March 7th, 2012

Mitered Squares

The technique is simple, the squares are fun to knit, and the uses are limitless…

The free Ravelry download includes instructions for the squares pictured above, as well as a basic “recipe” for any size, any yarn, any needle size. The video below will get you through the tricky parts.

Enjoy!

1. Thank you so very much, Staci. Will you be making a video on joining the squares and joining them as you go? (no sewing) Those would make great additions to this video. :-)

Comment by Mickey_NDY — March 7, 2012 @ 9:46 am

2. Mickey – I don’t currently have any plans to make that video, but the techniques for that are all demonstrated in my Log Cabin tutorial – which is pretty much just picking up stitches to start a new section.

Comment by s t a c i — March 7, 2012 @ 9:50 am

3. THANK YOU SO MUCH for adding this to the blog today. You made my day… I was getting discouraged because I felt like things aren’t going well with few projects I have to do and I wasn’t looking forward to starting some WIPS until I saw this!!! YAY!!! Thanks again!

Comment by Debbie — March 7, 2012 @ 9:51 am

4. Staci, this is a GREAT review for me, however, I’ll be passing this [as a link] to my daughter who is a new knitter.
    I’m hoping she has already sub-ed to your blog.
    Your vids are wonderful to watch and learn.
    hugs
    Gerry

Comment by GerryART — March 7, 2012 @ 2:24 pm

5. Great video….something new to use up scraps…..yay…thanks Staci!!

Comment by Betty — March 7, 2012 @ 3:38 pm

6. I’m already working on a blanket made with mitered squares but plan to incorporate some of the techniques I didn’t know about that you showed today – thank you !

Comment by Pammie — March 7, 2012 @ 4:58 pm

7. I love the pattern I’ve actually just started looking for a mitered square pattern but now I have the pattern way do I make with them?:( Help me staci!!!!!!! Lol :)

Comment by Lucas — March 7, 2012 @ 7:52 pm

8. Sorry – what do you mean, Lucas? You can make them any way you like – dishcloths, or pick-up stitches to combine multiple squares, or seam squares. Endless possibilities!

Comment by s t a c i — March 7, 2012 @ 7:56 pm

9. OK Staci, you’ve done it again. We asked for it and you came through. Your professionalism (always with your special brand of humor) make the techniques easy and fun to learn. I’ve been waiting for this one. Thanks for making me a “STACIHOLIC!”

Comment by Lynn Gebel — March 8, 2012 @ 10:02 am

10. Staci
    I will be doing this pattern for sure! I have one question I was wondering where you go your stitch marker rings? I love them

Comment by jan — March 9, 2012 @ 6:54 am

11. Hi Jan – the stitch markers I always use can be found here:

Currently the owner of this shop is out, but she’ll be back with the markers for sale again.

Comment by s t a c i — March 9, 2012 @ 9:01 am

12. I’ve been working on dishcloths using self-striping cotton since seeing this pattern. Fun! Thanks for another great video/pattern combo, Staci!

Comment by Shelly — March 9, 2012 @ 6:11 pm

13. This is the way “Wrap with Love” squares were knitted a few years ago. Australian charity thing. Their patterns are on the web, too. That pattern has been changed to K2 tog before the marker in every row. I love it when I do the pick up and cast on to make a row of squares without having to sew them tog. I am doing a baby rug at present with a cast on of 50 stitches. So far I am up to my 2nd column of squares. Fun TV knitting.

Comment by Pat — May 27, 2012 @ 2:31 am

14. [...] Mitered Squares [...]

Pingback by So you wanna make a blanket? « Sew Basted I Wanna Purl — August 22, 2012 @ 11:36 am

15. are these good as pot holders? protecting from heat that is….?

Comment by Jessica — October 17, 2012 @ 10:22 am

16. Hi Jessica – it really depends on the yarn and tension you use. I used worsted weight yarn with size 7 needles, and the squares I made would not be thick enough to protect against a hot pan handle. Thicker yarn, knit in a tight gauge, would be necessary.

Comment by s t a c i — October 17, 2012 @ 10:48 am

17. I staci! I love this video I was thinking of making a pillow or a blanket. Is there any way to make the block bigger?

Comment by kylie — November 10, 2012 @ 11:40 am

18. Yes – just keep increasing until you get the size you like, then start with the decreases.

Comment by s t a c i — November 10, 2012 @ 11:58 am

19. Thank you very much staci.I am going to start right now!

Comment by kylie — November 11, 2012 @ 10:35 am

20. love your site and the mobius scarf!

Comment by julie — November 28, 2012 @ 4:55 pm

21. I really like this pattern for mitred squares. But what do you do with the second colour yarn when you are finished with it? I am a beginner knitter. The answer may be obvious to a knitter with experience.

Comment by Florence — December 13, 2012 @ 3:55 pm

22. Florence, you can just cut the yarn when you’re finished with that color, leaving yourself about a six inch tail to weave in later.

Comment by s t a c i — December 13, 2012 @ 4:46 pm

23. I just discovered your website and videos and you make everything so clear. I experimented with block in sstockinette stitch and it looks beautiful that way, too.

Comment by Sanford Schimel — December 31, 2012 @ 3:00 pm

24. After looking tirelessly for an easy project for a beginner, but looks more advanced, I have found something I quite enjoy! Thank you so very much for the free pattern and how-to video! I have learned much from the “Basics” videos as well and will very much be using them in the future.

Comment by Kinna — January 9, 2013 @ 2:45 pm

25. I just finished knitting a mitered square afghan for my 21-yr-old grandson – 64 total squares, 2 each in the colors of each team in the NFL. Have photo if anyone would like to see, it is a riot of color, but so much fun to make. I joined the squares using mattress stitch, which was very succesful. Size is 70×70.
    Ronnie

Comment by ronnie — February 10, 2013 @ 12:13 pm

26. i have just finished my last block for the log cabin afgan and will start putting it together soon. would love another pattern using scrap yarn. any suggestions. thanks so much for your beaugiful pattterns and your tutorials.

Comment by joanne — February 22, 2013 @ 9:22 pm

27. I want to make a mitred square throw blanket and have been searching for the right variegated yarn. the dishcloth you use in this video as a sample work is the perfect yarn for my project. do you recall what kind of yarn that was and the color?
    thanks
    jessa

Comment by Jessa — April 24, 2013 @ 4:48 pm

28. to clarify about my last question, not the yarn you are actually teaching with, but the lime green/cream/blue finished dishcloth you show a couple of times as a sample of what you can do with this technique.
    thanks,
    jessa

Comment by Jessa — April 24, 2013 @ 4:50 pm

29. Hi Jessa – no, sorry, I don’t know what that yarn is. It is something a friend gave to me with no label!

Comment by s t a c i — April 24, 2013 @ 4:53 pm

Wow! These are super easy! I don’t know what I was so afraid of now?? Thank you for taking the “hairy scary” out of trying new techniques.

Comment by Donna G — April 26, 2013 @ 7:44 am

31. Hi Staci…
    What is the cast on number dor the dishcloth that you show in the dishcloth in the tutorial? Thank you for the videos. I am a fan!

Comment by Pamela — August 10, 2013 @ 5:41 am

32. Your style is really unique compared to other people I’ve read stuff from.
    I appreciate you for posting when you’ve got the opportunity, Guess I’ll just book mark this blog.

Look into my web page carpet cleaners ft lauderdale fl

Comment by carpet cleaners ft lauderdale fl — October 17, 2013 @ 12:48 am

33. Hi Staci- your videos are really so well-done. Cleanly filmed and edited, easy to follow, and you are very intuitive about what the knitter might need in order to fully understand and build skill. great job- i will subscribe. I am wondering if you are planning to instruct re: mitered corners, which are so different from mitered squares, in that the decreasing/increasing happens on the end. There is an issue with holes at the turning line, and i can’t seem to understand directions about making the corner without the holes there. If you are looking for video ideas, consider that one! thanks again.

Comment by Lucinda — October 21, 2013 @ 4:24 pm

34. Excellent post. Keep writing such kind of info on your page.

Im really impressed by your site.
    Hello there, You’ve done an excellent job. I’ll
    definitely digg it and individually suggest to my friends.
    I’m sure they will be benefited from this website.

Comment by tree service in michgian — May 24, 2014 @ 1:38 pm

35. Hi there, all is going fine here and ofcourse every one is sharing information, that’s
    truly fine, keep up writing.

Comment by tree care pontiac — May 24, 2014 @ 1:48 pm

36. I’m an intermediate knitter and I have learned so much from your tutorials!! I love to watch them over and over. They are very easy to understand. Thanks so much! ( I always have my polish on,also love your hands :):):):):). )

Comment by Diane Angeli — July 12, 2014 @ 11:01 am

37. Thank you . I am following your design for a log cabin blanket . Making one for my grandson. I always go back to your tutorial.
    Very clear and enjoyable
    All the wat from the high Arctic,
    Yellowknife, NWT , Canada