knitted quilt . I am a fairly new knitter about 2 yrs. I just finished my first block I am so proud I coul d almost wear it ha! I did have some trouble picking up stitches but finally after watching you a million times my stitches look professional! My only problem is weaving and seaming, but I will refer back to your video. One question , do I block my squares every time after I have finished them? Thanks a bunch . You are a wonderful teacher.
    Debbie Miller

Comment by Debbie Miller — August 1, 2012 @ 12:09 pm

47. Good job, Debbie! You will find answers to many questions about this blanket (including your blocking question) on my Log Blanket FAQ page here: http://verypink.com/2012/06/10/log-cabin-blanket-faq/

Comment by s t a c i — August 1, 2012 @ 12:18 pm

48. HOLA STACY GRACIAS POR COMPARTIR ESTE MARAVILLOSO VIDEO DE LA COBIJA. TU PAGINA ES MI FAVORITA, ESTOY POR TERMINARLA Y ME ENCANTA. SORRY IM NO SPEAK ENGLISH.

Comment by Carmen — August 3, 2012 @ 9:48 pm

49. Thank you so much for this tutorial. Not only is this an awesome pattern but I have always had a problem with picking up stitches and this is THE BEST tutorial explaining how to accomplish it. Thank you again.

Comment by Haley Rhine — August 14, 2012 @ 9:41 pm

50. Hi Staci!

I am knitting my very first block of this pattern, I am using worsted wool leftovers or skeins I never made use of. I just notice that one of them is a wool/acrylic blend. The weight seems the same, but do you think the blend will have an adverse affect? Maybe with washing? I would hate to yank it all out now.
    Thanks for any input.

Donna

Comment by Donna — August 26, 2012 @ 9:39 am

51. Hi Donna – I can’t say for sure, because different wool blends have different amounts of wool, and behave differently. But my guess is that you will be fine.

Hope that helps –

Comment by s t a c i — August 26, 2012 @ 9:47 am

I’m new to knitting but wanted to make this blanket for my husband and myself for Christmas, none the less, while making my squares a couple of them began to bubble up in the middle. I steamed them like the video says but its not working. I’m not sure what to do and I’ve already put so much work into making it. PLEASE HELP!!! Thank you so much in advance.

Comment by KimmySade — August 28, 2012 @ 6:20 pm

53. Hi Kimmie – without seeing your work, it’s impossible for me to know exactly what is going wrong, but here are some ideas:

Is it just one yarn that is bubbling? Maybe that yarn has a different fiber, and won’t work well with the other yarns for this blanket.

Is it possible that your cast-on and/or bind-off is tight on that strip? That would cause tension issues in the center.

Have you tried steaming the whole block out bigger? Maybe an inch or so? If the other strips can handle it, that might remove the bubbling from the troublesome strip.

Comment by s t a c i — August 28, 2012 @ 7:44 pm

54. I have 4 squares completed on my “half log cabin blanket”. I’ doing half so that I have a small lap blanket.

I have changed some of the things you have on your pattern. I think they save steps in knitting and make putting the whole thing together easier.

First – as I am making each block, i decided not to bind off the long rectangle blocks, but put them on waste yarn until it comes time to knit them, thus saving the step of binding off the sts.

Secondly – Then as I did the first stitch in each of the other pieces, I slipped the first stitch as if to purl, thus making an easier edge to seam or to pick up- this stitch later.

Thirdly – When putting the whole thing together, i am thinking that I may do all of the edging together at on time. I think this may be doable since i am only doing 6 blocks rather than 12. It may prove to be a lot of sts on one needle, but I use circular needles and may have to use two together when doing the width. I will post the results of how this works out. ( as you may guess, I am not fond of seaming together and I think this would be more satisfactory for me at least.

I have enjoyed doing the 4 blocks I have done, however I made a booboo on the last one and the center block is not in the same position as the rest, but i figure no one but me might notice it, would have taken it all out but it is not worth wasting all that knitting when it is just a matter of placement! ” As the old saying goes, a man on a horse riding by will not be able to see the difference!” Not making excuses but stating that I am not that perfect of an individual to go to the trouble to rip out all that work for the placement of two blocks! I just had a lightening thought, I could make the rest of the two blocks the same as the mistaken on and say I was trying a new pattern of putting the blocks together…. will let you know what I decide!

VTC

Comment by Virginia Chase — September 3, 2012 @ 1:46 pm

55. Good suggestions, Virgina…but I want to mention two thing to others who are reading this.

You mentioned that you are making your blanket smaller. With a bigger (and heavier) blanket, the bind-off rows and the seams provide necessary structure to the whole thing. Without them, there is a risk of the blanket being a lot of unstructured garter stitch. So the extra trouble of picking up stitches and seaming the blocks is an important part of the design.

Slipping the first stitch of each row does make picking up along the sides of the strips easier. Just be careful that your tension is loose enough so that the edges of the work aren’t puckering smaller than the center.

Thanks for your note, Virginia!

Comment by s t a c i — September 3, 2012 @ 1:58 pm

56. Thanks so much for sharing this pattern! I have made several log cabin afghans but never one in block style. I had always wanted to but was unsure how to do it, but now with your excellent instructions I am well on my way! Again, thanks for sharing your expertise.

Comment by Stephanie — September 7, 2012 @ 6:26 pm

57. I KNEW there was a reason I couldn’t throw out my leftover bits!!!! Now everyone who has nagged at me to throw them out or donate them will eat their words.

Just wait until they see the wonderful blanket I’m going to make. HOARDER??? Not likely. I’m thrifty and creative. So there!

Comment by Karen — September 9, 2012 @ 3:42 pm

58. […] For the free pattern go to http://verypink.com/2012/02/15/log-cabin-scrap-blanket/ […]

Pingback by Knit a Log Cabin Blanket | Frugal Country — September 12, 2012 @ 12:00 pm

59. Hi Staci! I recently taught myself to knit using your videos as a sort of therapy while we are going though secondary infirtility. And it turns out I really love it which is due to your videos! You are an excellent teacher. I believe I made 4 of your dish cloths in about the first 3 days after I found your videos:) I am doing the log cabin blanket right now because I needed something I could work on a little longer. But my question is a really basic one. Since I am so new to knitting I did not know if we count the cast on and bind off rows as rows in the pattern. The way I read the pattern I am thinking no but wanted to ask just in case. Thanks! Becca

Comment by Rebecca — September 22, 2012 @ 9:45 am

60. HI Rebecca – thanks for the note. In most patterns, you are not going to count the CO or BO rows as a row of knitting.

In the case of this blanket, you are going to count the ridges, which are each two rows, as I demonstrate in the video. The CO row, plus one more row, makes one ridge. So you are sort of counting the CO row in this blanket. (The same is true with the rows you pick up and knit after working the center square).

Comment by s t a c i — September 22, 2012 @ 10:02 am

61. Yes that helps so much! Thanks! :)

Comment by Rebecca — September 22, 2012 @ 8:48 pm

62. This is to continue my note from above. I finished the throw and am very pleased with it, I made it with 6 squares and knitted the border after all blocks were finished. I then connected the two neighboring blocks together, then knitted these blocks together along the edges, then conneted the longer crosswise row along the top and bottom all as one. Made for long rows of garter, but it has worked out nicely and I am pleased. I made the color for the connecting rows around out of a bright yellow which is a favorite of mine!

Thanks for the great pattern and I love it, as I gather more scraps of colors, I plan to make another and may make it a tad smaller by cutting the size of the of the rows and # of stitches of garter used to make a baby throw or smaller type of blanket.

Virginia Chase

Comment by Virginia Chase — September 24, 2012 @ 9:52 am

63. […] there is Very Pink’s lovely Log Cabin Scrap blanket (photo below by Very Pink).  It’s available as a free download on Ravelry and there is also a […]

Pingback by Things I Like Thursday: Knit List | iMake — September 27, 2012 @ 12:53 am

64. I know I read where someone asked where to purchase the blocking board, but now I can’t find it. Do you mind telling me again? Thank you!

Sharon

Comment by Sharon Bowman — October 4, 2012 @ 11:46 am

65. My Frequently Asked Questions page has information about many of the things you’ll see in the videos. Hope that helps!

Comment by s t a c i — October 4, 2012 @ 3:25 pm

What a wonderful teacher you are. This has provided me with so many useful hints and tips, a super pattern, and all so generously given for free.
    I have a huge stash, and so many left overs to choose from, I may end up making more than one!
    The one piece of advice that I will take on board is to ensure I actually take the time to block and steam my work. I can totally understand why you emphasise the point.
    I too will be looking for a blocking board now.
    Thankyou so much for your time, knowledge and heartfelt enthusiasm.
    Happy stitching!
    Helen

Comment by Helen Hacker — October 14, 2012 @ 2:39 pm

67. hi 1st time I have seen any of your tutorials actually was looking on u tube for a crochet stitch but somehow got carry to this pattern just started a project tonight but I am going to put that on hold to do this. Just wish there was somewhere I could buy the yarn cheaper although I have loads of scrap bits and bobs.. Having trouble downloading pattern but it is probably me not really to good with computers….lol
    many thanks
    Julie from England

Comment by julie — October 16, 2012 @ 6:22 pm

68. What does “for the love of my kidneys: mean? I howled when I saw that.

Comment by Sharon Bowman — October 18, 2012 @ 11:25 am

69. You are my idiol. No stash, how can that be. That is my goal. I have even donated 6 boxes to our church. Its crazy to be a yarn hoarder. Thanks Jodi

Comment by Jodi Palmer — October 20, 2012 @ 7:54 am

70. My question is can I only use 3 colors I want to
    make a blanket but only use three colors? I love
    your website I am a beginner and thus site really
    helps.

Comment by Terri — October 20, 2012 @ 10:01 am

71. Does anyone know of something to use besides a bandaid to protect the R forefinger when knitting? Thanks anyone.

Comment by Sharon Bowman — October 23, 2012 @ 11:54 pm

72. estupendo. lastima no tengo material para ralizar esta maravilla

Comment by mercedesgarcia — October 26, 2012 @ 9:10 am

73. I love the pattern! I will be making a purse with part of my “leftovers”! Thank you for the inspiration!

Comment by Clemencia Amir — October 30, 2012 @ 10:11 pm

74. […] Get your free pattern and follow along: http://verypink.com/2012/02/15/log-cabin-scrap-blanket/ […]

Pingback by Community magazine, Manchester, Online magazine, Hulme,Community Online Magazine – Hulme Manchester — November 6, 2012 @ 5:23 pm

75. Thank you for this wonderful pattern to use up lots of my “end of ball” yarns.
    I will be starting a blanket very soon. Thanks again.

Comment by Margaret — November 8, 2012 @ 8:43 am

76. I love this pattern! I downloaded it a couple weeks ago and I am almost done with the first block.I love all of your videos! I was hoping that you could make a free video on how to make a cable hat?

Comment by kylie — November 10, 2012 @ 11:34 am

77. Yes – I have a cabled earflap cap pattern and tutorial here:

Comment by s t a c i — November 10, 2012 @ 11:58 am

78. The blanket is colorful and beautiful. Have been a knitter for a few years.
    I make beanies for newborns.

Comment by Armande — November 10, 2012 @ 10:11 pm

79. Thank you for this pattern.
    This is very simple but very lovely.
    I am korean so I can’t speak English.
    Quality day, I hope someday English easier.
    See you next.
    bye.

Comment by supiama — December 10, 2012 @ 11:03 pm

80. Hi Staci! I LOVE this blanket! You have taught me several things through your tutorials. But i have a question. When you say stashless does that mean no yarn stash? Or you don’t start another project until the 1st is finished?

Comment by Hannah — December 12, 2012 @ 12:59 am

81. Hi Hannah – yes, that is true. I have no yarn stashed. The only yarn in my house is leftover bits from other projects. I buy yarn as I need it, and I only have one project going at a time.

Comment by s t a c i — December 12, 2012 @ 8:41 am

82. I absolutely love this tutorial.Can’t wait to look at more of your work

Comment by pramila — December 12, 2012 @ 1:07 pm

83. Dear Staci,
    This is a super beautiful piece of work. I am starting this week for a patchwork begspread for my granddaughters”marriage.
    Thank you so much for inspiring us and giving us all this free advice.
    LoveLucette

Comment by Lucette vandenberghe — December 14, 2012 @ 1:18 am

84. I cant open this link. Im new to knitting and would really love to try this one any suggestions as to what to do to help.

Comment by Carmen S. Jones — December 15, 2012 @ 3:41 pm

85. Try getting it directly from my Ravelry page here:

Comment by s t a c i — December 15, 2012 @ 3:58 pm

86. I actually found your web site by accident. I was looking up how to loom a blanket when I found you Log Cabin Scrap Blanket. It looks so easy that I’m going to set the loom aside. I’ve done a couple of scarves and hats so I’m pretty excited to get started on my blanket. Unfortunately, where I am in the world at the moment yarn isn’t easy to come by or readily available. So, it will not technically be a “Scrap” Blanket. Good thing I already plan to make it bigger. Anyway, I will have plenty of scrap now! Thank you for your beautifully done videos. They truely are the best I’ve seen. I finally understand the purl stitch. Being a lefty I was trilled to seen a video comparing the two hands.

Comment by KiTTy — December 16, 2012 @ 3:48 pm

87. This is a wonderful pattern. My girlfriend just discovered the fabric version and is making 2 log cabin quilts for Christmas. I am very excited to try this pattern in knitting. Your tutorial makes it look so easy. If I am successful, I will give my friend and her husband the knitted version of the log cabin quilt. Once she sees it, I know she will want to try it too. Thank you so much for the great pattern and your excellent tutorials.

Comment by Sharon Tackett — December 20, 2012 @ 3:41 am

88. This is absolutely gorgeous. I have always loved log cabin quilts, but I HATE sewing, so would never attempt quilting. However, I LOVE knitting and crocheting, but have never found a really nice knitted log cabin pattern. I inherited a stash from my mother-in-law and want to surprise my husband with a quilt from his mom’s wool. Hopefully there will be enough left-overs to make pillow covers for all the grandchildren.

Comment by heather — December 25, 2012 @ 11:47 pm

89. I am almost done with my log cabin blanket! Your tutorial has been extremely helpful along the way! My one question is, should I block before or after I knit the final border around each piece? I know that I’d have to measure differently for each piece if it’s after doing the border because not every edge is as thick as each other (the 5 ridges vs 10 ridges). Thank you again for an amazing tutorial!

Comment by Brianna — December 29, 2012 @ 4:12 pm

90. Hi Brianna – most questions about this blanket (including a section on blocking) are answered here on the Log Cabin FAQ page. Hope that helps!

Comment by s t a c i — December 29, 2012 @ 4:36 pm

91. Do you have a version of this quilt for sport or baby yarn? I have a ton of scraps in those weights that I would like to use up. Thanks

Comment by Joanne — January 1, 2013 @ 8:30 am

92. Thank you sooooo much for not only taking the initiative and time to do this wonderfully comprehensive step-by-step video, but also for your extremely clear discussion at every step. I have been knitting for about thirty years, but I have never ventured into this type of a project, which is now close to the top of my long list of Things To Do in 2013, 2014, and 2015. You are clearly most sensitive to the creativity implied in this seemingly easy project. Thank you again, and all good wishes for the new year. And for 2014. And 2015.

Dr. Arnovick

Comment by Dr. Peter G. Arnovick — January 1, 2013 @ 5:54 pm

93. Hi Joanne – please see my Log Cabin FAQ page for information about substituting yarns. You can really use any yarn for this blanket, as long as you’re consistent throughout the blanket.

Comment by s t a c i — January 2, 2013 @ 7:49 am

94. When you say knit for 20 ridges I finally figured out that means to knit 40 rows but when I bind off I end up on opposite side so do I need to knit for 41 row and then bind off? Same if I need to knit 10 ridges do I need to knit 21 rows to end up on right side of project?

Comment by Vilda — January 5, 2013 @ 5:23 pm

95. Vilda – if you do a long-tail cast-on, that actually creates a half of a ridge. For best results, count ridges, not rows – and always bind-off on the right side of the work.

Comment by s t a c i — January 5, 2013 @ 10:15 pm

96. Hello,

I started knitting in Nov. (2012). I began with potholders for family for Christmas (we try to do homemade instead of just buying each other gifts). Then I made scarves for a preschool room I work with for their dressup area. I am collecting patterns for future projects that look fun and challenging. I stumbled on this by accident and I don’t have any scrap yarn so I bought some and challenging myself to make a quilt for my queen size bed. Where are some good places to look for scrap yarn? I’ve tried the recycling center in the area and the local Goodwill stores. By the way, I love the video tutorials they are so easy to follow!
    Melissa

Comment by Melissa Chambers — January 12, 2013 @ 2:58 pm

97. Hi Melissa – thank you for the note. I’m afraid I have no idea where one can find scrap yarn…I spend all of my time trying to use up what I have here! I recommend just using what you have leftover from other projects, even if it means that your blanket will take a long time to finish. It will end up being a sort of “memory blanket” as you look over the different strips in the blanket and remember the original project you knit with that yarn.

Comment by s t a c i — January 12, 2013 @ 3:06 pm

98. Can I buy one of these log cabin blankets?

Comment by shannon cloud — January 14, 2013 @ 7:57 pm

99. Hi Shannon – yes, I do sometimes do knitting on commission if there is something that someone really wants…but this is a lot of knitting and would be very expensive! It would be much less expensive (and much more fun) to learn to knit yourself and make one.

Comment by s t a c i — January 15, 2013 @ 7:37 am

100. I have a question that I didn’t see asked so here goes…in watching the placement of the blocks is there a place that you have that I can print out the diagram of the log cabin blanket to make sure the colors work with each other? I am doing a college log cabin blanket starting with TN orange and white. Thank you and I have learned so much from watching your videos.

Comment by Lisa — January 23, 2013 @ 2:50 pm

101. Lisa – I’m not sure I understand your question, but I’ll give it a shot. Are you referring to the paper cutouts I use to demonstrate placement? I used graph paper and colored pencils for that…very low tech.

Comment by s t a c i — January 23, 2013 @ 3:42 pm

102. Yes the paper cut outs is what I was talking about. ok I will try to make my own. Thank you

Comment by Lisa — January 23, 2013 @ 3:55 pm

103. I love this blanket and would like to start one! I am thinking of using a self-striping yarn such as Bernat Mosaic and then I don’t have to change colours at the corners. If I am going to do this, I shouldn’t have that extra stitch of the odd colour when I change colours, so I should be able to avoid knitting two together at the end of the row, is that right? Hopefully my question makes sense? Thanks very much for the beautiful pattern!

Comment by Alissa — January 31, 2013 @ 11:42 am

104. Alissa – you’ll still want to follow the pattern as written, even if you’re not changing color. (The borders are worked the same way without changing colors.) The loop from the previous strip and the k2tog create a smooth transition from one strip to the next, even if you’re continuing with the same color.

Comment by s t a c i — January 31, 2013 @ 1:10 pm

105. Thanks very much Staci! One more question for you – do you slip the first knit stitch of each row or just knit every stitch? Thanks again for your help! I’m doing this in Patons Classic Wool (I already have a few balls worth of scraps so will pick up additional balls to finish it).

Comment by Alissa — January 31, 2013 @ 11:53 pm

106. OK Staci, thanks so much for your help! It is very much appreciated :)

Comment by Alissa — February 1, 2013 @ 7:57 pm

107. Love it and have been knitting it since I found the pattern. Lots of stash left and I have 6 blocks done. I’ve adjusted so that I’m making it 4 blocks by 4 blocks but leaving the option of 4 x 5 so that it will be more bed size. Thanks for the pattern!

Comment by Bonnie — February 8, 2013 @ 7:18 am

108. Will a beginner knitter be able to do this? I have made hats and scarves this year – sweaters, afghans, 30 years ago – can I do it??? Or is it on an Intermediate to Skilled level?

Thanx! BC

Comment by Bev Conway — February 8, 2013 @ 11:18 am

109. Bev – take a look at the pattern to get a better idea. I’d say this is can be knit by a beginner, with the help of the videos.

Comment by s t a c i — February 8, 2013 @ 11:30 am

110. Does this need to be knit in worsted weight yarn, or can you use bulky yarn? I use mainly Lion Brand Homespun for prayer shawls, baby blankets, and the occasional hat, so I have tons of leftovers and need something to do with them. The part that concerns me is the texture of the Homespun – would that work out okay?

I’m also wondering if, when knitting the borders, I could knit the entire 10 ridges between blocks, seam it to the next block, and so on, THEN pick up & knit the entire 10 ridges below the first row for all the blocks together. Sort of like, in quilting, where you sew the blocks in rows, then sew the rows together. Would that work?

Comment by Ladygray — February 11, 2013 @ 11:03 am

111. Please take a look at my Log Cabin Frequently Asked Questions page for more information on your question re: yarn weight:

Regarding your question on borders and seaming – you can certainly do it that way. I explain it the way I do so that the seams are evenly spaced between the blocks.

Comment by s t a c i — February 11, 2013 @ 11:27 am

112. I just want to say “I am SO EXCITED about doing this blanket. Thank you for inspiring me to get started with knitting again. I am a beginner and know that I will have no trouble doing this pattern especially after watching you video.”

I will keep you posted and maybe send you a photo of the finished blanket.

Comment by Debra — February 13, 2013 @ 2:19 am

113. Can a combination of wool and wool/acrylic blend be used together?

Comment by Kathleen — February 25, 2013 @ 8:14 am

114. You can use any yarn for this, as long as you’re consistent throughout the whole blanket. Please see my Log Cabin Frequently Asked Questions page for more info:

Comment by s t a c i — February 25, 2013 @ 8:17 am

115. Hey Staci, it’s me again…I am on strip 6 and the BO side is on the same side I started so I can’t turn 1/4 and start where I am supposed to…should I just do a regular BO and then just pick up from the correct place (the other side of the strip)…what did I do to have made that happen, everything was going along just fine :( I’ll rip it out if you want me to! Thanks!

Comment by Gena — March 17, 2013 @ 10:22 am

116. Gena – it’s important to BO on the right side (not wrong side) of your work. I recommend ripping it back and making it right, so that your blocks are all the same size, so they will seam up properly.

Comment by s t a c i — March 17, 2013 @ 11:14 am

117. OK, but I can’t figure out how that happened…all of the others have been right

Comment by Gena — March 17, 2013 @ 11:18 am

118. Hallo Stacy, thank you very much for your generosity. I am an Italian artist and mainly play with colours: normally I do not like complicate stitches, but this blanket of yours is really fascinating. I’ll try to follow your suggestions and make my afgans with the many, many yarns I have been buying in the last years. Again thank you, Lavinia from Florence, Italy.

Comment by Lavinia — March 22, 2013 @ 9:32 am

119. you say to use animal fiber yarn I do not know what that is what are some of the brand names of yarn that is please help me cuz i would really like to try and make that blank thank you

Comment by betty — March 23, 2013 @ 5:09 pm

120. Hi Betty – there are countless yarn companies and yarns that make yarn from animal fibers. I’m not sure what’s available where you live, but one good suggestion for yarn that is widely available in the US is Lion Brand Wool Ease. It is a nice, washable, and inexpensive wool blend. Hope that helps!

Comment by s t a c i — March 24, 2013 @ 7:19 am

121. Hi staci. Sorry its me again thank you for for getting back to me that fast. Got the yarn today. Well any ways I have something else to ask you. lol I was wondering can you use any kinda of needles to do that in? Cuz i watched you in that video. and the needles you was useing I have a hard time useing those kinda of needles. Also wanted to say I love your videos It helps me alot. I am the kinda of person that has to see how it is done. Not good at reading on how to do it. well thank you again betty

Comment by betty — March 24, 2013 @ 9:12 pm

122. Lovely pattern and a great idea, but I just don’t know if I can trust a knitter who doesn’t have a stash. :-)

Comment by Cornelia — March 25, 2013 @ 4:16 pm

123. I was wondering can you use any kinda of needles to do that in? Cuz i watched you in that video. and the needles you was useing I have a hard time useing those kinda of needles. Also wanted to say I love your videos It helps me alot. I am the kinda of person that has to see how it is done. Not good at reading on how to do it. well thank you again betty

Comment by betty — March 27, 2013 @ 7:50 am

124. Betty – you can use circular or straight needles for this project, whichever you prefer.

Comment by s t a c i — March 27, 2013 @ 8:38 am

125. Hi Staci. I have never knit before, saw your pattern for this blanket online and it inspired me to learn to knit! So I went to my library and checked out some books, watched your video tutorials and 2 weeks later have just finished my first block!! Thank you so much for your expertise. You are a great teacher!
    I do have a question though – I have just BO my last strip (8). Your instructions say to break the yarn and weave the end to secure it. Does that mean I pull my yarn through that last loop to make the loop tight? How do I then start with my border? With each previous strip we had a loop to continue with. I am a beginner so maybe my question is silly but I watched tour tutorials and I didn’t see a part that showed the beginning of knitting the borders. It went from the finished block to showing us a block with borders already started. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks again!
    Natalia

Comment by Natalia — March 29, 2013 @ 10:01 pm

126. Natalia – great job! You’re well on your way!

Regarding your question – please look at the pattern carefully. “Break the yarn, and weave the end through the last loop to secure it – but DO NOT WEAVE THIS END IN. We will be picking up this last loop again to do the border rows.” So you can secure this end temporarily, but you will be loosening that loop again when you start the border strips.

Comment by s t a c i — March 29, 2013 @ 11:11 pm

127. Hi Staci, love this blanket :) Might add this to my must knits pile :) Thank you.

Comment by AD — March 30, 2013 @ 5:15 am

128. This was so easy and a lot of fun!
    I do recommend wool though.

Comment by Lindsay — April 1, 2013 @ 3:57 pm

129. Hi Staci

Beautiful blanket, I would like to give it a try. Can you please tell me if the size of the needle in the US is equivalent to the size in the UK. Thank you

Comment by Pam — April 3, 2013 @ 3:45 am

130. Pam – I’ve updated the blog post to also give the metric needle size. For this blanket, I used 4.5mm. If you ever have a question about needle size conversion, you can find the answer in this chart: http://www.yarnfwd.com/main/needleconv.html

Comment by s t a c i — April 3, 2013 @ 8:07 am

131. Staci, I stumbled onto your directions and tutorials by chance, and I love this scrap blanket! Unlike you, I have stash yarn everywhere, but I have a piece going on each level of the house and 2 in the living room. I get bored and my fingers cramp, so I switch off. keeps it interesting. The tutorials are awesome!! Thanks so much!

Comment by Kathie McCarthy — April 4, 2013 @ 1:27 pm

132. This is great. I’m going to try it. The only thing is you say turn it counter clockwise, but you are turning it clockwise right?

Comment by Elise — April 12, 2013 @ 8:49 pm

133. Wow! what timing! Can’t wait to start this project. My mum was a quilter and for ages I have been trying to work out how to do the Log Cabin pattern. The tutorial is great and so well explained. Thank you so much.

Comment by Helen — April 13, 2013 @ 3:56 am

134. I just finished mine. It will be a house warming gift for my son and his family. Thank you for your wonderful tutorials.

Comment by Mary Ann — April 13, 2013 @ 11:58 am

135. I would like to download the Log Cabin Blanket (knit) but when I try my computer comes back and says ” This type of file can harm your computer. Do you want to keep Log Cabin Blanket.” As I just had many problems with my computer and it is now fixed I am fearful to download this pattern. Is there any other way that I would be able to get it?

It is beautiful and I am looking forward to using lots of left over yarn to make many of them.

Please help

Comment by Diane — April 15, 2013 @ 11:22 am

136. Diane – whether or not you can download PDF files is due to the way you have it setup on your own computer. The file download for this pattern is safe. You can trust the download.

Comment by s t a c i — April 15, 2013 @ 11:57 am

137. Hi I just want know if this pattern is real real easy

Comment by michelle — April 25, 2013 @ 8:49 pm

138. Hi Staci! Is it ok if I use U.S size 8 needles for this project? Thanks!

Comment by Walker — April 28, 2013 @ 8:17 am

139. Walker – you can use any needle size/yarn weight you like for this pattern, as long as you like the fabric you’re creating. The pattern will work, without alterations.

If you’re asking if a size 8 needle will result in the same size blanket as I’ve listed in the pattern – I can’t answer that. That all depends on your personal tension (or gauge, or stitches per inch). I list the recommended gauge in the pattern to get the results I got. If your tension is a little tighter than mine, it’s possible that a size 8 needle will get you the exact same as the pattern. If your tension is looser, you could end up with a much bigger blanket. You can check your stitches per inch to see what you’ll end up with when the blanket is finished.

Comment by s t a c i — April 28, 2013 @ 8:43 am

140. Hi Stacy…I love love love your website and especially this pattern..I am a very new knitter… so far I have only made two scarfs…I started out making a practice square and it turned out not bad for a beginner…my question is .. I made my square w/size ten needles…when I went back to review your notes i noticed that you recommended size 7…using the smaller needles will that give me a smaller square…thank you..Pennie

Comment by Pennie Bault — May 3, 2013 @ 7:56 am

141. Pennie – yes, larger needles will most likely give you a larger square (unless you are a very tight knitter). If you are happy with your square, you can continue to make the rest of the blanket using the same size needles. Your blanket will be bigger than I’ve listed in the pattern, but still a perfectly-functional blanket.

Comment by s t a c i — May 3, 2013 @ 8:22 am

142. How do i knit straight edges for border

Comment by maggie — May 13, 2013 @ 4:21 am

143. Hi Staci! I have finished all of my blocks and have steamed them. I just started the border colour on my first square and I am wondering if I still need the extra stitch on the first row of each border rectangle (the stitch that gets knitted together with another on row 2). Do I only need to do this when I am switching colours, or always, even when using the same colour? I am worried that if I keep the additional stitch, then pick up my stitches, I might forget to knit the stitches together on the next row because they are the same colour. Sorry for the confusing question – hopefully it makes sense. Thanks – Alissa

Comment by Alissa Foster — May 26, 2013 @ 9:51 pm

144. Hi Alyssa – yes, that makes sense. :) And yes – you do want to continue with that extra stitch, even in the border. It helps with a smooth transition from strip to strip, regardless of whether you’re changing colors or not.

Comment by s t a c i — May 26, 2013 @ 10:09 pm

145. Thanks Staci! One more question – do you steam the blocks once more after you knit the border on each of them? I just finished my first one with a border and it doesn’t look exactly square anymore. thanks – Alissa

Comment by Alissa Foster — May 27, 2013 @ 8:21 am

146. Yes, it’s a good idea to steam block after the borders, before seaming.

Comment by s t a c i — May 27, 2013 @ 9:04 am

147. Hello, thank you for posting this pattern. In really love it. I am considered a young knitter (14 years old :-) ) and I found it very easy to make. I’ve only been knitting for 5 years as a self taught girl. I was able to make the square in 1 TV episode and most other panels between 1-3 episodes. I’m kinda of a slow knitter XD but really thank you for making this tutorial

Comment by Tiffany Higbee — June 2, 2013 @ 10:38 pm

148. Can we please get this in PDF format so we can print them?

Thanks!

PS Maybe this feature is available and I am just not aware, please let me know?

Comment by Trudie Botes — June 5, 2013 @ 8:46 pm

149. Hi Trudie – yes, this pattern is a free PDF download. You can get your copy by clicking the words in all caps “FREE RAVELRY DOWNLOAD”, or by going to this Ravelry page:

Comment by s t a c i — June 5, 2013 @ 8:53 pm

150. Love this pattern. But have attempted to start it 3 times. I knit the first 20 ridges in the center square but when I bind off my tail and bind off loop end on opposite ends ( one on the left and one on the right) what am I doing wrong? Please give some assistance

Comment by Lynn — June 6, 2013 @ 7:40 am

151. Lynn – before you start the BO, make sure that you’re binding-off on the right-side of the work. If that means placing a clippie marker or a safety pin on the right-side of the work so you can tell one from the other, do it. I explain how to tell the difference in the video. If you used the long-tail cast-on (and not a knitted CO), your cast-on tail end will be hanging from the lower-left corner of your work when the right-side is facing you.

Comment by s t a c i — June 6, 2013 @ 8:05 am

152. I do a long tail cast on. Should I be counting my cast on as a row knitted ( I’m new to knitting and go by rows). What I have been attempting is i cast on then knit 40 rows but still bind off loop ends up at the opposite end.

Comment by Lynn — June 6, 2013 @ 9:22 am

153. Lynn – it is better to count ridges instead of rows. Your long-tail CO is actually one half of a ridge, and your first row is the second half. So that is 1 ridge. Then your 2nd and 3rd rows create the second ridge.

Comment by s t a c i — June 6, 2013 @ 9:31 am

154. Stacie,
    I finally got it. Was way over thinking it. I already have 2 panels done and my 17 year old has already laid claim to this afghan. Thanks so much for your fast, reliable help. I also just learned crochet. Do you crochet or do you know of any good web sites for instructions? Anyway, thanks again.

Comment by Lynn — June 10, 2013 @ 8:00 pm

155. Hi Stacy!
    Love your website and tutorials! You are an outstanding teacher. I´m new to knitting and I´m trying to knit the blanket. I´ve watched the video over and over and can´t figure out what I´m doing wrong. I´ve already started twice!
    Thing is I knit the first square, the first strip but then the last stich ends up in the wrong side ( that is to say if I put the work in the write side the last stich faces me so I cannot start the second strip properly. Could you help me out here please? Thanks!!

Comment by Cecilia — June 14, 2013 @ 8:59 am

156. Celia – it is likely that you are knitting one more row than necessary. It is best to count ridges, not rows. The cast-on counts for 1/2 of the first row, then the second row creates the first ridge.

Comment by s t a c i — June 14, 2013 @ 9:36 am

157. Hi Staci!
    I am starting to seam all of my blocks together and have a question for you. I am seaming them together in strips of three, then will seam together the strips. My quesion is, for seaming the longer strips together, should I use one long piece of yarn, or shorter pieces and break the yarn after each block? What do you recommend?
    Alissa

Comment by Alissa — June 14, 2013 @ 11:47 am

158. Hi Alissa – that is really just a personal preference. If you find it inconvenient to stitch with a long piece of yarn, use shorter pieces. I personally use a very long piece of yarn for long seams, to avoid having more ends to weave in.

Comment by s t a c i — June 15, 2013 @ 7:40 am

159. Great – thanks very much Staci!

Comment by Alissa — June 16, 2013 @ 8:58 pm

160. Hi Staci! Thanks for your previous answer. I´m trying to knit this blanket but it is not looking very neat in the transitions. Guess I still have to practice some more. I wanted to know if you have any tutorial on how to knit stripes. I think I might turn my project into a striped blanket since this one is not going so well. Thanks!!

Comment by Cecilia — June 23, 2013 @ 6:12 pm

161. When I pick up stitches along the garter stitch edge I have 2 yarns on the needle & I go in behind a stitch this leaves me a fairly large hole compared to the bind off edge. Should I only have 1 yarn on the needle when I pick up? This is an amazing project really great for carry along knitting Thank you for your sharing

Comment by lois cross — June 25, 2013 @ 10:35 am

162. Hi Lois – sorry, I don’t understand your question. “Go in behind a stitch”…? I’m not sure what that means. You can try asking again, or you can watch the video again…the video demonstrates how to pick up stitches better than I can explain it in email.

Comment by s t a c i — June 25, 2013 @ 11:17 am

163. […] Get your free pattern and follow along: http://verypink.com/2012/02/15/log-cabin-scrap-blanket/ […]

Pingback by Manchester247 – Learn to Knit a Log Cabin Blanket | Manchester 247 — July 10, 2013 @ 10:36 am

164. My Dearest Niece. This blanket is beautiful! I am so proud of you. Aunt Wanda

Comment by Aunt Wanda — July 11, 2013 @ 6:33 pm

165. Hi Staci, loved working on this blanket, have taken a picture and will try to send to you. Thank you so much for your tutorials they are so helpful and nothing beats actually watching something being done, you are a great teacher.

It seems I am not able to send the picture via this site. If you would like to supply me with an e-mail address I shall then be able to do that.

You can reach me at: cathy@iinet.net.au

Kind Regards,
    Cathy

Comment by Cathy — July 19, 2013 @ 6:26 pm

166. Hi Staci
    I havent been able to see on your video where you show how to start the (black) borders around each square. Some edges are 5 ridges & some 10 according to where the square is in the blanket BUT wont it make the squares lob sided, if you get my meaning?
    Have i missed seeing the instructions & know how?
    Thanks

Comment by Pamela — July 27, 2013 @ 4:00 am

167. Pamela – the video explains it better than I can here in email…the outside edges of the blanket have 10 ridges, and the inside edges have 5. That is so when you seam the blanket, you’ll seem inside edge to inside edge, and 5 ridges + 5 ridges will equal 10 ridges. That will make every border, around every block 10 ridges.

Comment by s t a c i — July 27, 2013 @ 7:17 am

168. Hi Staci

I’ve have just completed a log cabin blanket for my granddaughter (using 5 colours for the square and one for the border), it’s beautiful. Thank you so much for your easy to understand tutorials that I stumbled across on Youtube.

Comment by Christine — August 7, 2013 @ 4:29 am

169. Hi your easy to understand- thx for the freeness of the patterns
    Im not sure after the first 2 or 3 blocks which are attached to the middle logcabin square…not sure how many more sts to pickup
    my hubby will copy the pattern and I will hopefully understand everything I need to know…that wasn’t included in directions on You Tube.
    can u try to come up with a pattern to use different fibers of yarn in? ie: to use a wool blend and a acryilic and use them together? maybe a rug where it may not matter what is used? (so many scraps left to use up)
    this is gorgeous. I saw a lady use all the same fiber yarns to make a continuous log cabin afagan…one huge huge square- she kept on going round and round with scraps (it was square shapped) I worked out…but your smaller squared log cabin is MUCH prettier. Thx Debbie from Freeport, MI. a Grama knitter and yes I sit in a rocking chair LOL a padded LOG rocker in a log cabin home we built hahha

Comment by Deb — August 22, 2013 @ 10:15 am

I happened to stumble across your youtube video in June and immediately started a blanket. I am happy to say that with your direction I started and completed this project just in time to give to my Mother-in-law for her birthday yesterday. It came out beautifully. Now I will have to do one for myself. Thanks so much for the pattern and tutorials.

Ravelry Handle: brwnsuga

Comment by Kim — August 27, 2013 @ 10:15 am

When you first made this blanket, how did you know what colors looked good next
    To each other? What did you do when you could figure out what color to use next
    To certain colors? I am on my 8th square of a 25squares for my log cabin blanket,
    I dont know what color to use next. The colors next to it would be purple, navy blue,
    Aqua green and black for the border. Please let me know how you fix these type of problems.
    Clara

Comment by Clara — September 4, 2013 @ 11:20 pm

172. Hi Clara – if you take a look at my Log Cabin Frequently Asked Questions page, your question is the first question I address! You can find it here:

Comment by s t a c i — September 5, 2013 @ 7:21 am

173. […] D1 – made by me. Log Cabin Blanket-style. […]

Pingback by FO Friday 48 | ordinary moments — September 6, 2013 @ 4:21 pm

174. Staci…I found your tutorial so very instructive…made me wish my knitting teacher had been half as good as you, and she too was very good. I was enthralled with your sewing seams technique, and your ‘magic’. Totally amazing. I haven’t had a chance to look yet, but do you teach crochet also? I’m trying to learn this, and at age 75, the motions just aren’t natural to me like knitting is. I signed up for a very expensive ONE DAY class at JoAnne’s and paid for a class on Annie’s, but I’m just not grasping something. I watched you do some crocheting, but like all the others, the moves are just foreign to me…I hear its faster than knitting and would still like to learn how and learn to feel comfortable with the process. Yes, it took me a while to feel comfortable with knitting, but not this long. lol Thanks for your wonderful, generous instructions.

Comment by amethyst — September 27, 2013 @ 6:54 pm

175. Hi Staci wow thank you so much just finished over 800 blocks in different sizes after watching you tutorial I know now how to sew them together. I tried your log cabin but I casted on with needles it didn’t work so well now I have to learn your cast on anyway that’s my mission today, will let your know how I did. Thanks Lynette :-)

Comment by Lynette HO — September 28, 2013 @ 3:42 am

176. Hi Staci. I started my blanket with my scrap yarn and its turning up to be one of the most beautiful blanket i’ve knitted in years. What a great idea. Thanks

Comment by La tricoteuse — October 3, 2013 @ 8:41 pm

177. Thank you Staci. Not only is your work beautiful, but you are such an inspirational and brilliant teacher!

Comment by Tina — October 13, 2013 @ 10:35 pm

I leave a comment not because I have a question, but just to thank you. I explain: I’m a french mom of three who is learning knitting for a few months…. Since I was pregnant with my first child. Hopefully I undestand English, and I’ve got a tape measure with meter and inches;-) And thanks to you I understand better some techniques that I would do in french language. Actually I was looking for some crochet lessons, and I just saw your log cabin blanket video. I wanted to start a longterm project for a long time, and I finally got it. And your videos are incredibles, my knitting will be better thanks to you.

Pardon my english, but I just wanted to share the anecdote.

Now your website is in my favourites! Have a nice day,

Rorie

Comment by Rorie — October 23, 2013 @ 2:34 am

179. […] called a Log Cabin Blanket and the pattern is quite simple not to mention free, there’s even a youtube video (at the […]

Pingback by My Knitting Project | My Curly Potential — November 6, 2013 @ 12:26 pm

180. Hi Staci! I have finished all my squares and am knitting the borders. I decided to use a quilting technique and knitting full borders according to a schematic of the squares I drew. The four corners are ten ridges around and the rest are either top and bottom or two sides, two are three sides, and three are bottom only. I hope this is doesn’t sound confusing. But it is working, and I keep the squares in order with a numbered sticky note pinned to the upper left corner of each square. I have oriented them clockwise with block #1 having the first strip on the center square on the left. I am knitting the borders from a red tweedy yarn. I have also been traditional in knitting the center square in red, as in quilting. Loving the look, thanks so much for this pattern! I am toying with the idea of knitting a back right to the joined squares, picking up stitches along the horizontal side then incorporating a new stitch from the vertical side with a knit two together. That will be a lot of stitches across, so I’m not sure I want to tackle that, but I would like a finished look to the whole thing, we’ll see!

Comment by Barbara — November 7, 2013 @ 12:48 pm

181. Hi again, I was looking at some of the questions other knitters have asked and your answers. In response to one knitter you said that if you use the long-tail cast on, as I do, that on the right side of the work the tail will be on the left bottom corner. When I cast on with the long tail method, the tail is in the right bottom corner with the right side facing. The opposite is true for me if I use the knitted cast on or the cable cast on. I’m wondering if you have a different way of doing the long tail CO? I have also experimented with the crochet CO, and the tail for that ends up on the left corner. I guess there are many different COs, I have seen some complicated ones in books, I keep it simple! Thanks again!

Comment by Barbara — November 7, 2013 @ 1:15 pm

182. […] ~ pattern & tutorial at this link —>(via v e r y p i n k . c o m » Log Cabin Scrap Blanket) […]

Pingback by Anna Fleissner — November 9, 2013 @ 4:11 pm

I rarely like to leave messages on blogs but I really wanted to let you know how wonderful I thought your project was! I love it to death! I have a gallon size container full of yarn that I have no idea what to do with. I am so glad I found your website and your tutorial on how to knit this beautiful blanket. Thank you so much for posting this!!

Comment by Lily — November 22, 2013 @ 9:47 pm

184. Hi Stacy, I recently found this website while looking for a easy pattern for a dish cloth. I had just started actually knitting things recently, I made a couple of the dish cloths that you had made in one of your videos. Loved it and found the video for this on YouTube. I am almost completed my 1st block; I bought 3 different colors as I didn’t have “scrap” yarn. So far, I love the way it’s looking! I love your videos, they are really easy to understand especially for a beginner knitter. Thank you for making it possible for me to learn how to CO, I couldn’t understand the technique to it until I watched your videos. Thank you again.

Comment by Alisha L — November 26, 2013 @ 5:00 am

185. Hi Stacy. Love this pattern and started a baby blanket with steel blue, steel gray, white and black. It looks very cool so far but realized in one of the strips already bound and attached, that I made mistake in a stitch. Looks like I dropped or twisted. Any way to fix that without having to undo the strip? Thanks for your help. I love your site BTW. So very clear and helpful.

Comment by Debbie — December 3, 2013 @ 12:45 pm

186. Debbie – if you can undo the bind-off for that strip, you can drop down into the column of stitches and fix it using this technique:
    Otherwise, your best bet is to rip back to correct it, or just call it a “design feature”.

Comment by s t a c i — December 3, 2013 @ 4:00 pm

187. I love this pattern! I tried one similar to it, but it was angular (all sides but the middle were “L” shaped and I just couldn’t understand the directions, no matter how hard I tried! Thanks so much for posting this and the Videos are just awesome. So Helpful!! You’re so generous to share all this. May God Bless you!

Comment by Sandy — December 28, 2013 @ 6:05 pm

188. I am unable to view the video. I’ve tried several times and I keep getting message that an error has occurred, please try again later. I don’t know if it is your site or my computer. Since I see a comment posted Dec. 28, 2013 I’m thinking it may be my problem. What are the video requirements to view the tutorial? The blanket looks like it would be perfect for a young guy’s room. Classy but not frilly.

Comment by Kay — January 3, 2014 @ 6:22 am

189. Kay – the videos are running fine…you may need to refresh your browser. If you’re still having trouble viewing the videos, I’ll bet that you’re unable to view any YouTube videos, which may mean that you’re missing a plugin. (Your browser should automatically alert you to this. If it doesn’t, you might want to visit the YouTube help section.)

Here is a link to watch the video directly on YouTube (and off my website), see if this helps:

Comment by s t a c i — January 3, 2014 @ 9:03 am

190. Merhabalar Staci,

Log Cabin Scrap Blanket projenizi çok be?endim… Çok te?ekkür ediyorum.

Sitenizi ve videolar?n?z? ilgiyle ve be?enerek takip ediyorum. Çok ba?ar?l? buluyorum. Sizi tebrik ediyorum. Ba?ar?lar?n?z?n devam?n? diliyorum.

Sevgiler, selamlar… Thank you very much…
    Müjgan
    Üsküdar/?stanbul

Comment by Müjgan — January 4, 2014 @ 12:15 pm

You used black as your boarder in the video but then you said if you would have know it was going to be hard to see and switched it to a brown color. Well what about using a light or white for the boarder? I did all my center squares in white and I was thinking of a white board too. What is your opinion about that? Cause I used some dark colors on strips 5 to 8 on a few squares and they wouldn’t show up as good. OR could you use any color for the boarder?
    Can’t wait to hear from you,
    Clara Hanson

Comment by Clara — January 6, 2014 @ 10:41 pm

192. Clara – lighter border colors are easier to see while seaming. The second blanket I did was in brown, and being able to see what I was doing while seaming was easier than it was with black!

Comment by s t a c i — January 6, 2014 @ 10:45 pm

193. thank you so much for the pattern- it’s fabulous, have been making my blocks but am stuck on the borders- i’ve watched the video what feels like a million times and simply don’t get it- the printed pattern tells me the info for the borders is found on the video but i am stuck- i am really not a great knitter and don’t have a creative gene in my body so that combo is making understanding what to do once i’ve completed the block nearly impossible- can you please give me some direction, sorry to be SO DUMB!thanks again for the pattern, adrienne

Comment by AdrienneMoucheraud — January 11, 2014 @ 7:22 am

194. Adrienne – the borders are worked like any other strip, the only difference is you don’t change color when you change sides. Take a look at my Log Cabin Frequently Asked Questions page, which will answer most questions you might have (including this one): http://verypink.com/2012/06/10/log-cabin-blanket-faq/

Comment by s t a c i — January 11, 2014 @ 9:45 am

195. I’m hooked and ready to start. I have used up all my yarn so would like to know if you have a wool favorite brand. Soft is important. I will be buying enough for a queen bed and figure maybe 9 or more different colors. Please advise. I love your website and utubes.

Comment by Virginia Reynolds — January 14, 2014 @ 11:36 am

196. I am ready to put all of my blocks together. But I want to be sure that I am working with “Right” sides when I bind them together. Correct?

Thank you for the GREAT tutorial!

Comment by Melissa — January 21, 2014 @ 9:18 am

197. Melissa – the video shows it better than I can explain it here…you want the right sides of the work facing you as you work the mattress stitch, so that the “ridge” the seam creates is on the back of the work.

Comment by s t a c i — January 21, 2014 @ 9:23 am

198. Due giorni fa ho terminato la mia coperta, che per me è davvero bellissima!
    Grazie per aver condiviso questo video che, al di là della lingua, è fatto così bene, che mi ha permesso di realizzare il mio primo lavoro con la tecnica del log cabin, tecnica che mi ha conquistata e che non abbandonero’!

Roberta

Comment by Roberta — January 22, 2014 @ 10:26 am

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.