October 10th, 2012

Weaving in Ends in Garter Stitch

So many different ways to weave in ends! Here I demonstrate how to do it in garter stitch (every row knit). To see my other videos on weaving in ends, visit the Weaving in Ends category page.

The sweater I’m wearing is my Ombre Dyed Sweater, pattern + video tutorial.

The sweater on the mannequin is my Zasio Sweater Coat, pattern + video tutorial.

I don’t remember the name of the yarn I’m using, but I do remember that it is a bulky wool/alpaca blend.

My nail color is by OPI, called “Every Month is Oktoberfest”.

1. I really appreciate your video! I love to knit but when I would weave in the ends it never looked just right. I am working on a baby sweater and I am going to try to weave in the ends like you showed.

Comment by Emily — October 12, 2012 @ 1:31 pm

2. I love how you anticipate every possible question whether knitting related or manicure related. All your tutorials are so great and have been such a help to me as I learn to knit.
    Thank you!

Comment by Stacie — October 13, 2012 @ 3:50 pm

3. Your tutorials are very helpful to a novice knitter. How do you finish weaving in ends? Do you just stop when you run out of yarn?

Comment by Pamela — December 1, 2012 @ 8:57 pm

4. Hi Pamela – depending on your gauge (and the stickiness of your yarn), you can just weave in the end for an inch or two, then cut it short. That is enough.

Comment by s t a c i — December 1, 2012 @ 10:36 pm

5. Hello,
    I just came upon your site as I was searching for a way to weave in the ends of a bath mitt I just completed in the garter stitch.

What a beautiful, neat way in which you have explained how to do this. Your video is the best in how to do this. I will definitely file these instructions away for future use.

Thanks so much.

Comment by Glad Freer — January 2, 2014 @ 3:39 pm

6. Thank you for the easy to follow directions. It looks great on my project.

Comment by Vicki M. — March 26, 2014 @ 6:53 pm

7. The “Weaving in Ends” method for garter stitch is giving me a problem: While I wove about 2-3 inches of each end using your method (which produces a beautifully concealed yarn initially!), the cut ends now are appearing all over both the right and wrong sides of the sweater. I cut them back, and they reappear. Alas, there isn’t enough yarn to attach to a needle to reinsert this stray yarn. I’m using Madelinetosh DK superwash on a size US 9 needle. Is the problem my yarn?? My needle size? Short of using glue, I’m not sure how to hide the yarn ends now. I’d appreciate any help! Thank you!

Comment by Melinda — April 13, 2014 @ 5:06 pm

8. Melinda – if you are using a yarn that is too slippery for the normal way of weaving in ends, I suggest this method:

Comment by s t a c i — April 13, 2014 @ 9:50 pm

9. I tried your cotton-yarn method, and it works beautifully! Thanks so much, Staci!

Comment by Melinda — April 14, 2014 @ 2:26 pm